What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C alternator brushes

Sounds like a great question to pose to B&C directly.

Indeed (did you see the time stamp of my op? They were closed. Sometimes we refer to our knowledgable, 24/7 community for answers when vendors are closed)

However I did get a helpful pm saying B&C will not sell parts. If your ($2) brushes are worn, you must send it in for overhaul.

Pull out the brushes, go by your local automotive alternator/starter repair and tell 'em you need some brushes for your airboat. They will fix you right up for just a few dollars.

What makes you think it needs new brushes? B&C recommends OH at TBO, I sent my 40A alt in at 1500hrs for a check-up, turns out it didn't really need anything and was working fine when I removed it for some other work. I had them do the full treatment anyway as long as it was there.

By the time the brushes are worn out, the commutator may also need to be cleaned/trued up, and the bearings should be inspected carefully or just replaced as preventative maint.

This is assuming the brushed did not have some kind of early failure.

final follow up
new brushes
new slip ring
new bearings
new aft housing
Auto shop matched it to a Denso model.
$220
working like a charm now.

What makes you think it needs new brushes? B&C recommends OH at TBO, I sent my 40A alt in at 1500hrs for a check-up, turns out it didn't really need anything and was working fine when I removed it for some other work. I had them do the full treatment anyway as long as it was there.
What was the charge by B&C for the full treatment?

George

Back