What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baja Designs LED in Duckworks Assembly

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Well I know this has been done before but I thought I'd share my version of this install.

Previously I had installed the Duckworks leading edge landing light kit. Not knowing exactly which lamp assembly I was going to install, I bought the Blank Lampless Install Kit.

So I decided to install a taxi light in the leading edge and a landing light in each wingtip.

The taxi light is the Baja Designs Squadron Sport Flush Mount Driving/Combo. This is a 20 watt 1.4 amp unit.

The landing lights will be the Squadron Pro, Flush Mount, LED Spot Those units are 40 watt 3.33 amps.

Here are some photos of the taxi light install:

Finding the center of the opening.

The Duckworks bracket with the template laid out.

Here is the BD combo installed.

Here's the backside...very simple install.

Although this is probably not a very good representation of the light...I couldn't resist checking it out.

Attachments

• cutout1.jpg
    cutout1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 135
  • assembly1.jpg
    assembly1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 118
  • bd1(1).jpg
    bd1(1).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 112
  • bd2(2).jpg
    bd2(2).jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 129
  • bright.jpg
    bright.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 112
  • power.jpg
    power.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Looks great.

But if your build doesn't even have the leading edge riveted on yet, by the time you fly there'll be a light that actually supplies power instead of drawing it....

;-)

Looks great.

But if your build doesn't even have the leading edge riveted on yet, by the time you fly there'll be a light that actually supplies power instead of drawing it....

;-)

I have been waiting for that light and hoping not to invest in an alternator, only the light alone :)

What are the approx. dimensions of the cut-out template? I went and got the "round hole" Duckworks kit because I didn't know which lighting option I'd go with and figured most lights are round. Wonder if I decided to go with the Bajas whether I could still use the kit with the round hole and trim around it...

What are the approx. dimensions of the cut-out template? I went and got the "round hole" Duckworks kit because I didn't know which lighting option I'd go with and figured most lights are round. Wonder if I decided to go with the Bajas whether I could still use the kit with the round hole and trim around it...

Yes! You can use your round hole Duckworks bracket :)

Here's a VAF thread on putting the Baja light in a round hole Duckworks fixture. Bruce uses the same flush mounted light that I used.

If you still need some numbers, I'd be glad to go out to the shop and do some measuring :)

Last edited:
Back