What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax maintenance costs

sblack

Well Known Member
Friends with a 912 powered airplane were charged 40 hrs to have fuel and oil rubber hoses replaced buy a local rotax dealer. That seems outrageous to me, but I am not a rotax guy. Is this out of line?

Depends.
My first big job as an LSRM was a rubber hose change on a CTSW. It took me five weeks! It was also an annual IIRC, and I wanted it to be perfect. I would spend all morning studying, then work on the plane in the afternoon. The engine had to be removed to get to the hoses.

Now I could probably do one in 4-5 days. I'm not fast, but I like to take my time and do it right. I probably would have a very small customer base if I did much work for the flying public.

But really, they are not required (the hose changes). I would recommend changing them on condition only. But, but sure to get a good look at them. I've seen quite a few fuel lines that are leaking, but leave no trace outside of the fire sleeve.

I just did the complete rubber replacement on my 912 including changing the oil and fuel lines and components.
Changing the coolant lines and refilling coolant took most of an eight hour day.
Changing the oil lines and purging the system, including verifying the lifters were charged, took a little less time to do.
Add about 3 or so hours for disassembly and reassembly, since removing the muffler and exhaust is necessary to make it easier.
For those two tasks, I?d say 40 hours is excessive.
In my opinion.

I just did the complete rubber replacement on my 912 including changing the oil and fuel lines and components.
Changing the coolant lines and refilling coolant took most of an eight hour day.
Changing the oil lines and purging the system, including verifying the lifters were charged, took a little less time to do.
Add about 3 or so hours for disassembly and reassembly, since removing the muffler and exhaust is necessary to make it easier.
In my opinion.

Did you go with Aircraft Specialty Teflon kits?

Yes
It was a perfect fit from them and their service on ordering was very good.
I would highly recommend them.

Yes
It was a perfect fit from them and their service on ordering was very good.
I would highly recommend them.

I got?em 2 and other than water hoses no more gas or oil hose changes, yippee.
Also bought their oil pressure gage relocation hose kit. Mounted it on top of top radiator hose back near the firewall, rock solid indications, recommend it!

40 hours sounds like about what it would take someone who had never done it before, and lacked the tools needed, to do it on an engine still in the airplane. I cant imagine a qualified Rotax maintenance shop taking anywhere near that long. But that's just me.

In my opinion.

Similar experience. One full day for the coolant hoses, fuel lines about half that. I'm slow and careful...mostly slow. 40 hours does seem very excessive.

$5,000 estimate

When I had my annual done on my SLSA RV12 this winter the Rotax certified mechanic told me to expect a $5,000 charge next time for the mandatory rubber hose change. The hoses look like new, the plane has less than 300 hours. I am considering having the plane recertified to ELSA, where I would have more latitude about what repairs and replacements are made. I thought the factory built RV12 would have reasonable maintenance costs but the last annual, with stabilator and trim tab upgrades, ran $1,700.

Ted,

For 5 grand you could go to the three week repairman course, do the replacement yourself and have enough left to cover happy hour every night after class!

Rich

Orrr.... find a Light-Sport Repairman (not an A&P) to do the work. I'd imagine it'd have to be cheaper..

I would probably advise against re-certifying in E-LSA.. You'd lose some value in the plane... how much, I dunno.. depends on what the demand is for S-LSA (the additional demand from flight schools, CFIs and other commercial operators?).

$5,000 estimate

I know I may lose some value in the plane if I recertify, I will think about the three week course. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back