What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Downdraft paint booth

Hello all. I am looking for information I saw regarding building a small downdraft paint booth with chicken wire on top. It used HVAC filters avaliable at a hardware store. thanks

Booth

Hello all. I am looking for information I saw regarding building a small downdraft paint booth with chicken wire on top. It used HVAC filters avaliable at a hardware store. thanks

I built one from hobby board with a child gate as the spray table. Works great. Easy to modify and build from 1/4" ply almost any dimension. Blower is a Rule 240 bildge blower plumbed to a wall dryer vent. It's documented in my blog. Fuse page.

This is the downdraft table I built. It has worked well for me.

Horz%20Stab%20paint%20table_zpsttryscz1.jpeg

It is a 2x4 frame wrapped with a blue tarp. The top is plastic mesh fencing. The ends have 20 inch box fans with furnace fans duct taped over them. It has the advantage of being easy to take down and store when not in use.

This is the downdraft table I built. It has worked well for me.

Horz%20Stab%20paint%20table_zpsttryscz1.jpeg

It is a 2x4 frame wrapped with a blue tarp. The top is plastic mesh fencing. The ends have 20 inch box fans with furnace fans duct taped over them. It has the advantage of being easy to take down and store when not in use.

Total newbie here. Why are the fans necessary? Ventilation?

I used a shortened fuselage shipping crate. Wire mesh on top, a furnace filter and 20" box fan screwed to the bottom. I used the cut out piece from the fan opening spaces off the floor of the box with short pieces of 2x4 to keep some of the spray out of the filter. It worked pretty well.

Exhaust

Total newbie here. Why are the fans necessary? Ventilation?

They are exhausf fans. I suggest intrinsically safe or squirrel cage. If you use box fans, use them to blow so volitile fumes are not passing through them.

My plan

My plan is to build a simple 4' x 2'x 2' box out of 1" pvc and 6 mil plastic tarp. I will use a 20 " box fan from walmart and hpa furnace filter. I plan to suck air down when priming then flip the fan around and blow air up thru the grate ( and filter) when drying to keep the bugs off, if needed. This will be for primer only. And i hear primer drys pretty fast. I was going to make the front to back pvc pipes removable so that i can break it down to store.

Quote: They are exhausf fans. I suggest intrinsically safe or squirrel cage. If you use box fans, use them to blow so volitile fumes are not passing through them.

I should have mentioned, I used Stewart Systems water based primer exclusively. No worries on flammability.
Without the fans on, overspray will come back up through the mesh contaminating the shop.

What about side 2?

All of this makes good sense to me but I'm a little slow....

After painting/priming side one, do the parts get flipped to allow for the opposite side to be painted/primed? Are they allowed to dry and then flipped and painted/primed?

All of this makes good sense to me but I'm a little slow....

After painting/priming side one, do the parts get flipped to allow for the opposite side to be painted/primed? Are they allowed to dry and then flipped and painted/primed?

Yes and yes
For external skins I only primed the internal side. I also chose to not prime the exposed side of the floor panels since they will be covered with carpet.

I used mine with both Stewart systems waterborne primer and Shopline epoxy primer. Both of them dried in only a couple of minutes with the downdraft, quickly enough that I could flip them over and paint both sides

Quote: They are exhausf fans. I suggest intrinsically safe or squirrel cage. If you use box fans, use them to blow so volitile fumes are not passing through them.

I should have mentioned, I used Stewart Systems water based primer exclusively. No worries on flammability.
Without the fans on, overspray will come back up through the mesh contaminating the shop.

And will blow up trash from the box back onto your pretty paint. at least mine did

Never thought of that

And will blow up trash from the box back onto your pretty paint. at least mine did

I was going to flip the fan around for cure and blow clean air up thru filter. But you are right, all that trash comes back. It seems primer dries so fast it probably is not worth the trouble. Thanks for the insight.

I used mine with both Stewart systems waterborne primer and Shopline epoxy primer. Both of them dried in only a couple of minutes with the downdraft, quickly enough that I could flip them over and paint both sides

Same with the AKZO primer. It dries pretty quickly but takes a while to actually cure.

If you are careful, gently flipping the parts over after 5 minutes or so is easy and lets you prime both sides with one load of the paint gun.

Back