What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-static

bob888

Well Known Member
Anyone installing static wicks on their -10? I took off in '1.25 vis in mist' with tops about 2500 ft. Immediately after takeoff I got static in both radios and on more than one frequency. I could still hear ATC but with some difficulty. I assume this was precipitation static since it went away as soon as I came out to VFR on top. Thus the question about static wicks.

static wicks

There are some threads relating to this. It isn't as simple as just bolting them on...and the wicks themselves can flutter and potentially fatigue the area where they are mounted.

Not saying they are a bad thing, just saying there is more to consider than just bolting them on...

I encountered P-Static once IFR in a 172, it was nearly terrifying. Shortly after the shop noted a nearly broken ground strap between the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator.

I really don't want to encounter that in the 10.

I installed wicks on my 10. Never had any issues in the clouds. I have one at the wing tip with a ground strap and one attached on the inboard side of the aileron. On the tail, one at each end of the hs and one at the bottom of the rudder.
You aren’t the only one with issues on the 10. Ivan K. Has had his VP200 totally shut down twice while in the clouds.

http://www.myrv10.com/tips/staticwicks/StaticWicks_RV10.jpg

Last edited:
Static wicks

There are some threads relating to this. It isn't as simple as just bolting them on...and the wicks themselves can flutter and potentially fatigue the area where they are mounted.

Not saying they are a bad thing, just saying there is more to consider than just bolting them on...

Could you elaborate a bit on that. Things like placement, number of wicks and the requirements for bonding straps etc.

wicks

While I was researching this for my -10, I came upon numerous sources available on the web. Some were generalized and some got in to surface mapping of the aircraft to determine p-static problem areas. Here is a generalized article:

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/10386443/precipitation-static-combating-noise-and-other-effects

I found it interesting that p-static problems change based on aircraft's finish...whether it is highly polished or painted with a high dielectric paint then buffed to a high gloss.

As far as the flutter of the wick itself, I will try and located the research paper a group of us wrote in college on this topic. We actually had some wind tunnel data for it. That has probably changed by now as there are many different types of rigid and semi-rigid wicks available, and they should mitigate the flutter tendencies. The wicks should, however, be mounted on structure or a doubler, as the skins are fairly thin...

I wonder..

.. how much of the problems (i.e. static affecting operations of electronics on board) are related to wiring that utilizes the airframe for a local ground, instead of running all grounds back to one spot..? It's probably a good idea to use grounding straps between control surfaces and airframe, but how much of the "static problems" could be avoided, simply by not having a bunch of stuff grounded to the airframe all over the place...?

???

Good question! If you read the AeroElectric Connection, Bob talks about proper grounding and ground loops, etc.

I wonder if there is a way to quantify the difference between using the airframe as a local ground and running a dedicated ground...

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I am not flying and a long way from flying; however, I understand my mission and have been installing static wicks as I have been building. I built doubler and mounting points for 2 on each elevator and 2 on the rudder. I plan 2 or 3 for the wings. Mouse has a drawing from Dayton Granger detailing required locations.

http://mouser.org/projects/rv-10/staticwicks.html

Don't forget to install grounding straps between the fixed and movable surfaces as you build if you intend to install them.

If you plan to never or rarely do IFR, then they are probably not necessary. I fly for a living so shooting approaches to 200 and a half is not a big deal and desire my airplane to have the system reliability to do so.

Bonding straps?

Don't forget to install grounding straps between the fixed and movable surfaces as you build if you intend to install them.

Could you give some details on how and where to install these grounding straps on a flying airplane? I expect that removal of the control surfaces will be necessary to accomplish this task.

I have had (twice) what I believe to be P-Static issues in my RV-10 both in IMC with temperatures below freezing.

Could you give some details on how and where to install these grounding straps on a flying airplane? I expect that removal of the control surfaces will be necessary to accomplish this task.

I have had (twice) what I believe to be P-Static issues in my RV-10 both in IMC with temperatures below freezing.

You would probably need to remove the surfaces. Here is a pic on where I installed them on the elevator. I installed a #10 screw and put 2 nuts on it. I debated the type but ultimately used a Lowes pilot supply cad plated #10. SS has too much resistance and Copper is too brittle.

RV-10-Emp_Page_42.jpg

20170802_102828.jpg

What size of strap is ideal for the bonding?? I'm part way through my empennage build and am going to add these. Thanks

Don't have static wicks on my 10 and while not statistically relevant, I haven't experienced any p-static flying through various forms of precip: mist, light rain, heavy rain, snow, and clouds. YMMV....

The strap shown in the above post is more than adequate and flexible enough to use to bypass around the control surface bearings. I believe it is 1/4" strap

Don't have static wicks on my 10 and while not statistically relevant, I haven't experienced any p-static flying through various forms of precip: mist, light rain, heavy rain, snow, and clouds. YMMV....

What's in your panel?

I think the Garmin systems might be a little more sensitive, but when it happened to me in the 172 the BendixKing radio in the stack was also useless.

What's in your panel?

I think the Garmin systems might be a little more sensitive, but when it happened to me in the 172 the BendixKing radio in the stack was also useless.

2-Screen non-touch Garmin G3X, a Garmin GTN 650, and a Garmin SL 30.

I operate in life under the pretenses of "rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them".

This is kinda like that old saying the only time you have too much fuel onboard is when you are on fire!

Back