VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2017, 01:52 PM

you are the second one to mention that. I'll take a look. Side note, prior to discovering the oil leak I was flying slow with high angle of attack for a considerable time, just for the fun of it. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but that was the only difference in my flying style.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 12-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Default this does not work

I was looking for powder and thought this was the stuff. this is not powder but rather some bubble spray. I'll try the athletes foot powder spray instead. Appreciate the tip.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-29-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
you are the second one to mention that. I'll take a look. Side note, prior to discovering the oil leak I was flying slow with high angle of attack for a considerable time, just for the fun of it. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but that was the only difference in my flying style.
It answers the question of why it only happens when you are flying, but can't find it running on the ground, if that turns out to be the case.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 12-30-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Crankcase Pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
Steve,

Haven't you previously posted about several issues with crankshaft seal leaks and blow-outs? I think the evidence is mounting that you may, in deed have an elevated crankcase pressure issue. All these oil leak problems in different areas of you engine are probably not just a coincidence. I would check your breather system very carefully!

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited by skylor : 12-31-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:05 AM

Default Another suggestion for you to check (easy):

I had a hard time tracing a oil leak looking like yours on my RV7A. I had a Mattituck built IO-360 with ECI cylinders installed. After checking everything and consulting VAF for advice, I opened the #2 cylinder valve cover, removed the nut holding the flat spring to the shroud tubes and found that the spring was so brittle it broke when I removed it. It had zero retaining force to the tubes and obviously the green rubber sealings at the crankcase was not sealing properly. Checked the other three cylinders and all had signs of different degrees of degradation. Replaced with Lycoming original springs and the leak was gone.

/Fredrik
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Back in the day when I worked for the airlines, we used Zyglo developer to find leaks. We would clean area with MEK then spray developer on the area. It worked great.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM

should have tried the zyglo developer first

well, I purchased athletes foot spray powder but it is clear and doesn't leave enough powder. so now, I purchased something called frost spray.

this stuff doesn't leave much of a powder

now on to Frost but have to wait a couple of days

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-31-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:48 AM

If the rings are not sealing well, you could have some excessive crankcase pressure, you can install this kit and create a vacuum and stop minor engine running oil leaks, I also installed the oil separator, these were installed on an old used engine and it is clean and dry.
https://antisplataero.com/products/c...m-kit-complete
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
If the rings are not sealing well, you could have some excessive crankcase pressure, you can install this kit and create a vacuum and stop minor engine running oil leaks, I also installed the oil separator, these were installed on an old used engine and it is clean and dry.
https://antisplataero.com/products/c...m-kit-complete
I had a lot of blow-by on the engine I put in my RV-10, a used IO-540V4A5. An oily belly was a nuisance but after about 90 hours the crankshaft seal started leaking also. The crankshaft seal leak got bad enough that I needed to replace it. I bite the bullet and ordered up 6 brand new Superior Millennium cylinder/power assemblies and a new crankshaft seal. That was the end of the oil leak mess.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 01-07-2018, 05:03 PM

I don't have a picture but oil source confirmed to be the top bolt in the middle of the case under the lifting strap. The roller lifter guides were leak free. The vent line is clear and open at the bottom so no back pressure. It is strange to me how I could develop a leak on the top middle case bolt after 600 hrs but it happened. I'll investigate the green loctite with vacuum remedy.