Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Interesting, since if you take away the 11% thickness (5.5% per side) of the low strength pure aluminum Alclad layer you are left with 0.0285" of the higher strength aluminum.

I presume both sides were sanded/polished approx. the same amount.
About the same amount on each side because the scoring was as bad on both sides. It's not super smooth. The thickness of most of the repair is about 0.030+ but there are a few thinner areas.

I'm actually going to delay ordering the new skin--might be able to live with this. I'm in no hurry to get the top skins riveted on. I think it's worthwhile to ask a local EAA tech counselor to have a look at the repair job.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:35 AM

You may have to do something like this down the road to repair damage, but why would you want to put something like this on a new airplane ? It's a major skin and on top for all the world to see....just say'in.