What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank and leading edge assembly issue

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm back to the re-assembly on the wing, mounted the leading edge and now when I went to attach the tank back on, I can't get it lined up. The top side sits too far farward so I can't get the screw holes to line up. Of course, it all fit at one point before I prosealed.

I possibly could force it down with some straps but if I do that, will I ever be able to get it back on when I'm doing the final final assembly when I'm done?

The z-brackets are bolted down and the bottom side lines up okay.

I also have a few spots where the tank skin won't sit flush with the leading edge and it won't seat into the countersink holes. I thought it may have been some proseal not allowing it to sit flush with the splice, but I don't see any excess.

Any suggestions?

The top side screw holes not lining up...

IMG_4202-e1514510494604.jpg

The skin sitting high and won't go flush...

IMG_4203-e1514510441282.jpg

Proseal

Just a thought...Look at the Proseal bead on the aft edge of the baffle. Sometimes the bead if thick enough to touch the wing spar cap a d prevent the tank from mating. Usually it only effects the invoard end of the tank but if the bead is big, it could interfere on the spar itself. One of the tricks is to lay wax paper on the wing and actually mount the tank ( after a couple days) for a few days to allow the proseal to form.

Gents, thanks for the repsonse.

Larry, there's very little proseal seeping out of the baffle, so I don't think that's it.

Salto, of course that's possible, but I spread it pretty thin on those so if it were too thick, it's not in proportion to how much the alignment is out.

Still stumped!

Time to invoke a wooden block and a hammer. Lightly.

That was the factory recommendation 20 years ago when I had the same problem.

Try using 3 or so ratchet straps around the tank. You will need wood blocks against the rear spar to keep the straps from screwing up the wing skin trailing edge.

Carl

Carl,
I was going to do that but concerned about next time I have to put the tank back on after fitting the wings to the fuse. Does it settle into the place or will I end up having to strap it again? Which becomes more concerning when everything is in place.

Mating wings

Carl,
I was going to do that but concerned about next time I have to put the tank back on after fitting the wings to the fuse. Does it settle into the place or will I end up having to strap it again? Which becomes more concerning when everything is in place.

I didn't pull the tanks to mate the wings. In fact, they haven't been removed since install.

Carl,

Assuming you cleaned up any pro-seal that is hitting the spar (especially at the wing root) then once you strap it down it should set - or at least get better.

Carl

BTW - a two inch schotch brite wheel on an air grinder does a nice job cleaning up pro-seal from the rear baffle.

Thanks, that's great to know. I thought I read that it'll be coming apart again to do final assembly.

I'll double check the proseal and then give it some pressure with the straps.

Baffle rivets

I would check if the baffle rivets are hitting the spar. And make sure the baffle plates are in the correct location especially make sure left and right tank are not switched. I wouldnt hammer anything until everything else is exhausted. Seems somrthing changed.

Thanks, John.

At least I can rule the wrong tank issue. I only built one at a time and the other is securely on the other wing already.

Back