What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Alternators on a IO-540

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
I am looking at installing a "PLANE-POWER FLYSAFE ALTERNATOR FS1-14" alternator on the vacuum pad.

I have decided on a dual alternator setup, and the vacuum pad seems like a good idea, however, I can't find much information on dual alternator installations.

If there are any people who have a dual alternator installs on an IO-540 could you please share your experiences and provide feedback on:

a) what alternator did you use
b) how did you mount it
c) were there any mounting issues (i.e. Oil filter access, restrictions etc..)
d) anything else I/we should know

It is the same old adage, "you don't know what you don't know"

Thanks in advance.

I am looking at installing a "PLANE-POWER FLYSAFE ALTERNATOR FS1-14" alternator on the vacuum pad.

I have decided on a dual alternator setup, and the vacuum pad seems like a good idea, however, I can't find much information on dual alternator installations.

If there are any people who have a dual alternator installs on an IO-540 could you please share your experiences and provide feedback on:

b) how did you mount it

Thanks in advance.

There are many instances of B&C SD-20s being installed in RV-10s. Until the plane power unit was released, that was really the only widely available option. As with the unit you are looking at, it is mounting on the vacuum pad.

Mounting issues will depend on which version of the 540 you have and the other accessories. I have the OEM 540 through Van's. Oil filter access isn't a problem on my engine. I didn't install any of the angled adapters for the filter, although I'm aware that B&C has many different length pieces to accomodate just about any installation.

I installed my SD-20 while the engine was on the bench. If it was hung with the engine on the engine mount, it would have been a royal PITA. Even then I had to cut a ratcheting wrench down to about 2" long to tighten one bolt.

The Plane Power unit isn't all that old. Ask Plane Power if they have units installed in other RV-10s. Plane Power was very helpful in the situation I had in which a Van's change to the engine configuration caused an issue with the primary alternator alignment.

bob

I have the SD-20 on the vac pad. I also have the Raven adapter.
vac_adapter_(2).jpg

Also have the airwolf remote oil filter which was required for my tight FW installation.
http://www.airwolf.com/images/OilFilterKits.jpg

I use this adjustable voltage regulator. WAY cheaper than the one from B&C. I have the voltage set to 13.8. Main alternator is at 14.1.
IB301A.jpg

This setup works and is used often (meaning the SD unit kicks in) for our teams night show. With the added lights and things we use, my 50amp was not keeping up. This SD-20 has done the trick for me. It was a VERY tight install for me, but fits.

I'm going with the 2-alt setup. My primary is a PlanePower 70amp (AL12-EI70/B) and my back-up is the FS1-14 mounted the vacuum pump pad--no mounting or clearance issues but it's close as there's a lip on the FS1-14 that is about 1/32" from the oil filter. There's basically only one way it will go on without hitting the filter. My engine is a C4B5 and I'm not using any kind of oil filter adapters.

Last edited:
I have the standard 60A plane power and the B&C 20A on the vacuum pad. I didn't have any problems fitting either with the engine on the mount.

60A goes to main buss and 20A to ESS buss with appropriate relay/switching. The electrical system works as advertised but I haven't fired up the engine yet to see if the alternators do what I expect.

The only thing I would say is that the B&C with the regulator is a relatively pricey option.

Plane Power x2

I have the 60 amp plane power on my IO-540, normal location. I have the FS1-14 on the vacuum pad. Mounts easy, doesn't conflict with anything (I have the straight oil filter mount, not the 90). I have mine connected, per VPX recommendation, such that both alternators will not be on at the same time. That allows the VPX to detect a drop in amps, notifying me to switch to the 30 amp backup. By the way, unless I have a bunch of lights on or heated pitot, my normal amp draw in flight is less than 30 amps, so I can pretty easily fly VFR on the backup alone.

A note: if you connect it like this, you don't want the FS1-14, which produces 13.6V, you want the FS1-14b which puts out 14.2V. The FS1-14 is designed to be a traditional backup in which it runs in the background all the time but doesn't put out amps unless the voltage drops below 13.6, then it kicks in. It's not a huge deal, but I figured it out after I installed mine.

Just a couple of thoughts......not trying to talk you out of anything.

My first Rocket was dual alternator, my second was dual battery. Same redundancy and much cheaper and simpler.

If your IO-540 is hopped up at all, like 9 to 1 or 10 to 1 pistons, you have to stay away from the SD-8 alternator. The engine pulses will ultimately shear the gear pin. You'll have to go with the SD-20. This was info I got from the engine builder so take it for what its worth.

I had a 60 amp primary and B&C 20 amp on my first -10. As mentioned, you can get into some fit issues potentially. For example, if you've got a B&C angled oil filter adapter and want to use an SD-20 also, you'll need the spacer kit that B&C has - it moves the SD-20 aft about 3/4" for clearance.

Bob

I have the 60 amp plane power on my IO-540, normal location. I have the FS1-14 on the vacuum pad. Mounts easy, doesn't conflict with anything (I have the straight oil filter mount, not the 90). I have mine connected, per VPX recommendation, such that both alternators will not be on at the same time. That allows the VPX to detect a drop in amps, notifying me to switch to the 30 amp backup. By the way, unless I have a bunch of lights on or heated pitot, my normal amp draw in flight is less than 30 amps, so I can pretty easily fly VFR on the backup alone.

A note: if you connect it like this, you don't want the FS1-14, which produces 13.6V, you want the FS1-14b which puts out 14.2V. The FS1-14 is designed to be a traditional backup in which it runs in the background all the time but doesn't put out amps unless the voltage drops below 13.6, then it kicks in. It's not a huge deal, but I figured it out after I installed mine.

Douglas, once you found out about the difference between the 14 and 14B, what did you do? Change the 14 for the 14B? Leave things the way they were configured? Change the configuration? I am at the same place, and have already bought the 14. Wondering the best way to go here. Thanks.

Douglas, once you found out about the difference between the 14 and 14B, what did you do? Change the 14 for the 14B? Leave things the way they were configured? Change the configuration? I am at the same place, and have already bought the 14. Wondering the best way to go here. Thanks.

I also have this setup. With the 14. It is not a problem, it just has a slightly lower voltage.

b) how did you mount it

Thanks in advance.
There are many ways to skin this cat....

I have the B&C 40 amp and the SD-20

The SD-20 is on the vacuum pad - it's straightforward except for the 4th nut. After some asking around I noted that Snap-on sells a cut down crows foot wrench specifically for that nut (around $30).

I have an Aeroelectric Z-14 with 2 batts, 2 alts and dual buses. I love the symmetry and the robustness both in the air and on the ground. Everything is hooked together for starts, otherwise I run the buses as 2 separate systems.

My only regret is not replacing the light weight starter on the engine. Waiting for it to fail.

Bill "I love the Bahamas" Watson

Hey Guys

Re the lower voltage (FS1 -14) Plane Power Alternator.

If you want it to have the higher output of the FS1-14B then just buy the 14B regulator & change it out, simple as that ;) Hope this helps for those with the VP-X system.

Jake J

I have a National Airparts 70 amp and the SD-20 on the vacuum pad. My engine is an IO-540-C4B5 and I tried every combination of angled adapters and extensions I could find from B&C and another vendor that I cannot remember right now. Tempest maybe?? Anyway, I could not make it work, so I installed the Air Wolf remote oil filter on the lower RH firewall and all is well. I suspect this may be a C4B5 issue, since lots of other builders seem to make the SD-20 fit with oil filter adapters and extensions. I really like the clean and easy oil filter changes with the Air Wolf setup.

Plane power fits

I have a BPE C4B5. The FS-14B was no problem to install. It has internal voltage reg, puts out 14.2(I believe) and with no adapters for the oil filter it went on in 3 minutes.

IO-540 D4A5 install of FS1-14B

Has anyone installed the plane power FS1-14B on the new engines coming out of Lycoming (through Vans) as is? Appreciate hearing about any validation or not of this combo.
Cheers, Mike

Thanks Bill!

Good to hear and thank you for taking the time to post/reply. few months to go before we go "wheels up", always nice to hear about another 10 going airborne. Cheers, Mike

Mine

I replied earlier to this thread and just noticed someone asked what I did once I figured out my FS-14 only produced 13+ V. I sent it back to Plane Power and they converted it to the FS-14b for me and I've been happy ever since. However, I'm working on and RV-7 with the same vacuum pad and the owner wants to have the backup alternator. The way his system is wired, I'll probably install the 13+V FS-14 with it's own 30-amp fuse, but "t" it to the main buss along with the main 60-amp alternator. They'll both be "on" when the alternator switch is on. If the main alternator fails, the voltage would drop below 14, a warning would sound to notify the pilot of the failure, but the FS-14 would kick in at 13+V and run the system just fine. I haven't done this yet but am planning on it after it's flying for him.

No problems with SD-8

I've had the SD-8 on the IO-540-D4A5 with 9:1 pistons for 1000 hours with no problems, and on my first RV-10 with 9.2:1 pistons for 800 hours with no problems. I know early on B&C had some problems with the coupling shearing, but they fixed that with a stronger coupling.

Just recently went to the B&C 40 amp on the vacuum pad so it would carry the whole load if needed.

Vic

Back