- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM

Taylor,
Quit wasting time with trivial stuff like building airplanes and get your school work done so you can get back to work.........

Looking good by the way, but it looks like a few of those skin stiffener rivets are under set

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdeman View Post
I've been scuffing lightly with scotchbrite, then using a damp rag, followed by a rubbing alcohol-soaked rag to remove debris/grease. The alcohol doesn't seem to cut the red lettering as hard as acetone would, however an extra pass or two does in fact remove it.
Perhaps I should switch from alcohol to acetone?
I'm sure an alcohol wipe is good, I think the point is mainly to remove oil residue from anywhere on the skin. I use acetone as it is superior at this (and because that's what everyone else does) I am surprised that alcohol doesn't remove the lettering, interesting...
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Working in the kitchen - good job! I hope that continues to work well for you!

Our biggest regret rebuilding after the house fire 2 years ago is not putting the shop "off-campus" out in the yard. I can't run any tools or even accidentally drop a wrench without waking the wife sleeping overhead in our first-floor master. And the fiberglass dust and aluminum shavings that get tracked upstairs despite the doormat and the carpeted stairs drives us both crazy - mostly her. I make a lot of runs up and down the stairs in a typical work-session evening, so taking my shoes off as she suggests would gobble up a lot of work time, which as for many of us, must be carefully regulated and apportioned so as not to neglect wife and children.

Despite the downside to a backyard shop (long walk in the dark, need to run power and water, the big air conditioned and heated basement was already there needing only interior finish) I do wish I had done it - my useable work hours would be so much greater. There was the psychological perception that being right downstairs was not as far-removed from the family hearth when everyone else wanted to veg and watch TV, but that's an empty premise in retrospect.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug

Last edited by Bill Boyd : 10-18-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: can't spell "far" on frst try
Old 10-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Working in the kitchen - good job! I hope that continues to work well for you!

Our biggest regret rebuilding after the house fire 2 years ago is not putting the shop "off-campus" out in the yard. I can't run any tools or even accidentally drop a wrench without waking the wife sleeping overhead in our first-floor master. And the fiberglass dust and aluminum shavings that get tracked upstairs despite the doormat and the carpeted stairs drives us both crazy - mostly her. I make a lot of runs up and down the stairs in a typical work-session evening, so taking my shoes off as she suggests would gobble up a lot of work time, which as for many of us, must be carefully regulated and apportioned so as not to neglect wife and children.

Despite the downside to a backyard shop (long walk in the dark, need to run power and water, the big air conditioned and heated basement was already there needing only interior finish) I do wish I had done it - my useable work hours would be so much greater. There was the psychological perception that being right downstairs was not as for removed from the family hearth when everyone else wanted to veg and watch TV, but that's an empty premise in retrospect.

Only work done in the house is the photowork! Everything else is either done in the hangar or the garage. (Except for leading edge rolling. I chose to wrestle those on the carpet where any sliding around of the rudder would not result in scratches on the skin.)

Last edited by Tdeman : 10-18-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Taylor,
Quit wasting time with trivial stuff like building airplanes and get your school work done so you can get back to work.........

Looking good by the way, but it looks like a few of those skin stiffener rivets are under set
Thanks Scott!
One of my early rivets cracked on a 45* shear plane literally minutes after analyzing a similar compressive failure in class... I considered that build session "further research of in-class topics."