VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Default End of September update

Over a month of building has gone by according to the log, though I admit it's been somewhat harder to make time for it than I thought it might be. Oh well, at least it's not a race...

I thought I'd give an update though, since the Vertical Stabilizer is done!! More on that later though...

Inventory was complete, with only a few minor items.

Deburring, drilling, cleco-ing, and deburring all went just like the class or the practice kits, they really are good prep, and great for anyone who wants to explore if building is right for them.

First hole drilled!

Minor issues arose when working with the counter-sink to make room for a dimpled mating part:

Wandering holes...
$4 to Van's, and we were back in shape.

The biggest hold-ups were figuring out storage space and understanding what it takes to use the epoxy primer:

The stuff is extremely tough, and pretty easy to apply once you get used to the gear.

Once priming was done though, the process went pretty quickly from the first rivet:

to the last:

I have a few minor bucking bar "witness marks" in the skin that I'm trying to learn to live with. I'm glad to read around the forums that I'm not alone in that. We'll see what they look like after I take some time to get used to the idea. Worst comes to worst though, "the list" shows I can get parts for an all new vertical stabilizer without breaking the bank.

Everything everyone posts here about the curse of perfectionism is true...
RV-10 #41814
Emp Started 8/16/2017

The content of this post is not intended to constitute professional advice, and should not be relied upon as a substitute for such advice. The reader assumes all liability for any and all consequences of the use or reliance upon this information. Furthermore, the views expressed here are entirely my own, and not those of my employer.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:30 PM

I wonder how many people have done exactly what you have? I did! Demo flight at Oshkosh, ordered empennage. A little over a year later and the empanage is done, QB wings done, fuse in process! It's an awesome adventure!!!
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com