What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you identify this wingtip lens?

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Can somebody help me identify the maker of this plexi lens? It's on a circa 2010 8A (non-batwing) and we believe the lens was heated to make the Whelen bulb fit. There is a desire by the new owner to relocate the strobe aft a bit and replace the lens with one whose shape hasn't been modified.

Looking for a set.

I couldn't remember if this was the standard Van's lens (it's not a 90* angle), so asking here. Pics...

IMG_8667-XL.jpg

IMG_8668-XL.jpg

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas,
dr

Last edited:
Vans.

Van's made two mod kits for the W415 wingtip:
The first was made using aluminium pieces and the faces were at 90 degrees to each other.
The second, which this one looks like, was a fibreglass insert with ~120 degree faces.

Van's have discontinued both styles and won't make any more lenses. I've asked them a few times because I still get customers asking me for them as well...

Thank you!

Well now we know. Thank you. I figured somebody with the same style would recognize it. If anyone has (2) lens kits they are parting out, please let me know.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
I'm surprised Vans won't point customers to the vendor which made these... Heck, I bet they could sell 25 sets to people like me who have 15-20 year old lenses that are beginning to look shopworn.

I'm surprised Vans won't point customers to the vendor which made these... Heck, I bet they could sell 25 sets to people like me who have 15-20 year old lenses that are beginning to look shopworn.

I'm pretty sure they were an after market part that got sold through Van's and the maker quit making them a long time ago.

[ed. Thank you Scott. I suspected that might be the case. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
odg.jpg

This is the wing tip kit that Vans sold.

I too wish that I could get my hands a replacement set of lens.

Those look like the ones that were made and sold by chief aircraft parts. I had a set on my rv4. I cracked one, I talked to the owner at chief and he said the molds do not exist any more so he could not make any more.

Bob

Vacuum Forming Lenses?

If anyone has a set of old lenses that are crazed or hazy, they could be used as a mold to vacuum form several sets. I'd be interested in trying - but someone has to have originals for me to get the dimensions right.

Lens

I had the same problem. Vans put me in touch with a man in Oregon who owns the molds. I sent him a check for $50 for a lens and never heard from him again. I believe the original manufacturer of the lens was a Yacht builder based in Oregon.

I had the same problem. Vans put me in touch with a man in Oregon who owns the molds. I sent him a check for $50 for a lens and never heard from him again. I believe the original manufacturer of the lens was a Yacht builder based in Oregon.

Ouch! That hurts...

Plastic Blow Molding or Oven Drape Shop

If there are lenses available that could be used to pull the tools from you may want to consider having a shop do a short run.

I used this company several years ago to make some lenses for an application.

Akra Plastic Products, Inc.*
http://www.akraplastics.com/

Look for a shop that does vacuum forming, drape or blow molding of acrylic parts. Give the company a call and spend some time on the phone discussing your requirements. The tooling costs should not be too high. I don't see this one as too big a deal if you find the right shop and do a pool buy in order to amortize the tooling costs.

* This is by no means a recommendation and I do not have nay relationship with this particular company.

-larosta

I am visiting a vendor that does vacuum forming tomorrow. I?ll check to get an idea of the cost to do a short run.

Anyone tried cutting down the RMD lenses to fit? Shape should be the same.

Stewart Willoughby, 6 panel/wiring

Made some for a TBM avenger

I did a restoration of a TBM for the WWII museum and all we did we make a wood mold for the wingtip lens and sent it off to a local vacuum former. The stretch was a bit much for the plastic but it worked.

These are my wingtip lenses. I finally found them at Knots2U. They are from the RMD lighting standard kit and are part numbers nd RV1001-R and RV 1001-L. RMD was purchased by Knots2U. My contact at Knots2U was Kevin Kerr. They had to be trimmed to fit, but it was not difficult. Just trace and cut a little large with tin snips and then finish trimming with a wheel.

Indeed, Knots2U, Jake Bailey on 262 763 5100.

Part numbers RMD-RV1001-R and -L.

Alternatively, one can buy eg RV10?lensrs, heat them and reshape over a mild of the desired shape.

I was about to embark on reshaping when I managed to find Knots2U.

The interior parts of the recess I am planning to make out of aluminium. Shouldn?t be too difficult.

Hope that is helpful.

Chris

Back