VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 PM

I wanted a 4 seat too but didn't see it coming from Van's back in 1999.
I've been building the M14p powered Moose since the beginning of time...99. Most of it is flush solid riveted where I could get to it and flush Avexed where I couldn't. Doubt it'll help much speed wise. It's a fat wing. 4415 airfoil. Hoping for 130kts cruise. Soft thin 6061 T6 is not fun to solid rivet. I know after driving 38,000 rivets. Lots of stringers and close rivet spacing.
Finally getting close. I think Murphy's stuff is pretty self explanatory and simple. Support was fine. Don't know what they're like now that Darrel's in it again? He always seemed like a good guy to me. Some customers cannot be satisfied no matter what! I'm sure Scott McDaniels can testify to that
Always thought Van's was designed more like a certified plane though.
If you do build one, use the pops!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:16 AM

Default What’s Next?

I think Vans Aircraft will continue to improve on their products?
Reengineering The tip up canopy on the RV7 and RV9 are a natural progression for improvement.
The RV14 canopy fits together. It can be done.
I see new kits in my shop every year. There are improvements coming out all the time. I am in a unique place to see this. Believe, me they are listening.

I do not see, or think, we will see any new designs out of Vans Aircraft. In order to stay in business, the company will have to become leaner and more refined. Just look at the announcement about the RV3, RV4, and RV6. That is a good decision. Not many new starts a year on those models.
History is littered with failed aircraft companies. We want Ours to be around a long time.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 01-23-2018, 07:53 PM

Jay,, Just for discussion..
Yes, I agree, we want Vans to be around for a long time, and the kit plane biz has had many , many casualties... But..
Will simple improvements to vans current designs bring in new customers?
I dont think it would. (I could be wrong of course)
And..it appears the economy is coming back.. I supply industrial engines to manufacturers, and we have had an increase in 2017 like we have never had in the 23 years I have worked here. I realize that recreation aviation will come back slower that the base manufacturing in this country..but I think it will, and hopefully it will have an future effect on the aircraft market, which we all know is pretty well in the toilet.
With that being said, is it possible that stagnation/product offering in design will translate into degradation of market share? It usually does. When a leader of any market sits on its laurels with no new designs, it generally declines I think.
I sure hope Vans can remain lean enough, and efficient and keep going for a long time, but with no new designs, I dont think it can be as profitable as possible. New customers must be continually attracted to maintain, let alone increase. Obviously, it must be done with caution, not going too wild and risky and over-reaching. I think Vans has found the great combination of performance and affordability that hit the sweet spot in the market with the 7 and the 9, and the bulk of the builders market that is currently outside of Vans share, is in those that prefer High wing aircraft.
As I mentioned, I could be completely wrong too!
Kitfox IV (SOLD)
Luscombe 8A (for sale)