What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1044B Angle

clutch22

Well Known Member
This angle is fabricated in section 31, Upper FWD Fuselage Assembly. I'm wondering why the dimension of the tab isn't given. Am I supposed to assume it is about 3/4" (the same width as the flanges)? I could see that if the tab was too long, you would either be dealing with a gap under the flange, or shy edge distance on the opposite end of the angle during installation.

F-1044B%2BAngle.jpg

That sounds right to me. Interesting that they don't give that dimension, but either way it should work out right, since you only drill one hole in it to start with, and all the way on the other end. The bend will then line up at possibly a very slightly different angle is the tab is longer or shorter, but the holes should all work right.

I would make it the length of the piece that I am connecting it to, with lack of any other dimension.

That's what I did

I just went through this step recently, and I actually struggled with this more than most probably did :mad:. I ended up having to remake the part, not because of the bent tab but because I forgot to install the F-1044C shim in a subsequent step when match-drilling up through the firewall recess (step 31-6.2 and 31-6 Fig 1). I found that part kind of tricky but eventually prevailed. Looking back it wasn't that bad but somehow I got confused with it.

Anyway, as far as the tab itself goes, yes I just trimmed off 3/4" and it fit great. As Jesse said, there is some wiggle room there because there is only one hole to drill, and then once everything is in place and it's clecoed at both ends, you just match-drill the rest of the holes wherever they end up, and the resulting line of holes should pretty easily end up near the middle of the web of the angle.

Best of luck!

I, too, recently scratched my head over this. As Jesse said, if you measure the flange of the firewall angle that this piece attaches to, you will find it to be 3/4". Also, the drawing in the plans is to scale, thus can be used to determine the point of the bend.

wait until

Wait until you try to drive the rivet that goes in that hole :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait until you try to drive the rivet that goes in that hole :).

You ain't kiddin' on that. Just did that step last weekend. Took a Looong time. Kept worrying about screwing it up and having to drill it out. I was relieved it went it right the first time.

How did you bend this part

Any hints on how others bent the flange on the F1044B (3/4" x 3/4" x .125" ? I tried clamping in a vise and twisting with channel locks and the entire angle started to twist vs the flange bending? Help?

How critical is the 149.0 degree angle?

Last edited:
3# mini-sledge (the same one I set #6 rivets in my RV-6A wing spar with) onto a block of wood against the angle near the bend. It took some healthy swings. As for the angle, I'd say it's critical for a good fit but it's better to be underbent slightly and have to adjust a bit than to be overbent and have to unbend it. Bend close and then test fit.

angle is given, then cleco & inspect, rebend...etc

I just clamped the angle (leg perpendicular to leg being bent) in vice (with aluminum protection plates etc), so the bend leg is sitting horizontal, and hit with mallet until the called out angle was met, or at least close. No one can measure out 149 + or minus 1 deg in reality, and this kind of precision is not needed for this part. The radius is somewhat controlled by the "mallet process"....:rolleyes: I fit to the assembly, a bit of back and forth till it looked flat and seated up nice. If you don't have an off-set driver for your rivet gun get one...this is not a tough one in my book....:)

Back