What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS NAC velocity

Handclutch

Well Known Member
I am installing a Trig TT21 transponder and using a Garmin 420 W for the ADSB feed. Setup in the Trig is asking for the Navigational Accuracy Category for velocity (NACv) for the Garmin. Says it will be in the GPS installation manual but I can't find it. Has anybody come across it? It will be the same for both the 420 and 430 W.

Jack

I am installing a Trig TT21 transponder and using a Garmin 420 W for the ADSB feed. Setup in the Trig is asking for the Navigational Accuracy Category for velocity (NACv) for the Garmin. Says it will be in the GPS installation manual but I can't find it. Has anybody come across it? It will be the same for both the 420 and 430 W.

Jack

10 meters/sec

However for the trig:
NOTE: If the Garmin ADS-B Plus protocol is used then the NACv is set dynamically by the
Garmin GPS unit. This manual configuration item is ignored.

BTW, here in the US the TT-21 doesn't have enough power to meet the US ADSB specs. I presume you checked, it's legal in Australia?
PS I'm using a TT-22 and a G420W, to meet US ADSB-out rules. Works great.

Thanks, Bob. Yes, the TT21 is legal in Oz up to 15000? and below 175 knots. After that you need the TT22 (class 2 transponder). The TT22 transmits at a higher power.

Jack

Interesting. I checked my Freeflight setting, and it is called out at 3 M/sec. I would have expected the Garmin and Freeflight settings would be closer to each other.

Back