What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten Sticks

iamtheari

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the Tosten RV-14 sticks come pre-drilled to mount in the plane, or if they have to be match-drilled to the stick bases as the factory sticks do?

You can buy them from VANs which comes already mounted. If you buy them separately, you will need to drill for the set screw but also cut the stick short to the correct size.

Tosten sticks

I just match-drilled the Tosten sticks I bought directly from Vans. Drill #19, then enlarge to #12. The steel was hard enough to dull my bits until I turned the RPMs on the press to as low as it would go. That, and new carbide bits from Spruce did the trick. I did not need to shorten them... or at least I don't THINK I did.
Andrew Alexander
EAA Chapter 1

The Tosten has PTT, AP disconnect, aileron trim, and perhaps flaps... I'm at the house right now and can't confirm. The molex connector is plug-in ready. A standard Vans stick doesn't have the multiple features and requires wiring. The powder white curved bar steel composition looks similar, apart from the Tosten grip. I bought my Tosten from Van's. It still needed to be match-drilled to the control stick base (use a new carbide bit with a very slow-turning drill press).
Andrew Alexander
EAA Chapter 1

The Tosten has PTT, AP disconnect, aileron trim, and perhaps flaps... I'm at the house right now and can't confirm. The molex connector is plug-in ready. A standard Vans stick doesn't have the multiple features and requires wiring. The powder white curved bar steel composition looks similar, apart from the Tosten grip. I bought my Tosten from Van's. It still needed to be match-drilled to the control stick base (use a new carbide bit with a very slow-turning drill press).
Andrew Alexander
EAA Chapter 1

So the stick profile is the same, it's just a matter of them being cut to the right length for the Tosten military-style grip and pre-wired?

Back