What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Construction by Ned Bowers - Skybolt

NBowers

After years of design work on aircraft cowlings, I finally came full circle back to the typical Vans Cowling and the builder option for Camloc or Skybolt CLoc 1/4-Turn Fasteners. The challenge has always been the supporting flanges to mount locking receptacles. Looking at alternatives, with input from many builders, our team came up with the interlocking flange concept. When we finally got it to look good on paper, we built a mockup of an RV8 cowling to not only test the concept, but to see if it "looked" good enough to place our name on it. In the process, we were able to evaluate the cowling construction from beginning to end, using Vans instructions, our experience, and a new approach to building and trimming a completed cowling. I encourage all builders to view the Skybolt Vans Instructions posted on our website so that you may evaluate some great options for your current or future project:

http://skybolt.com/Vans RV Cowling Installation 2011 Rev 4.pdf

We invite your comments, questions and your business.

Regards,

Ned Bowers, Skybolt

After years of design work on aircraft cowlings, I finally came full circle back to the typical Vans Cowling and the builder option for Camloc or Skybolt CLoc 1/4-Turn Fasteners. The challenge has always been the supporting flanges to mount locking receptacles. Looking at alternatives, with input from many builders, our team came up with the interlocking flange concept. When we finally got it to look good on paper, we built a mockup of an RV8 cowling to not only test the concept, but to see if it "looked" good enough to place our name on it. In the process, we were able to evaluate the cowling construction from beginning to end, using Vans instructions, our experience, and a new approach to building and trimming a completed cowling. I encourage all builders to view the Skybolt Vans Instructions posted on our website so that you may evaluate some great options for your current or future project:

Regards,

Ned Bowers, Skybolt

On a follow up thought, with reference to the Vans instructions for constructing the cowling, the cowling installation remains the (at least one of the) most challenging aspect of the entire project. As a mundane step in the building process, it also has the ability to define the entire quality of the finished product. For years, I (Skybolt) have received our fair share of criticism for lame instructions reference the cowling. The most criticism has been the lack of diagrams or drawings. Basically, our instructions have simply said ?install parts? assuming the builder has vast experience with ?-Turn Fasteners. Possibly, a bad assumption. I then turned to the Vans instructions to see if I might pick up some guidance from a better perspective. My opinion was that the Vans Air Force Forum had more tips and information on cowlings than both my instructions and Vans instructions combined. What was really missing was the best starting point. Here I have two cowling halves worth about $900 that are not even close to fitting. Why? The kits supplied by Vans in today?s world are CNC prepared so why can?t the cowling as well be better prepped for a final fit? In my mockup, I ordered actual Vans firewall and skins and found that the components fit perfectly. In defense of the cowling producers, they are attempting to cover multiple engine configurations, thus the cowling halves leave plenty of skin area for trimming. But trim where what and when? In other words, what sequence and where do I start? So I proceeded to write our new instructions based on my experience building both production cowlings and kit plane cowlings. As I worked my way through the process, I also made changes to the fasteners as well as fabricating inserts to ?clamp? the cowling after trimming the firewall without committing myself to the final hole locations. All the while, I assumed that the sequence I was using would apply to a hinge installation versus our CLoc ?-Turn fastener installation. In conclusion, I invited feedback from various builders and made appropriate changes. Skybolt has been shipping the newest version of our kits with the interlocking, precut flanges, and we are beginning to receive positive feedback. Knowing the vast amount of experience in the Vans world of outstanding aircraft, I continue to rely on tips and feedback on experiences so that Skybolt can write the best possible procedural instructions to make a mundane step in the overall build just a little bit more ?exciting?. At the end of the day, the cowling is one of the first things to define the finished product. It certainly gives us pride to walk the flight line and see the incredible craftsmanship, especially when our fasteners are used and showcased. We have made a vast improvement in our product and remain committed to advance as the Vans product advances. Your feedback and comments help us provide the best design possible. Whether you plan to use hinge, CLoc fasteners, or a combination, I invite you to use our instructions as a guideline for installing and trimming the cowling for the best possible results. Please note our web address for instructions: http://skybolt.com/Vans RV Cowling Installation 2011 Rev 4.pdf

To all our customers, my sincere thanks,
Ned Bowers

Segmented flange sections....what a clever idea!

Ned, the only suggestion I'd have has been discussed here before. These three gaps have a bad habit of capturing the rear corner of a cowl section when you reinstall after maintenance. It's a scratch and chip thing. My next airplane will get solid flanges (no scallops) in that short section along the side.

9rn7nk.jpg

On a follow up thought, with reference to the Vans instructions for constructing the cowling, the cowling installation remains the (at least one of the) most challenging aspect of the entire project. As a mundane step in the building process, it also has the ability to define the entire quality of the finished product. For years, I (Skybolt) have received our fair share of criticism for lame instructions reference the cowling. The most criticism has been the lack of diagrams or drawings. Basically, our instructions have simply said ?install parts? assuming the builder has vast experience with ?-Turn Fasteners. Possibly, a bad assumption. I then turned to the Vans instructions to see if I might pick up some guidance from a better perspective. My opinion was that the Vans Air Force Forum had more tips and information on cowlings than both my instructions and Vans instructions combined. What was really missing was the best starting point. Here I have two cowling halves worth about $900 that are not even close to fitting. Why? The kits supplied by Vans in today?s world are CNC prepared so why can?t the cowling as well be better prepped for a final fit? In my mockup, I ordered actual Vans firewall and skins and found that the components fit perfectly. In defense of the cowling producers, they are attempting to cover multiple engine configurations, thus the cowling halves leave plenty of skin area for trimming. But trim where what and when? In other words, what sequence and where do I start? So I proceeded to write our new instructions based on my experience building both production cowlings and kit plane cowlings. As I worked my way through the process, I also made changes to the fasteners as well as fabricating inserts to ?clamp? the cowling after trimming the firewall without committing myself to the final hole locations. All the while, I assumed that the sequence I was using would apply to a hinge installation versus our CLoc ?-Turn fastener installation. In conclusion, I invited feedback from various builders and made appropriate changes. Skybolt has been shipping the newest version of our kits with the interlocking, precut flanges, and we are beginning to receive positive feedback. Knowing the vast amount of experience in the Vans world of outstanding aircraft, I continue to rely on tips and feedback on experiences so that Skybolt can write the best possible procedural instructions to make a mundane step in the overall build just a little bit more ?exciting?. At the end of the day, the cowling is one of the first things to define the finished product. It certainly gives us pride to walk the flight line and see the incredible craftsmanship, especially when our fasteners are used and showcased. We have made a vast improvement in our product and remain committed to advance as the Vans product advances. Your feedback and comments help us provide the best design possible. Whether you plan to use hinge, CLoc fasteners, or a combination, I invite you to use our instructions as a guideline for installing and trimming the cowling for the best possible results. Please note our web address for instructions: http://skybolt.com/Vans RV Cowling Installation 2011 Rev 4.pdf

Ned Bowers

SK-RVFS1_1.jpg

SK-RVFS1_2.jpg

jssm_dsc02747.jpg

jssm_dsc02733.jpg

jssm_dsc02817.jpg

Segmented flange sections....what a clever idea!

Ned, the only suggestion I'd have has been discussed here before. These three gaps have a bad habit of capturing the rear corner of a cowl section when you reinstall after maintenance. It's a scratch and chip thing. My next airplane will get solid flanges (no scallops) in that short section along the side.

9rn7nk.jpg

Dan: Thanks for weighing in. Going back to another recommendation you made to me referencing floating receptacles versus non-floating receptacles, I did make a radical change to tradition when I built this mockup by approaching the project with 100% non-floating (adjustable) receptacles. This eliminates all concerns of dynamic cowling ?shift?. Using the sequence of trimming as referenced in my instructions, prior to trimming the sides, I found that a few ?floating? receptacles allowed me to move the trim line ever so slightly to close any remaining gap at the firewall. Then I trimmed the sides and installed all non-floating receptacles along the sides. Thus, based on your recommendation, I used only 6 floating receptacles in a complete kit in the upper firewall, three on each side; relying on the non-flaoting receptacle as the prominent part. This cowling fit close to perfect (a relative term in the world of craftsmanship) at all trim lines with no cowling ?shift? at all. Your input did indeed drive me to think along these lines that broke tradition. I thank you for your suggestion.

Ned Bowers

js640_DSC02938.jpg
Using Skybolt's new interlocking flange system, this RV8 colwing mockup was completed in a weekend prior to our forums at Sun N Fun.

To accomodate engine mounts, sharp curves, other obstacles, the interlocking flange system allows the builder to easily position flanges/fasteners. Once flange positioning is determined, outer skin (cowling) fastener holes are easily located at center due to transparency of cowling skin. The pre-fabricated flanges save considerable build time and allow a very professional finish even if this is your first project.
js640_DSC02942.jpg

A real winner!!!

Hi Ned,

First, it was pleasure assisting you in the instruction review. Second, you've got a real winner with the new system. This has reduced the time to install by days not just hours.

I'm looking forward to installing the system in my new RV7.

For those considering fasteners for the cowl, the quality, ease of install and customer service is without equal.

Thanks Ned for a great product!!!

Just easier.

Construction time won't be much different. The rear of the top cowl is much easier to undo with camloks, as is the lower cowl underneath, with three camloks per side.

On our -6A and my -10, the piano hinge remained on the horizontal cowl split and the vertical lower cowl sides. I preferred the clean looks of the piano hinges.

Best,

Great Buy on Skybolt Fastener Kits

Regards,

Ned Bowers, Skybolt

Aircraft Spruce is promoting a nice discount on the Skybolt Kits during Oshkosh. I took advantage, bought the kit and I really like the detailed installation instructions. Looking at the hinge installation and the Skybolt installation, it appears that the Skybolt installation is easier because of the lip support while trimming the cowling.

30WEST

Sky lot cam locks.

I have just finished riveting all my skybolt cam locks to the firewall/ fuselage except the ones that define the split line of the cowling halves. The most challenging part was to work out the spacing but after about 2 hours we got the spacing that worked for the RV7.
All though not the optimum spacing of 3.5 inches I had 3 3/4 up the sides and 3 5/8 along the top of the cowling..which seems to work well and still provides 5 cam locks up the side to the split line.
I like the idea of the cam locks for the ease of cowling removal and eliminating the risk of a hinge pin going into the prop, while I have read all the modification that folks do with the piano hinges, I have also read several cases where the pins have vibrated loose only to hit the prop. This is one issue I don't want that can add a great expense.

Not affiliated with Skybolt, just a happy customer.

I have also read several cases where the pins have vibrated loose only to hit the prop. This is one issue I don't want that can add a great expense.

The only way this could be possible is if builders don't follow the plans and use a side pin that is locked in place in some way.
The kits are supplied with pins that have welded on tabs that get locked to the cowling with screws (it does require remembering to install the screws). There are alternate lock methods that have been designed by numerous builders, for those that don't like the appearance of the welded tab.

what about weight??

This system looks extremely neat and certainly for the firewall a lot less fiddley, for the underside less bother than lockwiring two short pins.

But what is the weight penalty for a complete skybolt installation eg for an RV 4 vs the Van's hinge system?

Thanks,

Chris

RV-8 G-GIGZ - sold
RV-4 - remediating and completing build. Fuel and avionics to finish.

Gentlemen, I posted a request in a separate thread but I want to ask it here; with the Skybolt 1/4turns, do you have to also use the shimming as called out on drawing 45?

Paul
RV-7A
N277PM
W. Lafayette IN
Donation paid 2013

Use whatever shimming is nessesary to get the cowl flush. Someone suggested slightly over shimming and using AC duct foil tape for a perfect fit. I my cowl is very close. I will either use the method above or micro to perfection.

Flanges

Are the flanges available separately? I have a "old" kit, still new in bags but just getting around to doing cowl.:mad:

Are the flanges available separately? I have a "old" kit, still new in bags but just getting around to doing cowl.:mad:

I bought a set of skyloc's for my 2002 kit. I asked about comparison of the BOM with a new kit and recontacted several times with no joy. This older kit has mostly fixed, not floaters.

I mounted the engine, fit the spinner, leveled the fuse, and marked the split line of the cowl on the fuse. This way the line of fasteners on the cowl will intersect the last one on the fuse. It keeps them in line. I used colored in a tube to find the split line that is equal to the crankshaft centerline.

Skylocs for the 6 fasteners along the bottom of the fuse may be just as easy with two solid pieces. YMMV

Skybolt #1

I have nothing but praise to Skybolt Airmotive. I purchased their kit for my RV7 in 07 and then they came out with their "new" kit with flanges. I emailed Ned and he gladly exchanged my kit for a small fee. He didn't have to but he did it and gladly. It is exceptional that there are businesses that still have customer service as a defining role. Hats off to Skybolt! Thanks Ned....:)

Back