What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monty Barrett

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
I'm sorry to report the passing of Monty Barrett, one of aviation's best.

It's been a difficult week for the whole family. I would not expect anyone to answer the phone at Barrett Precision Engines until after the funeral (Wednesday, in Shawnee, OK), or perhaps a bit longer. Allen and Rhonda do expect to keep a normal Oshkosh schedule. A memorial service is anticipated after OSH, in Tulsa.

More later.

Sad indeed. A tremendous wealth of engine knowledge lost now to the sands of time. Everyone I ever talked to who had a Barrett engine built always had the best things to say about the build, performance and service. Monty built a great business and following.

He will be missed by many.

Very sorry to hear that but thanks for sharing the news. Monty was such a wealth of experience! He’ll be missed.

Monty Barrett set the bar high for engines, he will be missed.
Rhonda and Allan have followed in his tradition...,great people, great company.

Yes, sad to hear this news. Our thoughts and prayers to Betty, Allen and Rhonda. Great folks and family.
Kent Wilkens

I want to add my condolences. I never met Monty personally but the company and the engine say a lot about the person and so I know I missed out on knowing a great man.

Sad

Sad to know of his passing. Glad he lived. We were blessed to have him in our time.
Dan thanks for sharing.
I?m installing a Barrett engine rebuild on my Exp Supercub today.
He will be missed.....

I met Monty for the first time 25 years ago at an Airpark called Cookson Hills in NE Oklahoma where he lived. My father in law was from a near by town called Talequah Ok. Monty and my Father in Law had been part of Oklahoma Aviation for many years. Monty was a great guy and will be missed. My father in Law also passed a few years ago, wished he was still with us as well.

Arrangements are:

Wednesday, 11AM
Walker Funeral Service
201 E 45th St
Shawnee, OK 74804

Graveside following at Dale Cemetery, about 9 miles west.

Flying In for Funeral Services

If anyone is planning on flying in, here is a link to Shawnee Regional Airport.

http://www.shawneeairport.com/

Transportation from the airport to the services will be provided at the thoughtfulness of Aircraft Specialties Services. Please check with the FBO for contact information upon arrival.

A sad loss, but in my experience, the company Monty built is in very capable hands (X2) and will continue to thrive and build upon his legacy.

Monty's family got a beautiful day to send him on. The service was comfortable, in that old-school way, a validation of a life lived well. Final rest is on a pretty Oklahoma hilltop. Doesn't get much better.

Here's that RV grin. See you around buddy.

Monty%20and%20Me%20350w.jpg

I never got to meet Monty... but Allen and Rhonda are my good friends, and I offer them my most sincere condolences.

I did my own personal toast to Monty Barrett this afternoon. Godspeed, Monty.
(technical aside: yes, it's been humid in Michigan; time to change out the desiccant in the dehydrator plugs again. Can you tell which cylinder has both valves closed?)
0c-DlcS7UfYMFw70kK3iCKQp4cL5qKzCNtxhuUTVuj9bnTiHzFPbSa_1pL6qBvBrXsrrU6e9c6UJiOE80r0oI7r9ysg35yLr4HMngEEmPR0AKZDBe1f-iz9P2wFnN8JneqgruhoPD0OmmCVFSLHECF1G9ypY6U-0R-szmNxB5IMZ_ISlgWhVb_pzFMJ1C2KuIlnezcJbzH5hTXbqp6vQnz_Fu8Sp4XV9N3k0oa4rqX5ZkpPWZiP_1BbR2a5MnOxqkBzBhLEmFD5_9hRkf9pWbCVs3l5UGa9eNek7z6Sbd_ElwLtsRyBWNvEKmhkLIyTz8US0vxE4jMah6PtO4SaLXumGHpX8JkVKoQUWIMXNkr4AQ_pPndkt9U8T0fusoSXBOEuCYhTw97OSi5X1byU4sShmIur0rp0COss11C-r0HIDo2UF0A2Z6AsypJA1TaHTzVOUf78zhJDDq6MaRO2Mdi5N4WjJoXIR3__Hbm15JFEHMwvfJBWKRnxFQAy-XzhaYk1RBqD1VzSdV-DT5IRNRMWTEZFyjm10knpR5-xwOgSmT81Nzr1C3Z6u5G0n-ZQ2sNsyHbEck4PQos6YrTV4XIkkbyTEnQcxJrZMtJE=w1299-h974-no

I did my own personal toast to Monty Barrett this afternoon. Godspeed, Monty.
(technical aside: yes, it's been humid in Michigan; time to change out the desiccant in the dehydrator plugs again. Can you tell which cylinder has both valves closed?)
0c-DlcS7UfYMFw70kK3iCKQp4cL5qKzCNtxhuUTVuj9bnTiHzFPbSa_1pL6qBvBrXsrrU6e9c6UJiOE80r0oI7r9ysg35yLr4HMngEEmPR0AKZDBe1f-iz9P2wFnN8JneqgruhoPD0OmmCVFSLHECF1G9ypY6U-0R-szmNxB5IMZ_ISlgWhVb_pzFMJ1C2KuIlnezcJbzH5hTXbqp6vQnz_Fu8Sp4XV9N3k0oa4rqX5ZkpPWZiP_1BbR2a5MnOxqkBzBhLEmFD5_9hRkf9pWbCVs3l5UGa9eNek7z6Sbd_ElwLtsRyBWNvEKmhkLIyTz8US0vxE4jMah6PtO4SaLXumGHpX8JkVKoQUWIMXNkr4AQ_pPndkt9U8T0fusoSXBOEuCYhTw97OSi5X1byU4sShmIur0rp0COss11C-r0HIDo2UF0A2Z6AsypJA1TaHTzVOUf78zhJDDq6MaRO2Mdi5N4WjJoXIR3__Hbm15JFEHMwvfJBWKRnxFQAy-XzhaYk1RBqD1VzSdV-DT5IRNRMWTEZFyjm10knpR5-xwOgSmT81Nzr1C3Z6u5G0n-ZQ2sNsyHbEck4PQos6YrTV4XIkkbyTEnQcxJrZMtJE=w1299-h974-no

#1 cylinder has both both vales closed. The BLUE desiccant is the clue.

Class Act

Several years ago a neighbor built an intentionally very light Bearhawk and queried me as to what power plant I would choose. The IO-540 C4B5 was suggested by myself but my neighbor went one step further:
He purchased a Reno race-ready Barrett IO-540 (dynoed over 330HP) intended for a Glasair. The Glasair owner evidently ran short of funds and it was purchased from Barrett outright.

During the installation process I contacted Barrett Precision Engines as to their recommendations, break in numbers etc. Through the process I got to know them, albeit at a distance as to the quality of Monty's work, family and legacy.
Superb is a gross understatement.

Prayers forthcoming for his family.
V/R
Smokey

PS: The Bearhawk performance? Phenomenal...

Paired with a MT 3 blade aerobatic prop it would exceed 4000 FPM at SL solo and 2500 FPM at Leadville with 2 aboard and full fuel and best of all, turbine smooth...

Last edited:
Back