Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default SkyTech LS starter solenoid

This was in a prior post from Heinrich Gerhardt, and I thought it was worth having documented and easy to find.

"The solenoid mounted to the LS starter is a Ford PMGR unit as used on most Fords from around 2000-up. Just go to an autoparts store and get a solenoid for a 2005 Crown Vic. The Crown Vic only has one engine available, so it's an easy one to remember."

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 03-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Brand and part numbers...

For me the stock solenoid showed signs at 300 hours/3 year’s and failed at 400hr/4yr round numbers.
I replaced it from Napa with Echlin Ignition ECH ST421 which lasted less than a year and failed with almost no warnings.
Now it is replaced from O’Rielly with BWD S5613, only a few hours on it but working fine.
I have now on the shelf a spare from Amazon a Standard Motor Parts SS754
And another VAFer used Auto Zone’s Duralast SS1115

Any reports of which has been better or worse for you?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:06 PM

So, why are so many of these Ford PMGR solenoids failing at such low hours? Skylor had an interesting theory: on airplanes, the ring gear and starter nosecone are exposed and pull in dust and grit kicked up by the prop and deposit that dust on the plunger of the solenoid, which eventually binds it up. To be clear, I'm talking about the smaller metallic cylinder, not the white plastic part. The clearance is pretty tight on that plunger. Of the three I've had fail in 750 hours, all have had sticky plungers. Cars have their ring gear and starter nose enclosed with a dust shield.

Or, the problem is cheap offshore-sourced parts. Including the ones that Sky-Tec supplies.

As shown below, the solenoids we're using look like this:

There are ones available which have rubber dust caps on the plunger; need to check if they will fit in the Sky-Tec housing. If so, could be an improvement.

Last edited by hgerhardt : 06-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.