What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many cleco's

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
How many cleco's do I need for SB fuselage kit? More than I needed for
wings? I've got 325-3/32's and 175-1/8's from Isham's.

Jim,
Probably double them !
I had to buy more after the wings also.
Can't remember how many more .....

Last edited:
Double the 1/8" and TRIPLE the 3/32" clecos. You build most of the fuselage in clecos before drilling. I've got a couple of 2-gallon buckets full of #40s and used them all.

I take that back. just Double the 3/32's also. I mis-read your counts and reversed them. I have around 700 3/32's.

Last edited:
I went with 400 3/32" and 200 1/8". They're not cheap when you're buying that many, so I tried to be conservative. I've gotten along just fine. I have run out on occasion, but you can always harvest some from areas you're not working on.

I have no idea how many silver cleco's I have, but they fill a gallon jug. That was basically enough from what I remember on my -7 SB.

You can never have too many clecos. I'm not sure how many were consumed by Proseal or just wearing out, but I bought around 900 silver and 350 copper, plus about 50 gold. Slow-build RV-6A for reference.

One .50 cal ammo can full of 3/32" clecos and about 1/2 an ammo can of 1/8" clecos but...

Buy at least two cleco pliers.

by the gallon

I have almost two gallons of 3/32 and at least a gallons worth of 1/8. I have no idea how many that is!

I have three pairs of cleco pliers and a pneumatic cleco tool and it never fails that when I need a pair they are on the other side of the shop.

Too many?

To paraphrase a friend's advice about finding a mate....."a girl can never be too skinny, too rich, or have to many cleco's"...

A friend of mine at work said that her future husband seemed to get more interested when, in the course of conversation, it came out that she owned more power tools than he did. Now that's HOT!!

Go ahead, call me a nerd.

To paraphrase a friend's advice about finding a mate....."a girl can never be too skinny, too rich, or have to many cleco's"...

A friend of mine at work said that her future husband seemed to get more interested when, in the course of conversation, it came out that she owned more power tools than he did. Now that's HOT!!

Go ahead, call me a nerd.

Mine came with cleco's - AND an RV-6 !!!!!:D:p

The Definitive Number

For my RV-7 slow build, it appears that 661 3/32 clecos are an absolute minimum per wing. I have two wing stands, but will just finish the skinning on one before moving to the other. The 661 allow the placement in every second hole, unlike Van's recommendation of up to every 4th hole, which I don't think is adequate. 661 gives you enough to have the tank, leading edge and both top main skins in place symultaneously. After drilling these to full size, you will need to disassemble the tank and leading edge to have enough rivets to do the bottom main skins. Alternatively, you could purchase an additional 250 3/32nd clecos for the bottom skins, which would allow you to match drill everything symultaneously. This takes the ideal total to 911 clecos per wing.
Tom.

Last edited:
Bulk Buy

For those buying clecos for the first time, the best bet would be to purchase from Brown Tool. They have a price break at 1,000 clecos, which makes them only $0.38 per cleco, which is the best pricing I have found to date. If I was doing it again, I'd definitely go down this path, as I've not been as lucky as Paul and managed to find a lady that comes with her own stockpile of 3/32nd clecos!

Last edited:
Back