What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 7, revision 1

JHartline

Well Known Member
Guys,

Revision 1 to section 7 (rudder) has a change on page 07-11. In the added step 5 and Figure 1 it has you final drill #33 the aft-most 6 holes in R-903 - the rudder tip rib. The current holes which I have already final drilled and dimpled per the plans are #40 to match the skin and the rivet call outs on page 7-12, figure 2.

So...what gives? The rivet callout is for a 426AD-3-3 which is a little small for a #33 hole. What did all you smart people do here? :confused:

Also, what did you use to get inside the aft part of that tip rib to squeeze those rivets? That's a mighty tight fit!

Read the posts!!

Answering my own post, but is the intent to use MK-319-BS rivets here? Then the skins will need to be #33 drilled to match the rib.

Reviving an old thread

Don't think I've seen this addressed: what dimple is used for these holes? I have a CS4 dimple set but that's a bit big.

We use the MK-319 rivets to replace a AN426AD3 rivet so the same dimple is used. The MK rivet head is just slightly bigger but it is close.
You can very lightly machine countersink the dimple a few thousandths to get a bit better fit.

Per the current version of the plans, page 07-12, these are MK-319-BS rivets. Should the skin also be final-drilled #33 for these or is it punched for them?

Also, I've found references to the MK-319-BS rivet being 120 degrees. Should I use a 120-degree dimple die on these 6 holes in the skin?

You can always try inserting the specified rivet and see if it will go into the hole.
If not, then the hole is not to final size.
In this case, I believe all of the holes are punched .094 for 3/32 rivets. Some people are able to install regular rivets in these holes, so that gives them the option.

If you have 120 deg. dimp. dies for 3/32 rivets they could be used, but I think they are only available for 1/8" (#30 holes)

Back