What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Holes Left Open for Cowl Hinge

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
I'm rapidly approaching the point at which I will be ready to rivet the F-770 and F-772 skins to the firewall. Knowing how the cowl attaches, I thought to myself, "The hinges must get installed at the same time." I found the following quote in the cowl fitting section of the manual:

"Fit and drill the hinge shown in the Cowling Attach Detail of ... DWG 45 (RV-7/9)..., using the holes left open during fuselage construction."

However, I cannot find any direction on which holes to leave open. It must be all of them, right? Otherwise the hinge would sit on top of the shop head inside the cowling. Am I thinking of this correctly?

Thanks!

There are a few rivets you can install on the top, bottom and side skins where the hinge is not present. If I recall, you can determine which to install by the length of the rivet called out in the drawing (eg. 3.5 vs 4.5).

Ray is right, in that the first sixteen rivets from the bottom up are longer according to Dwg 28. I had a similar question as I am planning to paint soon before it gets too cold here, so I wanted to rivet this hinge on before I have finished the engine and cowl install. In the instructions it says to butt this hinge up against the horizontal hinges, however if you don't know where the horizontal cowl half hinges are going yet, this becomes a little awkward. I am assuming I should just go about 5/16" past the 16th rivet hole and cut the hinge there. If anyone thinks my assumption is off base, let me know.
Tom.

Back