What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroSport Power IO-382

efitzgerald

Hello,

I currently have a quick build RV-7 on order. I have been looking at engine options while waiting for the kit to arrive.

I have been in touch with Aero Sport and am strongly considering a IO-382-M1S Wildcat engine. The engine would be equipped with a EFII ignition and fuel injection system with dual ecu's.

What are your thoughts on this engine and Aero Sport in general.

Aero Sport is a Canadian company and I am also concerned with duties that would be charged upon importing the engine. Does anyone know what additional costs I would be looking at other than shipping?

There should be no duties and aviation parts.
As a US citizen you should not be charged our HST (valued added tax)
There may be some brokerage fees at the border, or from your broker, depending on how the engine is shipped.

As always these items are how I understand the system to work but we have a very long border and even though these are national type of issues for both countries there does seem to be regional differences.

Aerosport has been around a long time, has sold literally hundreds of engines into the homebuilt market, mostly into the US market. They are good people to deal with.
I personally had excellent experiences with them purchasing engines, parts & getting technical support. They even helped me out one time when stranded a long way from home with a bad carb (not their product).

This has nothing to do with AeroSport, but you should consider a couple of things before ordering: 1-integration of the engine with the airframe and cowl-ie, are you going to have to do a lot of custom work to make it all fit? 2-if you are just now ordering a QB, you might want to hold off on the engine for a little while, unless you're retired and can spend a lot of time working on the project. Otherwise, you might see that engine (and the money invested) sitting off to the side for some time...just a couple thoughts, YMMV etc etc:D

I think I will purchase another engine from Aerosport. Nuff said bout that.

When you go dual EFII, etc. you venture from the standard plans which might require some customization, definitely doable, but you will need to fill in the blanks. If you were to stick with a standard 0-360 and Vans Firewall Foreward kit, all the instructions are there, the more your deviate, well.... With the EFII system you will need to run fuel return lines to the tanks, with the appropriate fuel selector valve, but so does some other EFI systems (not all though).

Does this 382-M1S have horizontal induction, like the IO-360-M1B? That will dictate which cowl you will need (snorkel bottom or not) and which filtered intake. I'd bet the standard baffle kit would work. Not sure which fuel pump you will need or where it mounts.

Bottom line, im sure that is a great engine but you should see which engine it compares to firewall forward kit wise so you kit the right parts to put it all together, might be some off plan work to do but if you make it past the cowling and canopy this will be easy.

As for buying now, if you got the cash, why not. These engine costs escalate quite rapidly and there's noe better way than to have all the parts on hand.

This engine has horizontal induction. One of the reasons that I have been researching the engine is that I would like to order the finishing kit so it can ship with the QB kit. I spoke with Aero Sport about the engine dimensions and they said that this engine is .1" wider than a comparable IO-360.

I wasn't planning on ordering the firewall forward kit from vans regardless of the engine choice. I would rather choose the specific items that I want.

I know about the requirement for the fuel return lines and different fuel selector valve. The additional electronics and plumbing aren't much of a concern to me, if anything that is the fun part of building. Deburring, priming and driving 1000's of rivets are the tedious part.

My main questions were about unforeseen costs of buying out of Canada and general information about Aero Sport.

My biggest concern with purchasing the engine sooner than later is the warranty. ASP offers a 42 month 500 hour warranty after it is delivered.

Eric

I bought my engine IO375 from aero sport, in 2011 and I went and got it in my pickup they asked if it was a lycoming. That being what it was thay said all the parts came from the US and only assembled in Canada so no taxe or duty due, but them 2 apples and orange were a threat to national security were confiscated while trashing the inside of my pickup took 30 minutes to put back together at the US border. My sin was admitting that I was a retired Farmer. Aero sport was great to work with.

Last edited:
Bart

We purchased a RV-6 with an Aero Sport overhauled engine in it. Plane finished in 1998.
We were the 3rd owner of the airplane. Had flown it for several years and put 400+ hours on it, (600TT). Went to install a C/S prop to upgrade from FP and found a issue with the nose clamshell bearing being out of place a tiny bit, keeping it from building pressure.
Needless to say it was a bear finding the issue and then fixing it.
Bart always answered the phone and tried to help. Even sent parts, no charge!
Way past any warranty and we were the 3rd owner too...
Can't say enough good about Aero Sport.
I do understand Bart is no long there, but would assume they will carry on, so to speak.

No worries with Aerosport Power ... they're great people to work with. The shipping of my engine was a couple days delayed at the US border, but that is apparently normal. Shipping costs were exactly what Aerosport said they would be. They also kept me up-to-date on shipping and transit status. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat. :D

My engine is also from Aerosport Power.

After I had been flying for about 100 hours they contact me about a possible issue with a part on my engine being installed wrong.

They send me detailed instructions on how to check if the part had been installed incorrectly, and even offered to pay for two hours of a mechanics time to check and make sure everything was good (it was).

Good company to work with. They helped me out with the entire wire a really large chunk of money to another country thing.

-Dan

I bought two engines from them. Their support was great each time. Even today with flying engines they support me any time, sending parts and infos.

I ordered the engine from Aero Sport and they included the build school as part of the deal. I just finished assembling and testing the engine and it was a great experience. Everyone at Aero Sport goes out of their way to make you feel welcome.

I ended up ordering the IO-382 with the dual EFII system. It runs great: starts up very easily even when hot and idles very smoothly.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on Aero Sport, they were great to work with.

e1_zpsdxx53wga.jpg

e2_zpszxidsyji.jpg

e3_zpst7mngk5i.jpg

e4_zpsgalpvtgo.jpg

e5_zpsbu1q6ga7.jpg

e6_zpsanwbs7ty.jpg

e7_zpszbw1ldhs.jpg

Last edited:
Sure.

The engines are good. Just a comment and it is your call. You may wish to check with Van's as I think that airframe is rated for up to 200 Hp. on the recommendation from them. I know everybody does it. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

The IO-382 is a parallel valve Lycoming clone that is rated at 200 HP. The point of the IO-382 is the same or better HP at less weight than the angle valve IO-360.

My engine is ported and polished and has an EFII system so the HP might be a bit higher but probably not by much.

The IO-382 is a parallel valve Lycoming clone that is rated at 200 HP. The point of the IO-382 is the same or better HP at less weight than the angle valve IO-360.

My engine is ported and polished and has an EFII system so the HP might be a bit higher but probably not by much.

I am looking at the IO-382 for my RV-7 a few years down the road. IS the 200 HP the "standard build" IO-382? I know they offer tons of other options as well. I was thinking of doing P-Mags, and doing the port and polishing. My rough numbers would put that around the 215 HP mark.

Do you have info you can share on some of the "upgrades" they offer to these Wildcats?

This engine has horizontal induction. One of the reasons that I have been researching the engine is that I would like to order the finishing kit so it can ship with the QB kit. I spoke with Aero Sport about the engine dimensions and they said that this engine is .1" wider than a comparable IO-360.

Eric

Be careful.. That 0.1" extra width could make a big difference. For my angle-valve IO-360, cylinder #2 comes VERY close to the cowl, a wee bit under a half inch, if you include the space taken by the piano hinge that joins the cowl halves. Loosing another 0.1" on that side would be a problem. Presumably yours is 0.05" wider on each side, so may be close, but OK.

My worry about buying now when you are just starting your build is (a) warranty, and (b) proper pickling and wrapping for long-term storage. Leaving a Lycoming sitting around is the worst thing you can do to it. Mine sat for a year, wrapped in plastic, in a very dry climate, and I've had zero problems. But I would not have wanted to leave it much longer.

My biggest concern with purchasing now was the warranty. As far as long term storage, I am hoping it won't be that long. In addition it will be stored in a climate controlled space. I have a mill and lathe that can sit unoiled for months with no rust problems.

As far as performance mods I'm not sure what else they offer that would increase HP. I had mine ported and polished, 9.1 to 1 pistons, added an EFII system and a raven full inverted oil system. It comes standard with a counter balanced crank, roller lifters, piston oilers and the superior cold air induction. Could it produce 215, maybe. I am always skeptical when I hear inflated numbers from having a port and polish and even the EFII system. Superior does say the engine produces 200 plus HP, but without putting it on a dyno you never know for sure.

Last edited:
My biggest concern with purchasing now was the warranty. As far as long term storage, I am hoping it won't be that long. In addition it will be stored in a client controlled space. I have a mill and lathe that can sit unoiled for months with no rust problems.

As far as performance mods I'm not sure what else they offer that would increase HP. I had mine ported and polished, 9.1 to 1 pistons, added an EFII system and a raven full inverted oil system. It comes standard with a counter balanced crank, roller lifters, piston oilers and the superior cold air induction. Could it produce 215, maybe. I am always skeptical when I hear inflated numbers from having a port and polish and even the EFII system. Superior does say the engine produces 200 plus HP, but without putting it on a dyno you never know for sure.

Hmm... For some reason I thought they dyno'd all their engines before they sent them out.

I bought my IO540 from them and it runs sweetly. Also had good support when I needed it to time my mags.

Have you considered their IO375? 190-195hp and I'm guessing it is considerably cheaper.

Hmm... For some reason I thought they dyno'd all their engines before they sent them out.

Not everyone operates a dynamometer. Most small aircraft engines get run on a simple test stand with a calibrated club prop. The point is to run it and look at temperatures, pressures, etc, not tune for max HP. If it will reach a given RPM while turning the club designated for that engine model, it is assumed to make rated power.

The photo above (post 12) is a test stand. Below is the test stand currently in use at Continental Mattituck:

Barrett, Lycon, and Sky Dynamics all run dynos, but they're all different.

Barrett runs flat motors on an old school Kahn shaft drive water pump. When installed many moons ago, I'm pretty sure it was the first at an independent shop.

Barrett M-14s go on a torque reaction stand, in which the entire engine and mount can rotate on a very large central spindle. The rotation is constrained by a load cell on an arm, which converts strain to an electrical signal. Engine load is a constant speed prop.

Lycon appears to run flat motors on a similar torque reaction rig using a constant speed prop. Sky Dynamics has two torque reaction rigs, with load provided by a shaft driven oil pump.

I'm not sure where Titan's dyno is right now. It was AWOL from the new Fairhope facility when I visited in November. I'll check again next week.

Anyway, don't assume your HP was actually measured. And even when it is, all dynos are not the same.

Aerosport has two mobile test rigs and their dyno is currently under construction. All engines get run in and checked on the test rigs with props or clubs.

Not everyone operates a dynamometer. Most small aircraft engines get run on a simple test stand with a calibrated club prop. The point is to run it and look at temperatures, pressures, etc, not tune for max HP. If it will reach a given RPM while turning the club designated for that engine model, it is assumed to make rated power.

The photo above (post 12) is a test stand. Below is the test stand currently in use at Continental Mattituck:

Barrett, Lycon, and Sky Dynamics all run dynos, but they're all different.

Barrett runs flat motors on an old school Kahn shaft drive water pump. When installed many moons ago, I'm pretty sure it was the first at an independent shop.

Barrett M-14s go on a torque reaction stand, in which the entire engine and mount can rotate on a very large central spindle. The rotation is constrained by a load cell on an arm, which converts strain to an electrical signal. Engine load is a constant speed prop.

Lycon appears to run flat motors on a similar torque reaction rig using a constant speed prop. Sky Dynamics has two torque reaction rigs, with load provided by a shaft driven oil pump.

I'm not sure where Titan's dyno is right now. It was AWOL from the new Fairhope facility when I visited in November. I'll check again next week.

Anyway, don't assume your HP was actually measured. And even when it is, all dynos are not the same.

Thanks for the info Dan. I am still several years out before I make an engine decision, so I haven't studied up a whole lot on them yet. So many choices out there makes research a little tricky for someone as new to homebuiding as me.

I have decided that wherever I get the engine from, I am hoping they do the "build school" type sessions, that let an owner participate in some way in the engine build.

I had assumed that Aerosport had a dyno since they "rate" thier engines..but what you said makes sense.

Eric, did you go through with it? If so, how did the cowl and FWF work out?

It seems to me the 382 Wildcat puts out the same 200 hp as an IO-360 Angle Valve engine (well, maybe a tad more since the Lycoming angle valve apparently doesn't always show 200 hp at the dyno) but accomplishes it by extending the stroke length with a crankshaft modification. I would think externally the engine would be pretty close to the exact dimensions of an O-360 or IO-360.

Back