Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2016, 02:18 AM

Finally getting all the top forward skin shim and spacers and whatnot in to address my earlier problems was a big deal. It took a while and in the end worked out just fine. This was actually just recently:

Nice thing was that getting that skin solidly and completely set lets me start on a number of other things.

After a few trim-fit-trim-fit sessions, seeing some good progress:

And honestly, for all the scary posts and worrying that I read online about this whole process and The Big Cut (important enough to get capital letters hah), it was basically a non-event. Warm weather, practice on the flange material for a while before you start, and use a good air tool and it's a piece of cake.

Video - click:

Honestly, I have a thousand more photos but that's at least some flavor of progress. All the pictures - good and bad - are maintained over on Flickr.

Lots of helpful and friendly people here at VAF, as well as locally and at Vans Aircraft, have made this a lot of fun so far. And I'd be truly remiss if I didn't shout out to Justin, who's in a few of the photos. He's a mechanical engineering student at Oregon State as well as a good friend and willing, talented builder/helper/doer. He and others make this project a lot of fun.

The prop is on order from Whirl Wind Aviation (it's a 74RV). The paint scheme and plan is pretty much set and colors determined thanks to some helpful people at the EAA headquarters who went well out of their way to get some color scans done for me. The interior is soon to arrive from the terrific Abby at Flightline Interiors. And the panel from AFS is also forthcoming, and I have their initial wiring harness sections to install now.

Who knows - this thing might actually fly one day.

--

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 08-18-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Greg,

It's good to see you progress over the last months. Some great detailed photos on the build. Look forward to seeing the finished paint and trim.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:46 PM

Bernie, thanks for the note - It made me realize I have once again failed to update here. I post a little more frequently at the Facebook page I set up for the build and lots of photos go on Flickr to help show the progress over time in a chronological order.

Work since the last update has been a bunch of canopy attachment and fitting, fiberglass skirt, started some wiring and panel stuff, fitting of the cowl started, autopilot servos and brackets just installed, some of the FWF and related connections have been done, and a ton of other small stuff that's often barely visible but takes a lot of time.

One highly-visible (and very comfortable) highlight of the late summer was receiving the interior seats and side panels, etc. from Abby at Flightline Interiors. She completely outdid herself, was awesome to work with, and I am super pleased with the results. Memory foam, heated seats, way too fancy really. Fancier than any furniture I have ever owned, hah. She deserves a mention, for sure. A couple pictures below, and video at this link.

Exempt, but paid anyhow

Last edited by greghughespdx : 12-12-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:55 PM

August: Gluing the canopy to the frame.

Death by Clamps:

Rough-fitting and refining the skirt:

Exempt, but paid anyhow
Old 12-12-2016, 06:08 PM

Working with sticky goop and teaching myself fiberglass tricks (the hard way).

Cha-CHING! (money well spent, beautiful prop)

Started pulling some wires and painted panel structure back from the fine folks at Advanced Flight Systems (and yes you can fit two AFS 5600 screens plus radios and a dedicated autopilot panel in a RV-8 panel):

Autopilot servos going in. I tackled the wing servo while friend Justin squeezed into the tailcone for the pitch servo. Oh, to be 19 again...

Hundreds more photos on Flickr and the Facebook page, too!

Photo Pro Tip: By the way, the new iPhone 7 Plus has "portrait" mode, which essentially uses the two main cameras to determine what the in-focus subject of the photo is and then lets you blur out all the other stuff. The pitch servo picture above is an example of that. Really helps to clear out the extraneous stuff and bring the focus to what you're actually trying to show. Pretty cool tool for project detail photos! Example of the difference:

greg

Exempt, but paid anyhow

Last edited by greghughespdx : 12-12-2016 at 07:44 PM.