What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy bow crack

mike3715

Just landed at work and found the following long, thin crack in the exterior canopy bow of my slider RV7. The plexiglass doesn't seen effected. Any thoughts on repair Thanks!
Mike

ilzGjgg2xSu3tixQ2

Album:https://photos.app.goo.gl/ilzGjgg2xSu3tixQ2

Last edited:
Mine did this early for about the same distance. I taped off the parts and used a finger nail file to rough up the two surfaces. Then mixed some flox with resin and worked it under the glass.

Mine's not yet painted but it is holding well after 100+ hours of flying.

I tell every passenger not to touch the lip to avoid another issue.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks!

I'm sadly not much of a builder...any recommendations on what specific resin and such to buy?

Mike

I had a similar thing happen but have been putting it off. I'm planning on taping things up first to protect the windshield from epoxy but i'm sure an errant drop or two will get on it. Does anybody know if cured epoxy can easily be removed from Plexiglass?

I had a similar thing happen but have been putting it off. I'm planning on taping things up first to protect the windshield from epoxy but i'm sure an errant drop or two will get on it. Does anybody know if cured epoxy can easily be removed from Plexiglass?

If you tried to epoxy something to plexi, it would probably slide right off. But if you accidentally got a drop on the plexi, it would certainly stick like something from a Krazy Glue (tm) commercial.

I'd wax or mask the windshield. Messing one up is expensive in time and money.

Try G/Flex 655 thickened epoxy. It's from West Systems and is compatible with all of their epoxies. It will wet out cloth and can be combined with flox, micro-fibers, cloth layup,etc, if you think you need it. It is a structural adhesive and remains much more flexible than standard West System epoxy. I got mine at a local boat store, but you can order it at Walmart and have it delivered to your local store for free - or Amazon.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm sadly not much of a builder...any recommendations on what specific resin and such to buy?

Mike

West Systems is widely used for aircraft construction and was likely used when that strip was bonded to the windshield. There are variations in hardener for fast (205) or slow (206) cure. Either should work fine for that small job.

I have people grab the center post for help getting out. No handles installed.

Is the fairing coming loose from the windshield? I did several test with epoxy to plexi and could not get a good bond no mater how I prepped the plexi, ended up laying up the fairing on packing tape, removed and sanded to shape and then Sika flex to bond it in place.

Back