VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-30-2016, 05:38 PM

Default Deburring the inside of flanges with the speed deburring tool

So, I was struggling to figure out how to use the speed deburring tool from Aircraft Spruce on the inside flanges of ribs and spar channels. It is difficult to keep a perpendicular angle in tight spaces. Without the perpendicular angle you risk getting an oblong hole instead of a circular one. Came up with the idea of installing the bit into the end of the 90 degree angle attachment (which comes in the Aircraft Spruce RV Tool Kit as well) and hand turning the shafts that would otherwise be inserted into the air drill. This works out really well. Dunno if someone else already posted this idea or not, but it seemed too "Eureka!" not to share.

RV-8 Very Slow Build In Progress (Empennage Kit almost done. Saving for wings...)
N163RV (Reserved)
My Build Log
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by dcurrier : 12-30-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added image
Old 12-30-2016, 06:00 PM

Default Deburring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcurrier View Post
So, I was struggling to figure out how to use the speed deburring tool from Aircraft Spruce on the inside flanges of ribs and spar channels. It is difficult to keep a perpendicular angle in tight spaces. Without the perpendicular angle you risk getting an oblong hole instead of a circular one. Came up with the idea of installing the bit into the end of the 90 degree angle attachment (which comes in the Aircraft Spruce RV Tool Kit as well) and hand turning the shafts that would otherwise be inserted into the air drill. This works out really well. Dunno if someone else already posted this idea or not, but it seemed too "Eureka!" not to share.
Similar, but my tip ran in Kitplanes.
Run a 1/4-28 die over the shaft of the 90 degree adapter. Screw the adapter into the speed debur handle. Now you have a 90 degree debur speed tool.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 12-30-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Default Builder's Checklist

We all know how important checklists are before, during and after flights but consider using one for building as well. Start it early. I use one and it's really handy.
All those little (or big) things you have to postpone for whatever reason should be added to the list. Keep it handy in the shop and scratch items off as they get done. You'll sleep better.
Mine is a spreadsheet. I print the latest and write notes on it like date of completion or new items. When I update my builder log, it gets updated too and a new one printed.
Anything works from a chalkboard to a big poster board or spreadsheet. The point is don't assume you can remember all those little things. There's so many of them.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 PM

Default Wing skin countersinking

When countersinking the gazillion wing spar rivet holes, dont wear socks with no shoes. And if you do, don't wash the socks with your wife's bra.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage started
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com