What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke oil plumbing

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am working on putting a Smoke System Helper kit into my RV-14. I figured out how to mount the oil tank (nut plates in baggage floor and seat back brace) and I have two options for the pump (mount on tank or use large adel clamps on the battery angles between the baggage bulkhead and the bell crank). But it is a mystery how best to plumb the rubber hose toward the firewall. I need to figure this out before I rivet the baggage floors into place.

Is there a safe way to use the routing clips in the tunnel? I think only three of the four are necessary for the plane (wire harness left, static hose left, wiring harness and ELT cord share one on right). So there is one spare. But it would vibrate and slice through the rubber hose if I don?t protect it somehow.

I could try to route the hose through the lightening holes in the ribs and bulkheads, but to make the turns I would need adel clamps and that would also require drilling holes in the bulkheads, which for all I know could compromise the entire integrity of the airplane.

All thoughts welcome. I am stuck without anything to build and almost out of parts to prime until I figure this out. :)

Here is my current plan, with much credit to Marvin the Smoke System Helper. I will use 3/8? OD aluminum tubing to go through SB750 snap bushings with rubber hose between each (the smoke system came with 3/8? ID hose). An elbow will point up toward the baggage floor center inspection panel next to the tank and I?ll use a quick disconnect right above the floor. The pump will mount on the tank. I would have liked to hide the pump in the tail cone but that made it too difficult to hide the hose, defeating the purpose.

The hose will run in the lower right channel. That makes oil drip directly on the bottom skin if I have to maintain it rather than dripping on wires and then the skin.

This solution maximizes maintainability and minimizes permanent weight in the airplane.

Safety: Inertia Cut-off switch

I'm cutting/pasting this response from Ron Schreck from another post on smoke oil safety.

"Following the death of Amanda Frankin in 2011 our air show team equipped our planes with an inertia switch to cut off both the electric fuel pump and the smoke oil pump. Amanda was a wing walker with her pilot husband Kyle. The engine quit and Kyle did a great job of getting the airplane down in what should have been a survivable crash. Amanda made it off the wing and into the front cockpit before they hit but was restrained by her safety tether and was severely burned in the post crash fire that was fed by the smoke oil pump. We called it the Amanda switch. I don't fly air shows and don't use smoke oil any more but I keep the inertia switch wired in line with the electric fuel pump, just in case.

This is the one we use: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...0aAl-2EALw_wcB "

Back