Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-17-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Did you also see the pretty -12 on the ramp? I saw the airplane taxi in, but didn't meet the owner.
That was Owen! He was with our group, but parked well away from the "front row" so that's why he's not in the photo. If I heard right, Steve's RV-8 is Suburu powered. Hopefully he's on the forum and will provide us some more information.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Default Subie RV-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
...If I heard right, Steve's RV-8 is Suburu powered. Hopefully he's on the forum and will provide us some more information.
Or it would be cool if he'd bring his performance data over and post it on the "Alternative Engine" forum! FAA.gov doesn't list an engine type; just reciprocating.

Doug

RV-9A Mazda 13B FWF
Old 12-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlomheim View Post
Or it would be cool if he'd bring his performance data over and post it on the "Alternative Engine" forum! FAA.gov doesn't list an engine type; just reciprocating.

Doug

RV-9A Mazda 13B FWF
Hey guys, yes, the power plant is an early version Eggenfellener H6 3L engine with stock Subaru ECU. I typically plan on 155 knots at 2200 RPM and about 10 gals per hour at 7-8k altitude. I burn 93 octane auto gas with ethanol, so fuel costs are still pretty low with the high burn rate. I have not tried to optimize\lean the fuel burn as have seen many other Subaru's not fared that well in this endeavor and I know my knowledge limits. I think there is some work I good do to reduce drag, but I never seem to get the energy to pull off the cowl and work on it, much easier to simply go fly.

I have been flying this plane for about 10 years and have just over 700 hours.

Steve

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 PM

We finally, FINALLY!, got some decent flying weather today, so Owen, Darwin and I saddled up and flew to Gwinnett County [LZU] for lunch today at the Flying Machine. It was roughly a 45 minute flight from Asheville, and the weather was clear, and smooth. On the way back, some scattered clouds had formed at ~6,000' over Toccoa, with associated light turbulence underneath. It was fun!

Old 01-31-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Reinforcements!

The RV contingent called in reinforcements from as far away as the Atlanta area; I was vastly outnumbered, and parked in back so as not to take away from those four beautiful RVs. We all took the courtesy van to Jason's Deli in Spartanburg. After lunch the RV-4s did some formation flying.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 AM

I need to join you guys some day! I have seen you guys at various NC/SC locations, and I'm always looking for new "local" interesting places.
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 02-01-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
I need to join you guys some day!
That would be great! If you (or anybody) would PM me your email or phone number. I'd be glad to contact you the next time we do one of these.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM

It was cold and windy, but we had another fly-out to Rutherfordton [KFQD] for lunch today. It was a short hop over the mountains (18 minutes) from Asheville, but the enchiladas were worth it. http://www.57alpha.com/

57A Cafe, the world's smallest restaurant?

This is the entire dining room! Most folks eat on the picnic tables outside, but not when it's 35 degrees!

Here's the kitchen:

Mark's RV had to park behind the rest of us due to lack of tie-downs:

We even found another Lancair there!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
I need to join you guys some day!
Quote:
That would be great! If you (or anybody) would PM me your email or phone number. I'd be glad to contact you the next time we do one of these.
Count me in also. Email sent. Will PM if the email bounces back.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It was cold and windy, but we had another fly-out to Rutherfordton [KFQD] for lunch today. It was a short hop over the mountains (18 minutes) from Asheville, but the enchiladas were worth it. http://www.57alpha.com/

57A Cafe, the world's smallest restaurant?

Didn't realize they were still open, just assumed they weren't. One of my best experiences(eating at 57alpha) followed one of my worst. Went to a warbird event at the Gatlinburg a few years back. NO FOOD unless you were a warbird. It was billed as open to everyone. What made it worse was one of the employees followed my 7 year old daughter around to make sure she was miserable. Hopped in the plane and flew over the mountains to Rutherfordton, the guy was out on the porch playing his guitar and we had a GREAT meal. I'm going back soon, that had to have been 12-15 years ago. Thanks for posting this.