What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS KAI update

rcarsey

Well Known Member
lots of updates out for the 12iS

Section 1, 2, 3, 5 and 28 (rudder pedals mislabeled & F-1289C-L tubing length change)

Interesting things in Section 1:
  • There is a "Section 35GiS/U Premium Brake System" optional kit.
  • The "Section 41B: Canopy Glare Shield" is in grey (not available yet), but I'm sure I have the glare shield in my finishing kit (?)
  • New "Section 42PiS: GTN650" - so that's an option for E-LSA too i guess. gosh i wish IFR navigators didn't cost an arm and a leg.

occasionally, I'm pleased that I'm being a slow poke with my build.. this weight savings will compensate for all the primer that i've shot inside the plane :)

I assume it'll be possible to get the parts and install the Premium Brake System on older, non-iS RV-12s?

?Premium Brake Kit?, I seem to have missed this. I don?t see it on any of the order forms, where can I get more info?

It was developed for the SLSA trainer version and probably hasn't worked its way onto the order form yet.
If you talk with someone in the office when you are ready to order a finish kit, they should be able to help you out.

It was developed for the SLSA trainer version and probably hasn't worked its way onto the order form yet.
If you talk with someone in the office when you are ready to order a finish kit, they should be able to help you out.
Roger, thanks Scott!

BTW, really good to have you here, thanks to both you for your personal effort and Van's for supporting your involvement.

Can someone identify the "premium" rotor disk so legacy guys can investigate? Maybe hard-chrome plated?

Cleveland brakes give you choice of rotor disk material...

The discussion is about a premium wheel and brake set (Grove brand in stead of Matco), not premium discs for Matco.

I was asking about ?Premium? brake rotors in above post.

I have decided to buy a new set of Matco rotors and have them hard chrome plated. I contacted Master Chrome in Cleveland, OH. They hard chrome aircraft brake rotors for Parker Aerospace.

I will send them two new Matco rotors and they will do the following:

• Strip yellow zinc plating
  • Flash hard chrome entire unit
  • Polish after plating to get an even finish

No need for post heat treatment. Rotors for Parker Aerospace don?t require a post bake for hydrogen embrittlement.

Cost for two (2) rotors?. $125.00

Master Chrome Service Inc
5709 Herman Ave
Cleveland, Ohio 44102

Can someone identify the "premium" rotor disk so legacy guys can investigate?

I was asking about ?Premium? brake rotors in above post.

Ok

You wrote the "premium" rotor disk so legacy guys can investigate?.
By the, it sounded to me like you understood that there is a premium disc for newer builds that the legacy RV-12's could benefit from. I was just pointing out that the newer option is not for Matco.

I just ordered my finish kit and still didn't see this option, is it standard now, or do I have to add it? Any other options to consider that aren't on the order forms?

Back when I made the original post I was unaware that a decision was made to not offer it as an option for E-LSA kits.

lots of updates out for the 12iS

Section 1, 2, 3, 5 and 28 (rudder pedals mislabeled & F-1289C-L tubing length change)

Interesting things in Section 1:
  • There is a "Section 35GiS/U Premium Brake System" optional kit.
  • The "Section 41B: Canopy Glare Shield" is in grey (not available yet), but I'm sure I have the glare shield in my finishing kit (?)
  • New "Section 42PiS: GTN650" - so that's an option for E-LSA too i guess. gosh i wish IFR navigators didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Is there a digital version of the updated KAI available for the -12iS? My version received from the builder is from 2016 or 2017.

If so, does anyone know where to locate?

Is there a digital version of the updated KAI available for the -12iS? My version received from the builder is from 2016 or 2017.

If so, does anyone know where to locate?

In the “store” on Van’s website. Login and you will find a section there with all the latest plans for your aircraft.

In the “store” on Van’s website. Login and you will find a section there with all the latest plans for your aircraft.

Thanks for the heads up! What a great tool provided by Vans! I can't imagine any other kit company providing such wonderful support as Vans does.

Back