What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-00049 Wire Cover Plate and lack of clearance to the mixer

Brett H

When I get everything tucked under the wire cover plate, including the AOA line, I'm only able to get half the needed travel of the mixer before it contacts the wire cover plate.

The only thing that I have been able to do to resolve this is to push on the middle of the cover plate. Makeing the two bends a steeper angle and pushing on the system blocks hasn't helped.

How have people been resolving this???

Thanks.

Brett Herrick
Columbus, Indiana

Brett ... it is a tight fit to be sure. You may want to try cutting away a little more of the white blocks to to make the slots wider ... this will give you a little more room. Next attempt to really do a good job of organizing the wires so they fit tightly into the voids left by the round shape of tubing and coax cables when they are sitting flat on the blocks. I also used tiny wire ties to pull down on the wire cover which also seemed to help. The mixer arm does not touch now ... but there is not an abundance of clearance.

Happy building,

I think this is a classic case of middle aged spread ;)

The 12 was designed in a 2009 world, we are all older now in 2017 and guess what, all the goodies have expanded which results in more wires etc.

We have modified he whole routing and bundling of W-45 and W-46 as it goes down and rearwards because there isn't sufficient room to route it where the original plans say without creating pinch points and stress. We have brought our two bundles down between the rudder horns and tied them forward to an extra cushion clamp on the firewall rather than try and force them over the rudder tubes and down - that would have been nearly impossible at the point in the build when it is prescribed. You may have done it if the two bundles were routed a page or three earlier.

Where they go under the mixer is tight on both of ours and was cured by being diligent in wire routing, literally pulling and laying them one at a time to avoid crossovers and extra lumps.

A little extra bend and fold here and there on the covers helped, as did a small amount of pressure once installed with a piece of 2 x 1 battening to 'scrunch' everything together.

Hope that helps.

When I get everything tucked under the wire cover plate, including the AOA line, I'm only able to get half the needed travel of the mixer before it contacts the wire cover plate.

The only thing that I have been able to do to resolve this is to push on the middle of the cover plate. Makeing the two bends a steeper angle and pushing on the system blocks hasn't helped.

How have people been resolving this???

Thanks.

Brett Herrick
Columbus, Indiana

There were two versions of the white blocks, the latter one having a wider slot for the wires. Even with this, it was hard to make it work without rubbing. Careful packaging of the wires in the slots combined with pressing the cover plate down with the handle of a screwdriver made it all work.

Jerre

First, thanks for all of the responses.

The comment was made that the wiring slot in the system block was made wider. What is the current width?

I have tried the following to resolve the interference:
1.) I have further organized the wires. I have removed the spiral wrap that I had used to organize the wiring. I think that it is fairly well organized. I think further organization would require removing the wiring / tubes that have been installed and starting over.
2.) I originally had the pitot tube and AOA on the outside to hold the wires in. I have moved these tubes to the center.
3.) I have changed the bends on the wire cover
4.) I have pushed down on the wire cover to compress the wires / tubes
5.) I have wrapped the wire cover and wires / tubes with wire ties to compress it

Unfortunately, these efforts have not resolved the interference.

Further, it is not possible to remove the bottom system blocks since they are trapped by two of the aluminum fuel lines.

So, my alternatives seem to be:
1.) Make the wiring slots wider
2.) Make a stiffer wiring cover to push down harder on the wires / tubes
3.) Route the AOA tube to the left of the mixer so that the AOA tube doesn?t need to do through the front two system blocks.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Brett Herrick
Columbus, IN

Back