Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccjbr6 View Post
Rather that manually desulfating the battery might a product like BatteryMinder work? I would be interested in what Odyssey has to say about that product. We kept one on our Concord battery in our Cirrus for several years and enjoyed excellent service life. http://batteryminders.com/
In the 15 years I have been using the BatteryMinders I have never had to replace an Odyssey.

Also before shut down I turnoff most amp drawing avionics and allow the battery to charge with the alternator until the volts are at least 14.2. This is especially important at night taxiing with lights on. Goes back to my 57 Chevy with a generator a guess.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.

Last edited by Geico266 : 12-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Here is the "rest of the story" directly from EnerSys:

The manual reconditioning cycle requires slowly discharging the battery to a loaded voltage of 10.5V then charging the battery at 6A or higher not to exceed 15.0V while charging or the battery can become overheated due to overcharging. The discharge, charge procedure can be performed multiple times. With each successive discharge, it should take longer to discharge the battery from a “full” state of charge to 10.5V using the same load. This would indicate recovery of capacity with longer run times. The best discharge rate for this sized battery is about 3A. A headlamp on a motorcycle works pretty good too…

If at any time during the charging process the battery begins to vent, hiss, or gets so hot you cannot hold your hand on the battery, then discontinue charging and allow for the battery to cool completely (1-2 days) before attempting to charge the battery again. Warm is OK. Hot is bad. If the battery is overheating at a charging voltage less than 15.0V, then there may be an internal issue that may be permanent and irreversible. If this situation occurs twice then the battery should be replaced. If the charger keeps exceeding 15.0V and causing an overheat situation, discontinue using the charger.

ODYSSEY Battery basics…

Most conventional batteries are considered fully charged at 12.6-12.7V. The ODYSSEY TPPL AGM battery is not considered fully charged unless it has a resting voltage of at least 12.84V. The usable energy of the ODYSSEY battery is from 11.2V (0% state of charge) OCV to 12.84V OCV (Open Circuit Voltage should be checked 8 – 24 hours post charge with no loads). When the battery goes below 10.0V OCV it is over discharged and is getting into the chemical part of the battery and can cause permanent damage. At less than 10.0V the ODYSSEY limited warranty deems the battery over-discharged due to abuse or neglect (usually unintentional). The ODYSSEY charger/maintainer or any approved maintainer can maintain the ODYSSEY battery indefinitely in or out of the application provided it has enough charging current to counteract the parasitic loads of the application. If the battery becomes over-discharged (below 11.0V OCV) then the sooner the battery can be fully charged the better. If the battery remains connected to the application during storage or extended periods of non-use, to prevent over-discharge and maintain the battery at a full state of charge, an ODYSSEY program approved maintainer would be required and/or disconnecting the battery prevent over discharge. There is a link to a list of ODYSSEY approved 12V chargers located on the ODYSSEY website Literature page for your reference.

The list of approved 12V chargers is provided due to the many chargers that are programmed for the vast majority of batteries on the market that prefer low amp charging and lower float voltages that do not fully charge or maintain the ODYSSEY battery properly. The minimum recommended charging current for an ODYSSEY battery is 40% of the 10 hour amp hour rating of the battery for cyclic or deep discharge applications (about 6A for a single 16Ah rated PC680 for example), a constant float voltage of 13.5-13.8V and no constant voltages exceeding 15.0V in any kind of de-sulfation/reconditioning/equalize mode. At greater than 15.0V the battery can overcharge, overheat, and/or go into thermal runaway. Maintaining any ODYSSEY battery at less than 13.5V will bring the battery down and maintain it in an undercharged condition causing sulfation and premature failure. This would not be considered a manufacturing defect failure.

For seasonal applications (non-daily use applications that set for more than 3 days in a row frequently) regular use of an approved maintainer that meets the charge voltage requirements noted in the previous paragraph is highly recommended during the season and/or a disconnect switch. The preferred storage method is to fully charge the battery before storing and disconnect the battery from the application (shelf storage mode). Stored in or out of the application with no loads, the battery would not require charging for up to 2 years at 77°F or until it reaches 12.0V, whichever comes first. The self discharge rate increases significantly for temperatures above 25°C (77°F) and for every 10°C (18°F) temperature increase the storage time to recharge is decreased by half. Charge maintenance is critical to maximizing the life and performance of the battery. Freezing will not harm the battery and self discharge rates reduce significantly at colder temperatures.

It is recommended that the ODYSSEY battery be charged if it is less than 12.65V (about 80% state of charge) when put into use per the ODYSSEY Owner’s Manual (link provided on website Literature page for your reference). Automotive alternators are meant to top off a slightly discharged battery and maintain a fully charged battery. Most standard alternators/stators are not meant to be deep discharge recovery chargers and can become damaged if consistently used like one as well as not fully charging the battery with limited use. A battery discharged to below 80% capacity may not reach a full state of charge, regardless of how long you drive the vehicle using a standard alternator. Typical alternators only run at full amp output for a very short period of time before reaching its charging voltage and dropping into a very low amp trickle charge.

Low amp trickle “charging” a discharged ODYSSEY battery is very inefficient and also can contribute to premature sulfation. Constant duty alternators (usually on heavy duty vehicles) have constant charging current that is high enough for a long enough period of time (when driven/ridden) to get the battery to a full state of charge efficiently. Once the battery is at a high state of charge (at least 85% SOC), an approved low amp trickle maintenance charging is able to complete charging process without prematurely sulfating the battery. The Cyclic Charge Voltage range printed on the top label of the battery is the recommended voltage at the battery from the applications charging system (alternator or stator). At less than 14.1V the battery may not be getting fully charged for infrequently used applications. You can verify the battery voltage by checking the voltage at the battery at least 8 hours after application use (or off charge) and if the battery voltage is not at least 12.84V then the battery is not considered fully charged. Voltage readings taken right off charge or after use (alternator/stator charging) will be inflated and inaccurate so for a true OCV reading, you should wait at least 8 hours before checking the voltage (OCV) with 24 hours being preferred.

Any lower amp (less the 6A for PC680 for example) charger that floats between 13.5-13.8V at the battery and never exceeds a constant voltage of 15.0V in any kind of automatic reconditioning, equalize, de-sulfation mode can be used as a maintainer only provided the charging current is high enough to counteract the parasitic loads of the application and maintain the acceptable voltage in float mode at the battery. With proper charge maintenance, the battery should have a service life of 2-3 times that of the same sized (Ah rated) battery in the same application with the same usage. ODYSSEY batteries have an 8-12 design life and have been known to function successfully well past the design life of 12 years.

Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns, or need further assistance. Sincerely,

Kathy Mitchell

Last edited by flyingriki : 12-11-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Battery charger info http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=121966

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 AM

Default Odyssey battery

What is your discharging process? I have had same problem.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Earthz replaced Odessy

my 680 was about 4 years old including build time and 135 hours flight. It slowly lost crank performance and died last week. I just flew it at least once per week and alternater voltage was always 14.2.
The new earthx 680 cranks like crazy. will it also die slowly like the Odessy without removing and deep discharge like the Odessy died ?
Clinton, IN
Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM

My 680 is going on 10 years and still passes a LOAD test. My alternator voltage is always 14.2. It was drained to full dead once when I left the master on. Did a slow charge (less than 1 amp) to 13.8 volts, and has been good ever since.
I never use a maintainer between flights.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 11-28-2017, 07:21 PM

"Automotive alternators are meant to top off a slightly discharged battery and maintain a fully charged battery. Most standard alternators/stators are not meant to be deep discharge recovery chargers and can become damaged if consistently used like one as well as not fully charging the battery with limited use. A battery discharged to below 80% capacity may not reach a full state of charge, regardless of how long you drive the vehicle using a standard alternator. Typical alternators only run at full amp output for a very short period of time before reaching its charging voltage and dropping into a very low amp trickle charge. "

Never, ever, that I am aware of, have I observed the alternator in my plane behaving in that way. It's capable of well above the 6 amp charging current that Odyssey says the battery wants to see, and is capable of topping the battery off to the set point of the regulator, or about 14.6V. I find the foregoing, honestly, baffling.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 AM

Default Possible clue

Thanks Bill,
The alternator is B&C SD-8. Maybe it did not put out the six amps you reference with other loads at 14.2 Volts ? Would that explain the gradual loss of pervformance ?
Clinton, IN
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Default keeping battery charged during functional test

I'm about to start functional test of my panel, in the hangar. How do I keep the Odyssey battery charged up during running the avionics? Trickle charger? Minder? I'm thinking maybe I better us an old car battery and not use the Odyssey until I'm ready to fly it.
Working on Wiring
Only panel left to go.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 03-19-2018, 04:05 PM

Use an approved (http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...V_chargers.pdf) charger and charge based on the parameters set by odyssey.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID