VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM

Default Certified O320 overhaul question

Curious, for a CERTIFIED engine I'm overhauling, must the crank and cases be sent out and tagged to call it "0" SMOH? (Not 0 total from factory)

If I mic everything and all tolerances, fits and clearances are within table of limits on all pieces, soft metal too, can I call it an overhaul, with the list of "arbitrary replacement" pieces changed too of course...ie...crank gear bolt, small rod end bushings etc

I can even use dye penetrant on case and crank and rods etc plus visual inspections with 10x glass.....and follow every direction in the overhaul manual and check all applicable SB, LETTERS and ADs.....can I theoretically put it all back together and call it 0SMOH?

Or is there something about the Certification process that can only be satisfied by it going out, being tagged and then put back together that legitimately then can be considered a 0smoh engine?

I don't see anything that requires a specific inspection such as magnetic particle on crank or rods either.

Not looking for "not wise" or other subjective answers, just purely respect to regs please. Any info appreciated.
47 pa11
91 RV 4
Old 12-30-2017, 12:37 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

To keep the engine "certified", it will need to be overhauled in acordance with the Lycomning Direct Drive Overhaul Manual (you can Google that, and find a PDF of it online). Section 7 deals with the crankcase and crank - I skimmed it quickly, and didn't see a reference that says it HAS to be sent out - but it needs to be measured and checked in accoradance with that chapter in order to satisfy the regs.

There's a lot to measure!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
To keep the engine "certified", it will need to be overhauled in acordance with the Lycomning Direct Drive Overhaul Manual (you can Google that, and find a PDF of it online). Section 7 deals with the crankcase and crank - I skimmed it quickly, and didn't see a reference that says it HAS to be sent out - but it needs to be measured and checked in accoradance with that chapter in order to satisfy the regs.

There's a lot to measure!
To keep it “certified”, I think the work has to be supervised by an A&P (or at least P)
Old 12-30-2017, 01:17 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
To keep it “certified”, I think the work has to be supervised by an A&P (or at least P)
Absolutely! I meant to write that, and forgot.....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com