What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron rigging and stops

jlbpropilot

I have mounted my aileron and checked the travel limits. I am on the low end tolerance for aileron down. Just out of curiosity what is supposed to be the travel limiter for the ailerons? In my case the hinge wire that holds the flaps on is acting as the stop. Doesn't seem correct to me. Can someone put my mind at ease? Here are a couple of pictures. Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/I6PyXyi

I ended up doing what many others have and cutting my hinge wire in two, cutting a couple ears of the hinge and inserting the wire from the middle towards each end. Problem solved. Thanks

aileron stops

Here's how I did it: http://www.rv8.ch/aileron-stops/

20040924215600851_4_original.jpg

Two discrete issues mentioned here:

First, trim that hinge pin so it doesn't touch the aileron bracket. Mine is trimmed such that it doesn't protrude through the brackets at all, so no touching. The hinge pin is not supposed to be used as a control stop.

Secondly, you install a control stop separately for the aileron, either by following the instructions with a small piece of angle riveted to the bracket or as Mickey did, using a nylon spacer which you can get from many places. I did the same as Mickey and got the perfect sized spacer from McMaster-Carr. You have to install a small bit of aluminum tube inside the nylon spacer as a protective bushing. I find it works very well.

Two discrete issues mentioned here:

First, trim that hinge pin so it doesn't touch the aileron bracket. Mine is trimmed such that it doesn't protrude through the brackets at all, so no touching. The hinge pin is not supposed to be used as a control stop.

Secondly, you install a control stop separately for the aileron, either by following the instructions with a small piece of angle riveted to the bracket or as Mickey did, using a nylon spacer which you can get from many places. I did the same as Mickey and got the perfect sized spacer from McMaster-Carr. You have to install a small bit of aluminum tube inside the nylon spacer as a protective bushing. I find it works very well.

More importantly, that spacer carries the compressive load of the bolt. So, don't leave it out.

The travel can be tuned by modifying the diameter of the left and right stop.

Back