Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2017, 05:03 PM

I started by using a friends ipad/foreflight for a trip to the U.S. as my paper maps and airport directories never showed up in time for the trip.(RV6) I then started using my daughters old ipad mini/foreflight for awhile. I just purchased the newest mini with the anti glare screen and two different ram mounts. I have a metal tunnel/console which i mount it to and it comes up beside my thigh on a perfect angle. The other mount comes off the passenger side up higher for when I am solo. Also have a nice knee board. Here's where the story gets interesting. The only thing a mounted touch screen is good for is when the plane is in the hangar. In a word turbulence. I use the need board exclusively as I can stabilize my fingers using my palm as the base and can operate efficiently in any conditions.When it is in either mount my hand is bouncing around. Pretty much a bad senerio. This leads me to the next thing. I have an old 295 mounted and thought I would "upgrade" to a newer gps but they are mostly touch screens which I think would be as bad as what I have just described with the ipad experience. The 295 has buttons that i can operate in turbulence. How is everyone else finding the operation of these touch screens in the rough stuff?
Old 12-29-2017, 05:15 PM

Also wanted to say that when I using my daughters mini i purchase a garmin gps that links by blue tooth. I had read that they recommended having one even if the ipad had it's own internal gps or not to ensure you did not loose your signal. First flight from Port Clinton OH to Bloomington Indiana I lost the gps signal at least 3 times. And every local flight I made it was disconnecting. Bought the new mini with internal gps and have never lost a signal ever 10,000 and below. Checked with a couple other RV driver friends with the ipad internal gps and they have never lost a signal either. Still have the garmin gps on board but it disconnects every time for some reason. I just purchased a trutrak gemini AP and wanted to upgrade my gps but am afraid of the touch screen.