What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean 2016 KMPJ -- The Gathering is ON again!

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
PETIT JEAN 2016 KMPJ -- The "Almost All" RV Gathering is ON again! :)

PICTURE UPDATE 11/3/2016 ... 2016 Picture's and Video are up on the Petit Jean Fly In website www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com Direct Links below:

Check out Kent Officers PJ 2016 Video … it’s the first one on the page! http://petitjeanflyin.com/videos/

Also take a look at the Video Vans made while they were at Petit Jean …. It’s called “Start Building” and filmed at Petit Jean this year. It’s the second video on the Petit Jean website or you can go to the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glB2-_Af6V4&index=49&list=PLnv20fSmxctvBZDr9vuyx1zoOXxWADrT-

Check out the 2016 Pictures section as well! Some great shots from Dan Valovich, Paul Brown, and Sara Works! http://petitjeanflyin.com/photos/

On behalf of EAA165 and our whole Petit Jean Team….. A BIG THANKS !

FINAL UPDATE 10/11/2016 ... 2 days out and everything is good on the Mountain! The final email update went out tonight. If you didn't get one how about send me an email and I'll follow up. We are at capacity. I don't know if there are any rooms left but we are still still getting an occasional cancel but it fills back up quickly. All I can say is call and check. See Post # in this thread for details!

[*] FOR SAFETY REASONS .... we are asking that you LAND LOOOONG if landing on RWY 03. We ask that you touch down past the blue markers at the 1,000 foot marker. Those markers are there to remind you to LAND LONG. There is a lot of activity in the ramp area with people and airplane parking. Parking crews will meet you on golf carts. Thanks for your help!

UPDATE 10/3/2016 ... 12 days out and everything is looking great on the Mountain. Airport campground and trails should be in perfect condition. I have had two cancellations this week from the Glamper side (Campers at the RCC :--) so there may be two rooms available. Not sure but you should call the RCC if you have been waiting for this chance.

UPDATE 9/20/2016 ... More Rooms ....YES !!! OK, by popular demand we have been chasing down some additional rooms\homes .... maybe ? Seems like there are a half dozen nice 3-4 bedroom vacation homes available to rent very close to the airport. These are not on our regular shuttle runs but we can tote you if you can find your way to the mountain. They should all be within a mile or two of the airport. See post # 43 for details. They were all open as of tonight but the Rockefeller Center is still booked solid.

UPDATE 9/8/2016 ... We are scrambling to find some more rooms and think there may be some available at a cool little horse ranch a 1/2 mile from the airport. See the last post for details....just saying maybe :--) Still plenty of camping room but please don't forget to register so we know how to plan for the weekend!

UPDATE 8/11/2016 As of this morning .... it appears that the Rockefeller Conference Center is completely booked! There is no alternate lodging available as there are no other hotels on the Mountain...really it's true! One of the issues is that a few folks have booked several rooms under one name. PLEASE PLEASE be sure you are coming if you do that. The RCC cannot keep a running wait list so we just have to turn Lodgers away if the rooms are booked. And remember, it's very easy camping so that's always an option. This really is a "Fly, Camp, Lodge, & Hike" event :--)

We all understand WX cancellations but please don't just hold a block of rooms until the last minute and please be sure you have also completed the online registration for all attendees if you have already reserved a room(s). Please .... THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!

See ya there! MidSouthRV :--)

Oshkosh is over and the Petit Jean Indians are working on another great gathering of RVs, RV Buddies and Buddettes :) Block off the dates ... October 14, 15, and 16! We have the campground reserved for another ALL RV gathering (plus a big wheel or two), the Rockefeller Lodge is all ours for the weekend, the planning is in full swing, and all we need is a confirmation from you!

As always, the MidSouthRVators, and local North Little Rock EAA 165 along with helpers from the Hot Springs chapter are dressing up the campground, getting our Air Boss Bob instructions, drawing up menus, and putting some fun activities together for you and yours! Our only mission is to facilitate a leisurely, fun filled, no effort, RV social on the Mountain. This has turned into the largest All RV fly-in in the country and it's all local, all volunteer, and all about RVs.

Reserve the date, check out the website, get your rooms reserved QUICKLY and I mean that because they are already in short supply. If you're camping all you need to do is fill out the online reservation so we can plan for food and transport. If you're lodging, make your reservation and please also fill out the online reservation so we know you're coming.

See ya on the Mountain! North Little Rock & Hot Springs EAA, MidSouth RV, and Bulldog Flight

petit_jean_2016_logo_face_page-11331018.jpg

Funny how a couple of hundred smiling faces tell a story that needs no words! :--) All your friends and all your new friends!

smiling_faces_petit_jean_2015-72557640.jpg

Fun shots by Dan Valovich! WE DO PICTURES :--) Check out our photo and video sections on www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com

img_2015_11_08_192739_01-79176816.jpg

So you gotta know sooommmebody in one of these two shots :--)

img_2015_11_04_012851_01-66007733.jpg

And we come from all over the US! Big prize for longest distance .... thinking about a new RV14 Kit from Vans... been talking to them ... really~!

dsc_0783-52912417.jpg

Friday night on the ramp! A virtual tent village in the woods! A comfy cool room at the lodge ... your choice.... or possibly your spouses :--)

dsc_0157-59287359.jpg

dsc_0577-70356113.jpg

The Rockefeller Conference Center ... 4 star lodging on the Mountain! Recommended by lots of brides :--)

dsc_0232-12105871.jpg

Here is where you get all the lowdown! Info, video, pictures, and registration links. ... www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com

petitjean_website-31019956.jpg

And for those that just want the facts :

• The dates are set October 14, 15, & 16 ... KMPJ
  • The Rockefeller Conference Center is reserved! 75 rooms and it will sell out!
  • The overdone Friday night dinner and entertainment at the RCC is set!
  • The Petit Jean Airport State Campground is reserved!
  • Setting up for Dinner at the Campground …. If you’ve been before… you know what I’m talking about! Wow is all you can say….!
  • The North Little Rock EAA guys and gals are already making up menus!
  • Air Boss and Bossette are confirmed to insure your safe arrival and fun flights!
  • The Parking crew has new shoes and they’re ready to go!
  • Everything is ready but the Mountain is always the same…come share the experience!

Now it’s up to you! This is the first and place that we post the Flyin! Based on the early inquiries and 40 + confirmed room reservations today, we expect a big turnout and a great weekend on the Mountain. We don't put this out anywhere else because we want to keep it ALL RV. All RV means owners, flyers, builders, and anyone interested RV fun! If you're on this forum, you qualify no matter what you're flying ;--)

• Please check out our Website for pictures, video, and general information www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com

• RCC Office for Room Reservations (501) 727-5435 Group reservation number is #70947

Direct link to online registration : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TSFBDKH This is really important for our planning purposes. Thanks in advance!

• Email for info at [email protected]

It's going to be a big RV Weekend on the Mountain. The temps will be great, the leaves turning, and the hiking fabulous... See you on the Mountain!

Last edited:
Room reserved and ready. Can't wait!!! We will be heading back from a trip out West with a group from the Falcon Squadron in Peachtree City.

Vic & Carol

Room reserved and ready. Can't wait!!! We will be heading back from a trip out West with a group from the Falcon Squadron in Peachtree City.

Vic & Carol

Oh, cool! Ya'll finally get to meet Ms. Patti. She's out doing laps in the mornings just to get her new hip in shape for PJ ;)

Wonderful!

Oh, cool! Ya'll finally get to meet Ms. Patti. She's out doing laps in the mornings just to get her new hip in shape for PJ ;)

That's dedication----exercising to go to a flyin! We look forward to meeting her.

Vic

I started to get excited about planning to make it this year and then remembered I have a baby due a week before that. Going would be a sure way to make it into the doghouse. I'll happily stay home this year. Maybe next year.

We'll be there as usual, but no reservation for us. I know our camp site is out there somewhere. We'll be roaming from camp fire to camp fire, barging into conversations to meet new people as usual until deep into the night (when Andrew's liquor runs out).

Who remembers the morning it was 29 degrees....!

Details :--)

Looks like we have a great group heading back to the Mountain. All the repeats above and more! Last year we had about 30% new faces and that was really fun! Also hearing old Scottish names, and also members of the Daniels family, Jack I think ?? What was that green stuff Andrew had last year ??? Funny tasting water for sure!!

And I was told that I missed the point earlier and needed to say that all anyone really needed to bring is camping gear if you are camping, or a reservation for the RCC, Cookies if you're Cookie :rolleyes:, and chairs to sit in on the ramp. We have a great menu, water and cold drinks, firewood, tools, spare parts, and pretty much anything else you might need. Friday night dinner is at the RCC and Saturday night is catered on the ramp for star watching or whatever works for you. That's the whole point of making it easy :)

You do need tie downs! I am told they have done some more work on the trails and they are in great shape! Hopefully by October, it will have cooled down some.

You gotta love our Okies :) They travel in packs and have said to look for them on the ramp! They are the ones having all the fun :D

dsc_0552-80794599.jpg

I know Kent isn't actually jogging .... can't be :eek:

dsc_0762-93193098.jpg

BTW, we need to beware and watch the ramp closely,... I have been told there might be some Spotted Cows out Saturday night ;) The good news is that Bravo Moses the Wonder Dog will be back to keep them pinned up ! ;)

C U ON D MTN (I'm learning to text :)

Last edited:
petit jean

We have reservation and will bring some northern stock of Cow and dairy products. Another good time for sure.

We will be there Saturday

We will be there and Kathy will bring her famous bloody Mary's

The Meyers are in! Dumping the kids off at Nana's at KDRP, then headed over Friday at noon. First fly-in for our "new-to-us" 6A!

We have a room at the RCC. Two styles of rooms left. The small, older rooms and the 3 bedroom cottage. Both are a steal, price wise.

Can't wait to meet new friends!

Heather tells me we're going, so chalk up another two first-timers for a Friday arrival.

What time does the last ride to the lodge depart the campgrounds? We're trying to decide whether to camp or lodge.

Last ride ....doesn't matter ... we never leave our Wingman/Wingwomen!

Kurt, we never leave a Wingman ;) The transport is 2-3 big vans that loop continuously Friday until the campground is empty for the dinner at the RCC Lodge. It's only 4 minutes away, so even if you arrive late late, you just call one of the cell numbers and we'll come back and carry you over! Nobody ever misses a meal on our watch :D Same thing happens after dinner with the vans taking the campers back. Transport crew is Vic and Misty and volunteer buddies ..... they do a great job!

During the day, the vans loop on schedule every 20-30 minutes unless they are full and then we send reinforcements during peak times. We take groups to the trails morning and after lunch. The camping is great but it's camping :rolleyes: The folks that camp really seem to enjoy the night activity around the campfires although we have had some complaints from the geese who were having trouble getting to sleep with all the laughing, talking, and story telling. Generally, there are 3 to 4 big campfires surrounded by RV Fire Sitters :D .... a pretty fun group if I do say so myself!

There is a lot of activity over at the Lodge as well with a large social area at the Presidents Lodge. Ball game watching, fires in the fire pit if the winds cooperate, cool beverages from various rooms, and lots of just shooting the RV bull ...:p

Check out the website and you can see the difference between the camping and the lodging.... it's an apples and oranges....chocolate and vanilla ice-cream kinda thing... both have their own appeal and they're both fun! :)

C U on the Mountain :)

Last edited:
Heather tells me we're going, so chalk up another two first-timers for a Friday arrival.

What time does the last ride to the lodge depart the campgrounds? We're trying to decide whether to camp or lodge.

Way too early. The party continues (pretty quietly) well into the night around the camp fire. Star gazing lying on your back on the approach end of the runway is priceless. Those that run for the lodge miss half of the stories and fun. Just sayin' :). (ok, ok, they're telling the other half of the stories at the lodge. I get it :) )

Then again, there are a hundred of pounds of food lying around over night in the same camp site right next to the bear proof trash bins...

Last edited:
Alternative place to stay?

Bill,
My partner has decided she wants to attend but no camping for her!! I just tried the lodge to find them fully booked, is there anywhere else close by that you could recommend?

Yes way,

John, I'm as surprised as you are. I don't know what's wrong with her? that'll be twice in one year that she will fly with me!!

Going to try and make it this year.

Looks like the lodge is already full, so maybe we will try to camp...

-Dan

It hasn't been said here yet for the newbies, but this is the easiest camping that ever existed. The camping equipment is unloaded from the airplane only 50' from your camp site if you choose. There is plenty of tree cover, so shade and natural wind barrier. Flush toilets! A hot shower if you like. Heck, there is a freaking water fountain and power outlets at some of the camp sites that are sometimes used for an electric blanket!

The only thing that makes this qualify as "camping" is a tent and the warm flicker of a camp fire. (ok, one year it was 29 deg overnight. That was chilly for a Texan.)

Whatever you do, don't bring any food. Many moons ago, we hauled in our own firewood and couldn't believe the first year that Bill and the boys did this setup and had stacks of firewood sitting there waiting for us! Amazing.

See ya' Saturday for our normal 24hr in/out, then back another weekend that isn't so "busy".

No doubt, don't show up without ear plugs because Tanya snores almost as loud as the Geese!

Alternate Lodging

Jim, I just heard the RCC was completely full ... that's pretty amazing since we are still 2 months out. I would suggest that you get on the wait list for the RCC because that is like lodge central :) even if you can get something at Mather which by the way is a great place as well.

Mather Lodge is just down the road and it is an option but our transport there is suspect so we can't promise continuous shuttles at this time but we can work it out. Mather has a very limited number of rooms so you need to do it now if you are going to do it.

If you do, be sure to put some pressure on them to run a shuttle to the airport in case we can't make regular trips. It's about 4 miles away and they have transport if they choose to use it.

Shaping up to be a big weekend on the Mountain!

Bill

PS, Scott was right .... it is some of the easiest airplane camping you will ever find!

The logde is full .....

UPDATE 8/11/2016 As of this morning .... it appears that the Rockefeller Conference Center is completely booked! There is no alternate lodging available as there are no other hotels on the Mountain...really it's true! One of the issues is that a few folks have booked several rooms under one name. PLEASE PLEASE be sure you are coming if you do that. The RCC cannot keep a running wait list so we just have to turn Lodgers away if the rooms are booked. But remember, it's very easy camping so that's always an option and this really is a "Fly, Camp, Lodge, & Hike" event :--)

We all understand WX cancellations but please don't just hold a block of rooms until the last minute and please be sure you have also completed the online registration for all attendees if you have already reserved a room(s). THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!

UPDATE 8/11/2016 As of this morning .... it appears that the Rockefeller Conference Center is completely booked! There is no alternate lodging available as there are no other hotels on the Mountain...really it's true!

That said, there may be alternatives for those who don't want to camp.

I seem to recall folks renting private homes on the RCC side of the mountain. I assume they are absentee-owned vacation rentals, and you might find one through those channels.

There are a number of small towns with airports in the immediate area. Morrilton and Russellville are close, and both Little Rock and Hot Springs are only about 15 minutes away at RV speeds. Gotta be some decent rooms out there somewhere.

That said, there may be alternatives for those who don't want to camp.

I seem to recall folks renting private homes on the RCC side of the mountain. I assume they are absentee-owned vacation rentals, and you might find one through those channels.

There are a number of small towns with airports in the immediate area. Morrilton and Russellville are close, and both Little Rock and Hot Springs are only about 15 minutes away at RV speeds. Gotta be some decent rooms out there somewhere.
i will add info to this. Several years ago friends of ours did rent one of the houses while at Petit Jean. It was a very nice two bedroom home complete with everything, fully stocked kitchen, big screen tv, backed up to some woods and very peaceful. I do not remember the price but it was very reasonable. I do believe they rented it through the Rockefeller Convention Center. So if anyone is interested in that I can attest that the house they rented was exceptionally nice. You might want to call and check into it.

Camping

So for first timers who have missed out on the hotel rooms, what is the camping scenario.
Previous campers experiences as to what to and not to bring and what to expect etc.
Thanks

Last edited:
Camping

I've been to PJ the last two years. The biggest mistake I made the first year was underestimating how chilly the nights can get. My sleeping bag was too light weight. It was a painfully miserable night. Thankfully there are showers on site with great hot water. It warmed me up but I had to spend the rest of the night sitting by the fire in rotisserie mode for some heat. Last year I was prepared and it was great. Now I hope it's always chilly at night. Makes for great sleeping! Only other thing I can think of for camping is a pad placed under your sleeping bag. The ground can get pretty hard. I have the blue rolled up one that can be picked up at Wally world. Super light weight and it does help some. I've seen some with blow up mattresses. The lodge would be very comfy but to me, camping under the stars has turned out to be one off the parts I enjoy the most!

Bill and the rest of his team do a wonderful job with food and beverages. The best part is all the wonderful people that come from all over just to hang out and enjoy RV's and RVers. I love Oshkosh and SnF but this is the event I look forward to the most!

This photo was taken last year. I don't remember who took it but we were sitting/laying on the ramp when it was done. With a view like this available, well it makes the middle of the night trip to the bathroom worth it!

2qujbyx.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everybody know that Van's will be there (myself and Sterling) with the RV-14 this year! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

We are coming again and looking forward to it! But we will be bringing a smaller tent so no one can accuse us of having the "Mansion on the Hill" or the "Taj Mahal"! :p

Maybe some rooms ??

So we said all the rooms on the Mountain were booked but it may be there is a still a cool deal close by. :D We can't guarantee getting the vans by there every 30 minutes but we can definitely get you to and from the airport on call. I can't say I have ever been there (it's about a half mile away) but I understand it's a lot of fun and might be a really cool place to stay if you're in a RV10 and bringing kids! :):)

If anyone has any interest in the horseback rides, we can set that up for you as well .....but you gotta let us know ...... you have registered .... right :rolleyes:

Also remember there is always camping room .... but please register so we know you're coming :)

See you on the Mountain! Bill

Hi Bill and Jerry,

As we mentioned earlier, here is the information on something else that people might find fun to do on MPJ.

"City people" might enjoy horseback riding and/or visiting an animal petting/feeding zoo. They also have a large barn house with 4 bedrooms for $129.00 per night.

The owner said that she would give a discount of $2.00 off of the 30 minute trail ride and $7.00 off of the 50 minute ride with 7 people per ride. (Discount to $16.50 & $20.00).

With a little planning, they will do hay rides, also.

It is located on the first N/S road just east of the airport, the same road as the car museum.

Just offering additional options for you.

Bob and Linda

Their website; http://barnyardfriendsandstables.weebly.com/

Did you send out any sort of confirmation for folks that registered?

I registered a while ago, but didn't get any sort of confirmation.

-Dan

Dan, I should have confirmations out this weekend but no worries :) I do have you and Karen staying in Camper Heaven so no problem there ;) Reserved Site 3 Level 2 .... lakeside view, natural sound system, leaf conditioned bedroll mattresses, directly adjacent to the Central Texas Comedy Club and Tru-Trak Barker Green Jug Hoot'en Nanny ..... you're gonna love it :rolleyes:

I still have some folks confirmed at the RCC who have not registered in the OnLine Registration and I was waiting until most of them were in. Still looking full with an occasional room opening up but filling right back up.

We have some fun stuff planned if it all happens on schedule! The Air Base committed to C130 low level fly bys and we're pushing hard for touch and goes .... probably won't get them down that low :eek:

PS....there is also a quite side of the campground but no one ever stays there .... go figure :D

Dan, I should have confirmations out this weekend but no worries :) I do have you and Karen staying in Camper Heaven so no problem there ;) Reserved Site 3 Level 2 .... lakeside view, natural sound system, leaf conditioned bedroll mattresses, directly adjacent to the Central Texas Comedy Club and Tru-Trak Barker Green Jug Hoot'en Nanny ..... you're gonna love it :rolleyes:

I still have some folks confirmed at the RCC who have not registered in the OnLine Registration and I was waiting until most of them were in. Still looking full with an occasional room opening up but filling right back up.

We have some fun stuff planned if it all happens on schedule! The Air Base committed to C130 low level fly bys and we're pushing hard for touch and goes .... probably won't get them down that low :eek:

PS....there is also a quite side of the campground but no one ever stays there .... go figure :D

Thanks Bill! We are looking forward to it.

-Dan

First RV gathering!

Just registered and I'm looking forward to camping and meeting everyone. Does anyone have a set of tie downs that I could borrow if I can't get one of those special 20 spots? All the other posts paint a pretty good picture of what to bring and what to expect. Hope the weather cooperates and I look forward to meeting up with everyone!

Nick

Petit Jean Update 1 - 30 days out !

Last night we posted the first 30 day email Update to everyone that we have registered online as well as previous attendees. :) That's getting to be a big list and we hope you find the advance info and reminders helpful!

We have over 100+ registered RVs as of last night, 8 more this morning, and the rush is always in the last two weeks. The boys at Vans have committed to bring the RV14 and that completely fills out our dance card. One of everything RV should be on the Mountain! :D If you are not one of the 8 today and/or didn't get an email update last night, please drop me a PM. We either don't have a good email address or there was a problem with the online registration! :eek:

It's shaping up to be a really nice weekend. The trails are in great shape, lots of water on the falls, and easy transport to the trail of your choice. We are told that the Little Rock AFB will be dropping "through" a couple of times in their C130s since Petit Jean just happens to be on one of their "nap of the earth" routes .... and we have an inside guy ;)

In the next update, we will be sending out Arrival info and in particular the Petit Jean Point Photo Arrival which will be active from 10:00AM Friday to late afternoon. If you want a great shot of your airplane from the point or anywhere else, this is the time to do it. Dan can photo shop it into some gorgeous backgrounds. :D

Get ready for a great weekend on the Mountain! The local EAA guys and gals and the MidSouthRVators are prepping the field, stacking firewood, and putting together another knock out PJ menu. The Rockefeller Center is primed and looking for you! :) All you need to bring is your your game face, your game skills, and your RV Grin! The rest is on us! ;)

See'ya on the Mountian!

Bill

Last night we posted the first 30 day email Update to everyone that we have registered online as well as previous attendees. :) That's getting to be a big list and we hope you find the advance info and reminders helpful!

Bill, didn't get an email. Did my registration not take?

I thought I wouldl try and re-register, just in case, but the survey monkey won't let me do that. It says I have already completed it.

Just trying to help with some data here. :)

Vic

Has anyone who's registered but not yet received an email, heard anything from the organizers? I sent a PM to Bill yesterday, hoping he's got a moment to help us figure this out. Would be a shame to show up and have no record of registration.

Has anyone who's registered but not yet received an email, heard anything from the organizers? I sent a PM to Bill yesterday, hoping he's got a moment to help us figure this out. Would be a shame to show up and have no record of registration.

Got an e-mail from Bill last night with the registration. Sounds like a small SNAFU that they are getting corrected. They had my registration, just had a glitch getting the info e-mailed to some of us it sounds like.

-Dan

More homes available ?? Off the beaten path :)

By popular demand we have found a few commercial 3-4 bedroom homes that are available for rent for the weekend. :) I am told these go from nice to very nice. They are not on our normal shuttle runs but we can make the pickup and drop a couple of times a day, just not on five minutes notice.

Remember if you do one of these, you still need to do the online registration AND tell the folks at registration so we know where you are. Please do not book anything that is off the mountain or very far from the airport. These I know we can get to based on the map pins.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/arkansas/morrilton

img_2016_09_20_184448_01-70802656.jpg

This is horse ranch home with 3 bedrooms that would be a lot of fun. just around the corner from the airport campground. Funny he said "City People" :rolleyes:

"City people" might enjoy horseback riding and/or visiting an animal petting/feeding zoo. They also have a large barn house with 4 bedrooms for $129.00 per night.

The owner said that she would give a discount of $2.00 off of the 30 minute trail ride and $7.00 off of the 50 minute ride with 7 people per ride. (Discount to $16.50 & $20.00).

With a little planning, they will do hay rides, also.

It is located on the first N/S road just east of the airport, the same road as the car museum.

Just offering additional options for you.

Bob and Linda

Their website; http://barnyardfriendsandstables.weebly.com/

Update

UPDATE 10/3/2016 ... 12 days out and everything is looking great on the Mountain. Airport campground and trails should be in perfect condition.

We have had two cancellations this week from the Glamper side .....that would be Campers at the RCC :D , so there may be two rooms available. Not sure but you should call the RCC if you have been waiting for this chance. Otherwise, the Presidents Lodge, the Meadows, and the four houses are full.

Big switch in the menu for the Friday Night Bash at the Lodge. Switched from our Northern Italian spread to a way overdone Tex-Mex Fajita Bar backed up with some pretty amazing side dishes from the gourmet Kitchen at the RCC.... and I'm not kidding about the gourmet kitchen :) Someone also said something about a complementary Tequila Shooter. I'm not sure what kind of weapon that is but I understand it can give you a headache :rolleyes:

On the subject of food (one of my favorites) ... you might not know this but the RCC (Rockefeller Conference Center) does specialty weekend gourmet cooking classes in the fall and it's a great weekend fly in all by itself. Check out the website for the RCC for details.

It's all good on the Mountain! See you there :)

Room At The Inn

With great regret, we had to cancel our room at Rockefeller Center. If anyone is hanging out there in waiting, it may be worth a call............Tom

Regrets also - maybe next year

With great regret also, we had to cancel our room at Rockefeller Center.

Might give them a call Thursday 3:45.

Petit Jean 2016 - Final Tuesday Update

Man, are we ever excited! :) Our group slipped off early from work today to sort out last minute issues like raffle prizes, food confirmations, clearing room reservations, and updating email lists with the very last latest registrations. At the airport, we immediately started the final checking, organizing, and loading of all of the gear, golf carts, food trucks, ice chests, and cold drinks. All that plus another trailer load of stuff that it takes to handle 130 registered airplanes on RV Mountain. We?ve mowed the grass, swept the ramp, and all it lacks is 100+ RVs :--) ... That?s where you come in !

It?s going to be a great weekend and here are the last few things you need to know:

• [*] FOR SAFETY REASONS .... we are asking that you LAND LOOOONG if landing on RWY 03. We ask that you touch down past the blue markers at the 1,000 foot marker. Those markers are there to remind you to LAND LONG. There is a lot of activity in the ramp area with people and airplane parking. Parking crews will meet you on golf carts. Thanks for your help!

• Remember it is camping but you don?t need to haul food,:D we have that covered from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave! Jerry and the cook crew are ready, the RCC is cooling down the beer, and the BBQ is on the grill!
  • Remember it is a state park, soft drinks and water are included but if Coke and Diet Coke gets a little old for you, then I suggest you bring some of your own favorite beverages :rolleyes: Probably don't need to remind Tru-Trak Andrew!
  • You will need to bring Tie Downs and Chocks. Remember we can only accommodate about 20 airplanes on the ramp with cables so grass parking is the order of the day. Everyone needs to bring Tie-Downs and chocks.
  • Sitting on the ramp is one of the great treats at Petit Jean ?. We have regular folding chairs under a 40 x 60 tent but you will want your favorite folding chair for visiting, star gazing, and just general ramp sitting :)
  • IF you want to fly the Point Photo Run ?. Please please read and analyze the attached PDF showing the Point Photo Run Arrival procedure. Dan is there from 10:00 to 4:00 Friday. We are making left hand traffic out over the river and then back for North to South run.
  • Fuel is available on the field ?. We think it?s $4.99 a gallon ?
  • Please read the section below on our FaceBook efforts ?.. we need your help! We have a FB Group set up for this fly in just to make it easy for you to instantly post pictures and video as it happens and share with your friends at the FlyIn and at home. All you have to do is go to this link and join and set it as a favorite so you can find it quickly ! After you?re approved which will happen quickly, you can post directly from there and share with your friends as well.
  • The link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/PetitJeanRVFLyInGroup/ or search for ?PetitJeanRVFlyInGroup? All one wordy word. That should get you there. If you have any pictures from last year please post a few to let us know it?s working! We also need help on the admin so if you know anything about it please see us at registration ?. We need ya!
If you have any other questions or need help, please email me directly. I guarantee you a quick reply.

See original post for all the details: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140594&highlight=Petit+Jean+2016

It?s all good on the Mountain! We?ll see you Friday!

The Petit Jean Team ? :)

Last edited:
This is my first year as an RV-r and I just heard about this gathering a few weeks ago.

I live in Nashville, but I have a small family cabin in NW Arkansas along the spring river.

I had planned to stay there and fly down (30 minutes) to PJ for the day. Bring my guitar. Perhaps bum a tent spot for the night.

But, my wife had to leave town and I will be staying home with the kids.

I'll be looking for photos.

Hopefully, next year. Have fun all.

This is my first year as an RV-r and I just heard about this gathering a few weeks ago.

I live in Nashville, but I have a small family cabin in NW Arkansas along the spring river.

I had planned to stay there and fly down (30 minutes) to PJ for the day. Bring my guitar. Perhaps bum a tent spot for the night.

But, my wife had to leave town and I will be staying home with the kids.

I'll be looking for photos.

Hopefully, next year. Have fun all.
Oh please don't stay home because you have kids. Bring the kids! It looks like you have an RV10. Surely you have that plane so you can take your kids places right? There is a lot at Petit Jean that they would really enjoy. If there were ever a family friendly gathering, this is it!

Back