What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Substitute AN426 for AN470?

kbalch

Well Known Member
29-20 Step 5

In an uncharacteristic episode of carelessness, I managed to countersink the aft four holes meant for AN470 rivets - on both sides, no less! Can I substitute AN426 rivets with impunity?

Counter Sink

I don't think countersinking is bad in this case. I did the same thing early on during the Vertical Stab build. I called Vans and they said use 426's and build on. What would concerns me, is by both sides, do you mean right and left or top and bottom sides, of part F-01457-L? If it's top and bottom I would order a new part. If right and left I would build on, after a call to Vans.

I don't think countersinking is bad in this case. I did the same thing early on during the Vertical Stab build. I called Vans and they said use 426's and build on. What would concerns me, is by both sides, do you mean right and left or top and bottom sides, of part F-01457-L? If it's top and bottom I would order a new part. If right and left I would build on, after a call to Vans.

Yep, I agree with all of that. By "both sides" I meant left/right. I've moved on and have now completed Section 29 - less the air vents, as I'm waiting for the arrival of the aluminum units.

A little work on the tailcone today while it's still relatively accessible (-01406 bulkhead components, bottom skin SB, and installation of pitch/yaw servo brackets), and I'll be ready for the big "join" tomorrow morning. Progress!

Back