What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beefed up steps

TJCF16

Well Known Member
I am trying to post my first photos. I hope this works. They are pictures of the new beefed up steps from Vans.

30883811050_5e2454bf95_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_0042 by crouch.timothy, on Flickr[/IMG]

29595855262_61cede0dd6_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_0043 by crouch.timothy, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_0043 by crouch.timothy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Does anyone use flicker? I am having a hard time embedding a photo! I click on share then embed I copy that paste but it does not work! Hmmm

Does anyone use flicker? I am having a hard time embedding a photo! I click on share then embed I copy that paste but it does not work! Hmmm

I found Photobucket pretty easy to figure out. Its free also.

My right step cracked up high on the inboard side after only 200 hours, with RARE use. As most of us know, this is a classic and all-too-common failure. A local welder wanted "around" $100 to repair and reinforce it.

However, given that a new step costs $100, and given that either way I've got to remove the step from the fuselage, I ordered a new one. I'm one of those dummies that actually riveted the cargo area floor into place: This exercise will give me the opportunity to install platenuts in those floor ribs.

My new step looks just like yours, with the reinforcement gusset. It'll take a day of work, but it'll be good to have the new one in place.

Regarding the left step (still stock, no reinforcement gusset): The Mother Ship tech guys recommended I NOT replace it unless it starts to show a crack. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm one of those dummies that actually riveted the cargo area floor into place: This exercise will give me the opportunity to install platenuts in those floor ribs.

Removing the blind rivers in the baggage floor is not a big deal.
You could probably do it three or four times, in the time you will spend installing nut plates.

Ya drilling the rivets was a piece of cake. However: you still have to drill out the nut plates that hold the center panel down. I reinstalled them on the rib not thru the floor skin and the rib. This way if I ever need to get back in there I will only need to remove the screws for the center panel and drill out the other floor rivets. I won't have to drill out the nut plates again.

Tip: Paint before you install!

I reinstalled them on the rib not thru the floor skin and the rib. This way if I ever need to get back in there I will only need to remove the screws for the center panel and drill out the other floor rivets. I won't have to drill out the nut plates again.

Everything is a trade-off.....
That will make it easier to remove the baggage floor but if you ever mess up one of the nutplates, you will have to remove the baggage floor to replace it.

All design work is done to prevent buried nutplates for this reason.

My right step cracked up high on the inboard side after only 200 hours, with RARE use. As most of us know, this is a classic and all-too-common failure. A local welder wanted "around" $100 to repair and reinforce it.

However, given that a new step costs $100, and given that either way I've got to remove the step from the fuselage, I ordered a new one. I'm one of those dummies that actually riveted the cargo area floor into place: This exercise will give me the opportunity to install platenuts in those floor ribs.

My new step looks just like yours, with the reinforcement gusset. It'll take a day of work, but it'll be good to have the new one in place.

Regarding the left step (still stock, no reinforcement gusset): The Mother Ship tech guys recommended I NOT replace it unless it starts to show a crack. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm guessing that once you install the new step you will never need to remove the floor again.

I had to remove and reinforce my cracked passenger step. The floor removal was the easy part. I lost sleep over sandblasting off my nice primer, basecoat, and clearcoat. :eek:

We have actually (a few times) made a 4x4 inch? access hole in the baggage floor where the inner retainer is, remove the bolt, remove and reinstall the step and then pull rivet a larger piece back into place. A little difficult to set the outboard rivets but very doable.
Larry

RV-10 too?

Will the new steps we utilized for the RV-10 too? I haven't heard of people having cracked steps on the 10, but I'm not sure whether the 10 step is any different than the steps used on other models. Can anyone shed some light on this?

New part?

IMHO, that is not an example of the prettiest TIG welding I've ever seen. In a part that already had a propensity for failure, I'm surprised at the undercut and missed areas around the edge of the bead. Just sayin'!

~Marc

I am trying to post my first photos. I hope this works. They are pictures of the new beefed up steps from Vans.

30883811050_5e2454bf95_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_0042 by crouch.timothy, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_0043 by crouch.timothy, on Flickr

Back