- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Ribs are formed at an outside vendor. I have seen the tooling. I would be surprised if Vans wouldn't allow you to contact them directly. It is a small outfit that will do one offs.
Regardless, you can fabricate a rib less lightening holes with a simple MDF form block. There are a few EAA videos on how to do it. You can cut and flange the lightening holes if you feel the need.
The plans show the rib profiles.
Although they fabricate them out of "O" or "W" (not sure) and then temper, there is no reason you can't form them directly out of T3 Sheet.
An MDF form should hold up for at least a few ribs if not more.
I agree, but I wasn't thinking of small one-part repairs. I was thinking in terms of non-builder owners who ding something serious, and need whole assemblies... A new wing, horizontal stab, elevator, flap, etc. for whatever reason and would rather find a new one than have to learn homebuilding to fabricate a replacement from scratch.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Ribs are formed at an outside vendor. I have seen the tooling. I would be surprised if Vans wouldn't allow you to contact them directly. It is a small outfit that will do one offs.
Regardless, you can fabricate a rib less lightening holes with a simple MDF form block. There are a few EAA videos on how to do it. You can cut and flange the lightening holes if you feel the need.
The plans show the rib profiles.
Although they fabricate them out of "O" or "W" (not sure) and then temper, there is no reason you can't form them directly out of T3 Sheet.
An MDF form should hold up for at least a few ribs if not more.
Aren't they all NACA profiles to begin with?

I have no idea, but which models have the same NACA 4 or 5 digit profiles? I believe the 7 and 8 are the same IIRC, but what about the 3, 4 or 6? Are they the same 23013.5?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM

For anyone who doesn't spend a lot of time in the Forums, the discussion is interesting but there's no detail or link to what people are talking about. Can someone post the actual release?

[ed. Bob, it's on the front page of VAF for the next few days... v/r,dr]
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 11-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM

@LettersFromFlyoverCountry https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/letters/RV-3-4-6P1.pdf
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM

This new policy is not to be misconstrued as a faltering in our commitment or willingness to support our customers whether an order was placed yesterday or forty-six years ago. We will produce a singular part if need be to make certain the reason an RV doesn’t fly is not due to us. But the economic reality to perpetuate this level of dedication compels us to make hard choices. Any model we produce must generate enough revenue to at least keep it from being subsidized. This was our only path to keep these models viable, old ones flying and hopefully new ones to finally take to the air.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanks for stepping in Mitch its great to hear your reasoning and commitment to support. I totally understand Vans' position!
2017 Dues paid up
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Good to hear your commitment Mitch but I have to point out that your public announcement says parts MAY be available not WILL be. Expressing a commitment to parts for these kits would have alleviated many of the concerns expressed in this thread.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 PM

Let's look at subsidized..... Isn't it true that the RV8, and then the RV7 was heavily subsidized by the RV6/6A?

In fact, the main reason to discontinue RV6 parts is so the 7 can catch up and claim to be the most popular kit aircraft in the world....... That still won't happen for a long time.

OK, just kidding. I think Van's just made a good business choice but was a little short on relaying the information.

In 1999 I was excited about all of the glass kits. And then some dropped out. I did airframe repair in the AirForce. Aluminum aircraft are very repairable in the field. I headed towards the RV6A for that reason. It has been said before, the PLANS that come with your RV6 kit has all of the information needed to fabricate any part of the airframe.

If I remember correctly back then, Van said they were an airframe company, not an aircraft company.
VAF #897
2016 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 11-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Thank you Mitchell for chiming in. Maybe a little more infowould put some of us more at ease. As I have said a few times, the wording has me worried. It uses some very wide open terms. Since this new pricing is in effect in less than 2 months, I would assume you know what those numbers are. Are we talking 20%, 60%, 500%? Given past sales how long do you anticipate the current parts stock to be depleted? Any estimates as to the percent rise once it becomes a custom one off operation? 50%,100%, 1000%? It's kind of scary not knowing what screwing up a part could cost farther into the build.

Bob burns
Rv-4
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Those of us that have built and are flying an RV for more than 20-years that we built have drawings for each part and can make the part from our own sourced materials. When I messed up a part while building, I made some of my own replacement parts and some I purchased from Van's. It cost me the same or more in material to make the part as if I purchased the part ready made from Van's.

So Van's will now not be making large batches of parts for our older model airplanes. I would not be afraid to bet that the new parts pricing structure is the same cost or less than for me to pay myself to make the part and pay for the material. Those that do not want to pay Van's for the part can take their drawings to an A&P and pay the A&P for his time to make the part.

Van's has the tooling. It is only fair that they make a profit on the time and material that they use to sell us parts. It one spends some time price shopping, one finds that when Van's does not have the lowest price on an item, they are very close to the lowest price. This is from being a Van's Aircraft Customer for more than 28-years and price shopping on many items.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.