VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Default Super Hornet

Congratulations on your performance at CNATRA and earning a seat in the Super Hornet! And on a successful first tour. We were lucky in the Intruder in that we had twice as many JOs to do all the squadron jobs. I don't know how you guys do it in the single seat world. And you have to maintain proficiency in both air-to-air and air-to-ground. We were single mission only in the A-6. I don't think people appreciate how much bang for the buck we get with a Hornet pilot. My hat is off to you. I hope you find an RV to fly during your shore tour and hope to meet you at a fly-in some time. Shoot me a note if you are ever in the Seattle area. I'll take you up in Bad Blue.
PA-23-150 N2108P restored flown and sold
RV-8 "Bad Blue" under construction
Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM

The mobile Chernobyl! . Hated that boat, great memories though. Nice bird! Oh, and the legacy Hornet is the only real Hornet... super is a pig.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM

The Mobile Chernobyl! That's funny, I hadn't heard that one. The reactor guys came to our ready room one time to tell us how much better the engineering plant was after some overhaul. They offered to get us TLDs and give us a tour of the plant. Um...no thanks. But please let us know if you have any problems, so we can all fly back to Norfolk.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer506 View Post
Yes the A-6 was a great airplane, although by the time I got to it, we were mostly carrying precision guided weapons and not the 28 500b bombs from the early days. Laser guided bombs (GBU-12,16,10), Mavericks (AGM-65), Harpoons (AGM-84s) and HARM (AGM-88). The Intruder was retired during my time in the Navy and I was transitioned to the EA-6B Prowler, so I have dedicated the right side of the plane to my Electronic Attack brethren. "VAQ" in naval aviation is the designation for a fixed wing, electronic attack squadron. In my case VAQ-130 is my old Prowler squadron out of Whidbey Island, Washington. We flew off the Enterprise on the east coast. They fly the EA-18G Growler now.

When our Super Hornets call the ball they use the "Rhino" call sign. From your username it looks like you might be an old Navy Flyer yourself.
Good lookin' airplane! I'm a JO pilot in the Zappers. All you need now is Robbie on the tail!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 PM

Gizmo! Hey when I finish this thing I want to meet with one of your jets on a civilian ramp somewhere. I'd like to get a picture of the two airplanes together. Let your guys know that if any of them are interested in building an airplane, they have an open invitation to drop by my shop in Stanwood and I'll give them the tour. I've got beers in my fridge for any Zappers, any time.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM

Looking good! great motivation for those of us just starting.