What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light Coves-to paint or not to paint?

asw20c

Well Known Member
I'm just about at the step where if you are going to paint the landing light coves, now is the time. Vans suggests that some paint it black, others white. I can envision an argument for both colors. Of course, the bottom line is that I want maximum light output for maximum likelihood that someone I might bump into will see me. Aesthetics are important too, but secondary. That seems to be an argument for either no paint all, including no primer, or to paint it white. What have others done? What kind of paint did you use?
I was at Johnson Creek up in Idaho a few years ago when that fatal midair occured at the approach end to the runway. Ever since, I have been singularly focused on making myself as visible as possible so this never happens to me.

Just did this on my QB wings. Black primer - I don't think color of the wing interior will affect the visibility of your landing lights - they project out. It's more about aesthetics of looking at the wing and seeing nothing but the light in there.

Back