VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM

Default SB on Horizontal Stab

As you all know a SB does not have to be complied with, as it's just a recommendation. An AD does according To the FAA.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM

True.
But the FAA doesn't issue AD's on experimentals (other than extreme circumstances), so it is left to kit manufacturers. They can't issue AD's, so if one is issued it should be at least seriously considered.
Van's doesn't issue a structural related SB unless it is considered important.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that at the Condition Inspection SOMEONE has to sign a statement that the aircraft is in a condition for safe operation. My opinion, and mine only, is that it might be questionable doing that without complying with the SB's.

For that reason, I do insure they are all complied with.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 02-17-2016, 06:46 PM

Default Compliance

I'm trying to understand these most recent comments. Are you guys implying that the reinforcement needs to be installed regardless of whether cracks exist?

The bulletin allows for inspection prior to further flight and then each annual inspection. Maybe I'm reading too much into these comments or not reading the bulletin correctly.
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 02-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAV8R View Post
I'm trying to understand these most recent comments. Are you guys implying that the reinforcement needs to be installed regardless of whether cracks exist?

The bulletin allows for inspection prior to further flight and then each annual inspection. Maybe I'm reading too much into these comments or not reading the bulletin correctly.
You are correct. Being an A&P and very knowledgeable on RVs, all SBs need to be complied with for me to sign off the once a year "Condition Inspection." SB 14-01-31 requires that the reinforcement be installed if a crack is found. If a crack is found, I will NOT sign off the aircraft until after the reinforcement spelled out in SB 14-01-31 has been installed.

I prefer that the reinforcement be put in before the crack develops. I would like to think that most owners that were not builders schedule down time to install the reinforcement before a crack develops instead of wait till they are forced to have the aircraft down because of a crack.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAV8R View Post

You are reading it correctly. Inspecting the area (and finding nothing) IS complying with the SB. The comments were directed at the statement that "...you don't have to comply with SBs" which is true, as long as someone feels they can sign off the condition inspection without looking there(!)
Old 11-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Default HS-0001 - Which way is up?

On DWG 3r4 and the SB drawing, they show conflicting info.

SB shows the 3/8" side to be down and the plans show the 3/8" side to be up. I of course already separated the pieces. Based on the way the edges are drawn in the SB and the 3/8" side, those look more accurate.

But wanted to double check...

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:08 AM

Default SB 14-01-31

How do I get on the distribution list for Vans planes. I am the original purchaser of the kit.....the builder....and the one and only owner. I have never gotten any correspondence from Vans regarding service bulletins. I just happened to stumble on this one via this forum.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrys View Post
How do I get on the distribution list for Vans planes. I am the original purchaser of the kit.....the builder....and the one and only owner. I have never gotten any correspondence from Vans regarding service bulletins. I just happened to stumble on this one via this forum.
Book Mark this:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv8.htm

And check in daily to the =VAF= site and the fine people here will surely list anything new....