What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

unable to see weather

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting weather to display on my SkyView. (Translation: there is no weather at all.) I have the SV-ADSB-470 and can receive traffic data without problem. I have the new SV-GPS-2020 as well. I'm up to date on updates. I tried to enable MAIN MENU -> MAP -> MAP MENU -> WEATHER OPTIONS, but there are no WEATHER OPTIONS to be enabled.

Any suggestions of settings that I have overlooked?

Weather can be toggled on and off by a button. Is WEATHER enabled in the layers menu?
MAIN MENU>MAP>LAYERS>WEATHER

Couldnt resist

Look out the window...although sometimes on a dark night I have trouble seeing the weather..I once went for a ride with a guy and as we taxied out past the windsock he tells me we cant go because awos wasnt reporting the wind..

Cm

I have a GRT EX, but...

ADSB weather and Terrain can't be viewed at the same time. Also, I have a menu button on the box where I can select Radar - this needs to be on. Finally, while I can typically pick up traffic while on the ground, weather only comes up while airborne.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

WEATHER is not an option on that path. The only option is TERRAIN.

WEATHER should be an option on the LAYERS menu as well as TERRAIN. WEATHER and TERRAIN can definitely be display together on the SV. The other options for IFR charts only appear if you have a subscription for charts, but WEATHER should an option if the ADSB 470 is working properly.
i-rrC9bG5-M.png

On the map, ADSB status will show NEXRAD wx status in the bottom left corner and ADSB traffic in the right bottom corner. The transponder can show TIS traffic and TIS would show in the bottom right corner if ADSB is not working. The traffic you see could be just TIS and not ADSB.
This screenshot shows how the ADSB wx and traffic should appear on the map.
i-JcFzpc5-M.png

I'm out of other ideas except suggest that you pose the question on the Dynon forum. That forum is monitored by Dynon techs and they usually respond quickly to resolve these kind of problems. http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=next_gen_general

From the Dynon Manual

"First, the WEATHER button within the MAP LAYER group must be enabled. Once the weather layer is turned on, the two types of data controlled in the MAP CONTENTS group will be presented on top of any other active map layer. If the TOPOG (topography) map layer is enabled, it?s terrain color coding will be muted while the WEATHER layer is enabled to allow the NEXRAD weather / TFR graphics to stand out. Weather information is partially transparent to allow chart information to remain visible. Other databases (aviation, obstacles, base map, etc.) are always displayed."

If the terrain/topography is running along with weather, the colors would likely overlap and make it useless or difficult to decipher at best. Dynon has pictures of this in their manual (5-73, IIRC). It appears that once weather is selected, the terrain/topo washes out automatically. Same result as with GRT, but a little different approach.

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Terry,
I don't doubt the manual pages that you quote, although I can't find them in either the User Guide or Installation Guide. I'm sure some compromises are done when both terrain and weather are shown, but I wouldn't say that the terrain washes out when weather is enabled.
Here is one screen shot with both terrain and weather enabled.
The colors are vivid:
i-TPCWH3Z-L.png

Terry,
I don't doubt the manual pages that you quote, although I can't find them in either the User Guide or Installation Guide. I'm sure some compromises are done when both terrain and weather are shown, but I wouldn't say that the terrain washes out when weather is enabled.
Here is one screen shot with both terrain and weather enabled.
The colors are vivid:
i-TPCWH3Z-L.png

Now that is one busy screen!

Terry,

I agree. I always flew with both enabled all the time.

WEATHER should be an option on the LAYERS menu as well as TERRAIN. ...... but WEATHER should an option if the ADSB 470 is working properly.

On the map, ADSB status will show NEXRAD wx status in the bottom left corner and ADSB traffic in the right bottom corner. The transponder can show TIS traffic and TIS would show in the bottom right corner if ADSB is not working. The traffic you see could be just TIS and not ADSB.

Tony, thanks for 2 tidbits of useful info. I now believe that the 470 is not functioning properly. I've never seen the ADS-B or NEXRAD databoxes, only a TIS OK display in the bottom right. I'll see if I can find any info on debugging the 470, or maybe buying the newer 472.

thanks,
-dbh

I would hold off on the 472. That box has issues that Dynon is working on and, in fact, I don't think they are shipping it anyway right now.

Is it possible you have not configured a serial port for the 470? Van's default software loaded on the SV does not include a serial port setup for the ADSB 470 and you have to do it. Here's how:
i-FDd8jz5-L.png

Pick a serial port not occupied. The 470 should appear as an option, choose it and it should configure. Mine is on serial port 2:
i-dttRQgk-L.png

Hopefully, this will get it working. If not, check the d-sub connections for pushed pins, etc.

Last edited:
identified my assumption

looks like several of you identified the issue. I was indeed assuming that TIS data came in the ADSB path, so it "had to be working." Now I know that TIS is via the transponder and I've had no ADSB at all. I'll get out there tomorrow (fingers crossed) and see about setting the serial port. Stay tuned.

David,

My first ADSB-470 box did not work either. When looking at the settings for Port 2 (or whatever port yours is attached to) you should be seeing BOTH the Rx and Tx counters increment … mine were not. If I remember correctly, the Tx counter would increment but the Rx counter did not.

To help isolate the problem to the 470 box Dynon had me pull the connector off the back of the 470 box and loop the two serial pins for Rx and Tx to one another. Next the serial port device was temporarily changed from ADSB-470 to NMEA. After making the loop back and changing the port device to NMEA you should see the Tx and Rx counters increment …. this is because as the port is polled, the transmit data packet is looped back to the receive on the SkyView. If both counters do increment, then the serial port hardware on the SkyView is good and the issue is either the power wiring to the ASDB-470 or the box itself.

John

Last edited:
RTFM

looks like several of you identified the issue. I was indeed assuming that TIS data came in the ADSB path, so it "had to be working." Now I know that TIS is via the transponder and I've had no ADSB at all. I'll get out there tomorrow (fingers crossed) and see about setting the serial port. Stay tuned.

Yep. As is so often the case with this airplane, if something's not right, just go back and read the friendly manual again. I had neglected to configure Port 2 to ADSB-470 due to my mistaken assumption that the presence of TIS data implied that that had already been done with the factory preset file. I did the configuration and Viola!:)?I have weather and radar data. (Not that I do any RV-12 flying if the weather isn't severe VMC;)).

Thanks to all who contributed,
-dbh

Thanks for the feedback! It's good to report what worked; it could be helpful to someone else who has the problem.

Back