- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyator View Post
Sounds a bit curmudgeonly, but if you can afford to build an aircraft, and then own it, a cheap bandsaw and drill press are very minor purchases. They will come in handy more than once.
I use my scotchbrite wheel in my drill press for almost all deburring work.
Just my opinion, others will no doubt disagree.
Cheers, and happy Christmas
DaveH
+1 for this post. A cheap band saw and a drill press are must haves in my opinion, particularly if building a slow build kit. I'm a TC and I just see so many builders fabricating second rate parts (and spending inordinate amounts of time doing so) because they simply don't have the right tools for the task at hand.
If you fabricate enough second rate parts you eventually end up with a second rate aircraft.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Bandsaw??

So I have to ask, what happened to the 10 band saw u bought back in 2013, per your build log ??
I consider it a basic tool for building an RV.
RV 7A RV #9700
N325KS the Flying K
Built in SoCal KCCB, now @ KPXE
120 Hours in Year 1 & 4x cross the USA
2018 OSH - yes
Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
+1 for this post. A cheap band saw and a drill press are must haves in my opinion, particularly if building a slow build kit. I'm a TC and I just see so many builders fabricating second rate parts (and spending inordinate amounts of time doing so) because they simply don't have the right tools for the task at hand.
If you fabricate enough second rate parts you eventually end up with a second rate aircraft.
I absolutely agree on having the right tool for the job. As with most things it comes down to preference. I do have a bandsaw and have tried using it on a few parts but have gone back to hand tools mostly. For example many people seem to use the bandsaw to cut out stiffeners but I prefer to use snips.

Sometimes you have more control with hand tools and things don't get out of hand so quickly resulting in less parts ruined. Different strokes....

Now my drill press, that's another story. That I couldn't live without.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Fabricating

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon smith View Post
I'm guessing this piece is made from 2" X 2" X .125" aluminum angle as supplied by Van's. If correct this is usually 6061 T6. I'm curious, how many major fabrication projects like this are necessary to complete most of their kits? Ten, twenty, more?
Lots of them. Buy a good band saw. You'll be glad you did.
Others disagree but I find a low tooth count band blows through the thick stuff. I just cut outside the line and clean it up on the wheel.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:01 AM

It sounds more like you don't have a band saw because you don't have experience using one than a cost issue. If it is because of cost, the real cost of a tool is the difference in what you pay for it and what you can sell it for when you are done with it. That excludes any benefit you get from using it in time savings and quality of work you can produce with that tool.

Good luck on your build. I am sure you can find someone in your area to help learn the tricks of a band saw. Have fun!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon smith View Post
I'm guessing this piece is made from 2" X 2" X .125" aluminum angle as supplied by Van's. If correct this is usually 6061 T6. I'm curious, how many major fabrication projects like this are necessary to complete most of their kits? Ten, twenty, more?
Probably 20 or more.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 PM

Yea ... the T405 brackets. I used a scroll saw to cut up the stock to make the "make from" items to this point. After, a Craftsman 10" bandsaw (with a metal blade) was a godsend. RV builders: you need a bandsaw, even if it's a cheapo (like mine). The blades make it ..use Lenox; you won't be disappointed.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 12-23-2017, 01:12 AM

Default Band saw - yes!

I stupidly didn't buy a band saw, and regretted it several times during the build. Yes, you can work around not having one, but there are so many times when it will come in very handy. I'm basically done now so probably won't buy one, but every time I walk through that aisle at the hardware store I stop and drool...
Old 12-23-2017, 01:18 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Probably 20 or more.
Is that really the case?

The tank bracket is a part with curved cuts and is made from 3/16 thick material.

It the -7s and -9s are like the -6 (but I bet much more is cut for you ) then most of the other stuff that needs cutting from angle is thinner 1/16 and 1/8 stock and usually with fairly straight cuts. That is where a cut off wheel can do the job easily.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ