What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RV-1 Flies Again!

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
This afternoon at Hicks (T67). Paul Dye pilot.

My pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/VansAirForce/RV1_Flies_Again

More to follow (there were three more cameras there).​
IMG_0698.JPG

related: www.RV-1.org

br,
dr​

Last edited:
GREAT NEWS!!!!

Congratulations to all involved in this historic restoration! Cant wait to hear from Paul on how it flies :cool:

Very nice! Can't wait to read Paul's report about flying the plane that started it all.

Congrats!!

To all of those who had a hand in this project. To the principles, than you for allowing us to share in history!
Thank you!!
Tom

Congratulations, everyone!

The designer designed and built. The owners and caretakers took care. The leaders led. The restorers restored. The donors donated, and are still donating.

Next, the fans will see her in glory, first on tour, and then on display.

The first RV to crossover from homebuilt to vintage! What a great day!

--
Stephen

Congrats

YEEHAA

Wish I was closer to the action so I could join in.

Can't wait to see her. Hopefully, at Oshkosh.

Pierre is right (although a quick re-read of Paul's log book review indicates the RV-1 as we see it today is of 1965 vintage !). I would love to hear what Vans thinks of the "first RV" not that 46+ years have passed. I'm so thankful he has been a part of aviation !

An a big thanks to the Friends of the RV-1 !

Perhaps one of us will get the Luck chance to ask Vans personally during the EAA webinar on the 28th !

GREAT job, team! Can't wait to see it at Oshkosh. If it is passing near Indiana, a tank of gas on me!

Bob

GREAT job, team! Can't wait to see it at Oshkosh. If it is passing near Indiana, a tank of gas on me!

Bob

You just need to plan to fly up north a bit on Memorial Day, Bob, and you can make good on that promise. :D

Still in the early stages of planning, but a stop in or near Elkhart is in the works on the 2012 Barnstorming Tour for the RV-1. As the time grows nearer, I'm sure posts will be made cementing the itinerary.

Congrats to everyone who participated in resurrecting the RV-1! I showed my wife the video of the first flight and she said, "THAT'S an RV?" Girls. :D

Historical event!

A historical event! Amazing job how fast the team put it together.
Be safe and look forward to seeing it as OSH.

Congratulations to the team that made this happen. Very cool!
It was announced at our EAA Chapter 288 meeting last Thursday, that Van will be speaking at our meeting during Sun n' Fun, and that the RV-1 will be on display at that meeting.
I am looking forward to that!

O' Happy Day!

Well done and congrats to ALL envolved!

May the RV1 have many successful missions!

Congrats! It's been great to read all of your updates, follow along online, and watch all of this hard work and dedication come together to (re)produce something like this. Thanks for documenting it for those of us who aren't able to be there in person to help out.

Great Job!

Big thanks to all of those that helped the RV-1 fly again. I loved the video and can't wait to see it in person at Osh.. Great job!

C'mon, Paul, don't keep us hanging ...

How long until Paul spills the beans on how the RV-1 flew? With his recent experience test flying Junior, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear how it compares with other RVs.

I mean, it's not like he has a job anymore, right? :D

Anyone got a take from Van yet ?

I guess he needs to get it airborne to square the circle.

That will be a good vid :D

Nice Job!

Congrats to everyone invloved in the project.

It was cool to see the RV1 while visiting Jay Pratt last week. I did happen to notice a few high profile RV autographs on the baffling...

Keep Up the Good Work!

Air-to-Air from the first flight

Okay, not a photo that I'm proud of but it is a photo of the RV-1 up in the air again. I'm sure we'll have much better photos in a week or two. This one is a snap shot from the back of Roy Greer's RV-8.

IMG_1530.JPG

Last edited:
How long until Paul spills the beans on how the RV-1 flew? With his recent experience test flying Junior, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear how it compares with other RVs.

I mean, it's not like he has a job anymore, right? :D

OK, gotta pick some quote...someone I can pick on.....Don, you're off the Christmas list (which I write on those long, overnight shifts flying the ISS....) :p

Sorry to be so late to the thread folks - and thanks for all the well-wishes, on behalf of the ENTIRE team that has worked to get us to this point. Louise and I just got back from Fort Worth - we stayed over to work with a number of folks on this and other projects, and were hoping to fly the RV-1 again today. Unfortunately, by the time the ceilings had lifted, the winds had picked up something fierce - even getting the -3 into Hicks was a challenge.

Below is an excerpt from the post-flight report I just wrote. the airplane really does fly like an RV, it's just not as light on the controls as what we are all used to in the modern airplanes. Above all, however, it is honest. What else but honesty would you expect from Van?

Thanks again for everyone that has helped to this point, and for everyone that will be helping out from now until the tour is over. It will take a whole lot of people spread around the continent to pull this off, but I have confidence in the RV community. Look for a chance to help out when the RV-1 comes near you!

Flight Report

Taxi and take-off were normal for a tail dragger. The brakes are definitely sensitive, but once the pilot calibrates themselves, it should not be a problem – they need to be very careful the first time they are applied however. Lateral stability on the ground is not as positive as most RV’s – once the tail starts to swing, it feels like it would have a tendency to go around – more like a normal tail dragger than the very stable RV’s. The tail wheel is very firm, and sends considerable feedback through the airframe when hitting bumps – pilots should be aware – no damage appears to be done by this.

Take-off was normal for an RV- tail came up in about 100- 1500 feet of roll, acceleration was good, and control at lift-off was positive. Speeds weren’t recorded on this flight, as we really don’t know how accurate any of the instruments are. The initial rate of climb was quite good – about what we would expect for the horsepower. The airplane felt well-trimmed with the tab in a neutral position, and pitch forces were normal.

The airplane was climbed to 3,000’ over the field (field elevation approximately 850’), and several orbits were performed to evaluate handling. In typical RV fashion, roll and pitch are harmonious, and the rudder is fairly heavy at normal flight speeds. Roll and pitch are sluggish compare to a modern RV, but perfectly adequate and not out of the ordinary for production aircraft. Comparing it to modern RV’s, the controls are more like an RV-8 than an RV-4 – good, but not at all light. Trim is quick, but the range is not great. Turns to both left and right were performed, and stability seems strong in all axes.

Most of the cruise testing was done at approximately 2350 RPM, but the tachometer calibration seems questionable. Airspeed was about 140 mph indicated at that setting. Flaps were lowered through full range below 100 mph, and stability was good. Stalls were not approached (although the landing behavior was excellent, so we anticipate good stall characteristics). Oil pressure was solid at 80 psi, oil temperatures never got above 140 – 150 degrees. VSI reads in the correct direction, but calibration is unknown. Airspeed indicator and altimeter appear to be reasonable. Compass may or may not be adequate – will have to further evaluate.

After orbiting the field several time, the flight let the pattern, flew about four miles to a neighboring field, then returned for a pattern entry.
Flaps were lowered below 100 mph to two notches on downwind leg. Trim was all the way nose up, but additional backpressure was required to hold an approach speed of about 75 mph. This was not uncomfortable, but it appears that there is inadequate trim force available to hold a slow approach speed. I considered lowering full flaps on final approach, but the geometry of the cockpit and flap lever made this too difficult to attempt on final, so the landing was accomplished with 2/3rds flaps.

The landing round-out and flare was positive, very stable, and easily predictable. A three-point landing was attained on the first try, and brakes were not applied until it was clear that the airplane was done flying. Control was good, and there was no tendency for it to depart either right or left – surprising, given the visually obvious gear alignment issues. The alignment does not need to be adjusted for flight purposes.

Post-flight shutdown was normal. After de-cowling, the only problem found was a seeping oil cooler hose fitting that needs to be replaced.

Paul F. Dye
20 Feb 2012

Last edited:
1350 or 2350?

Although Paul states that "Most of the cruise testing was done at approximately 1350 RPM, but the tachometer calibration seems questionable.".....I'd venture to say that the '1350' is a typo and he possibly meant '2350'??

Maybe Paul can clarify?

Looks like its going to be a speed demon when you use all the power! ;)

VSI reads in the correct direction, but calibration is unknown. Airspeed indicator and altimeter appear to be reasonable.

Just an FYI on Instruments:

Altimeter: Repaired and meets IFR specs to 14K ft. (we wouldn't want our test pilot to get busted in the DFW class B airspace now would we)
Airspeed: Instrument "bench" tested and found accurate to within about 5mph to 150mph
VSI is "placarded" inop, it responds slowly but is not reliable.

Tach - ??? (I’ll see if I can find an handheld optical tach to check it against in flight)
Oil pres gauge checked and found accurate within 5 psi.

The aircraft has no static system and instruments are simply vented to cabin air so this may effect accuracy :confused:

Walt

Last edited:
Although Paul states that "Most of the cruise testing was done at approximately 1350 RPM, but the tachometer calibration seems questionable.".....I'd venture to say that the '1350' is a typo and he possibly meant '2350'??

Maybe Paul can clarify?

Oops - dang fat fingers... yes guys - thanks - it was 2350 RPM. Fixed it up above...

Walt and Roy did a great job on the insturment panel - keeping it authentic yet making sure the critical stuff works. If you've ever flown an authentic J-3, you understand what's critical....uhh, nothin'? ;)

I actually forget to see if the Hobbs is hooked up - pretty sophisticated instrument for an airplane like this!

Last edited:
Paul is right. The ONE flys grate !
Loged 1.2 today. JUST LIKE AN RV. Not quite as light.
Tracks stright. Climbs at 110 mph like an RV.
Cruise : 2400 rpm/ 140 MPH. 2300rpm/ 130 MPH. 2000rpm. 110 MPH.
Stalls : VS 62 IAS. VSO 58 IAS. Needs to be checked.
This is an HONEST AC. The stall is better than most RV's I'v flown (20+).
Flaps at 90, App at 75/70. It tracks STRIGHT.
SWEET
This flight is in my logbook.
:D
Roy

Jarhead,

Now wipe the RV smile off that face.

I know you enjoyed that one.

I wish my BOB could fit in there.

Great job to you and Paul.

Boomer OUT

Current tour schedule

Many of you have mentioned that you look forward to seeing the RV-1 at Oshkosh, but you may not have to wait. Here is the current travel plans for the RV-1. More events will be added along its path and several are in the works (like in eastern Canada) but we're still working on specific issues. Of course, weather and/or mechanicals will undoubtedly change the itinerary. But, here's our current plans. (Folks in the Southeast, there may be some stops between Texas and Florida on the way to SnF but we aren't committing to anything until the plane is out of Grady's paint shop for touch-ups).

If you have an EAA chapter or group of RVers along the route that would like to sponsor a stop (maybe fill up the tank and the pilot) and you haven't contacted me yet, please email or PM me with your location and contact information. Several of the planned stops below came out of responses to an earlier request from me.

DRAFT 2012 TRIBUTE TOUR TO RICHARD VANGRUNSVEN SCHEDULE
MARCH
3/3 - Hicks Airfield, Fort Worth, Texas - RV-1 Coming Out Party
3/27-3/0 – SUN ‘n FUN, Lakeland, Florida; http://www.sun-n-fun.org/

APRIL
3/31 –Spruce Creek Airpark EAA Chapter 288 event, Florida - Van will attend
4/3 - Savannah, GA (KSAV) EAA Chapter event
4/20 – 22 – North Carolina RV Formation Clinic, Stanly County, NC – KVUJ); http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=80817
4/28-29 - Virginia Regional Festival of Flight, Suffolk, VA (SFQ); http://virginiaflyin.org/

MAY
5/3 - Chapter 528 meeting, Frederick, Maryland
5/5 – Maryland Festival of Flight, Hagerstown, MD
~5/8-15 – New England
~5/16-28 – Eastern Canada

BARNSTORMING TOUR5/29 EKM (Indiana) to LXT (Lees Summit [KC], MO)
5/30 BJC (Bloomfield [Denver], CO)
5/31 OGD (Ogden, UT)

JUNE
6/1 RTS (Reno-Stead, NV)
6/2 KMYV (Marysville. CA)
6/8-10 – Golden West Fly-In, Marysville, CA – KMYV; http://www.goldenwestflyin.org/
6/23 - Langley Flyin, BC; http://wiki.matronics.com/wiki/index.php/Langley_Fly-in

JULY
July 11-15 – Arlington Fly-In, Arlington, Washington; http://www.arlingtonflyin.org/
July 23-29 – EAA AirVenture, Oshkosh, WI; http://www.airventure.org/

Last edited:
Back