What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail Wheel Weight

Pin 21

Can anybody tell me what their aircraft weighed on the tailwheel in the 3 point position ? I did a rough check on mine on the weekend in the 3 point position and it looks like I might have a big problem:mad:

Don't know why you would weigh it in the 3-point position, but mine weighs 75 pounds in the level position if that helps.

Mine weights about 70 level. Don't know exactly in the 3 point position but do know it is quite a bit more. Why do you think you have a problem?

Avg weight

There is a sticky where lots of folks have posted their tailwheel weights. Seems like most are in the 70's. With CS prop and empty weight, mine is 56#. With Catto prop and full fuel, it goes up to 74#. Mine is a -9 so will differ some.

Why do you think you have a problem?

I did a quick check without jacking the aircraft and the tailwheel weight is approx 115 lb in the 3 point attitude,that is the reason I asked if anybody knew the weight in that position, I have seen the sticky with tailwheel weights in the level attitude and I have started to panic :eek:

level and reweight

Level plane then reweight just the tailwheel. I bet it comes back to the 70's.

49 lbs - Weighed while level, canopy closed, O-360, Catto prop, etc.

Oh, and this is an RV-9.

I'd like to know the load on the tailwheel in the 3-point attitude, too.

I'll ratio it back to my RV-3B (still in progress) and use it for figuring various ground-handling things.

Dave

Tail wheel wt

RV-6 level attitude, canopy closed, fixed pitch was 66# at the tail wheel. Total was 999#.

Thanks Bill Dicus, thats what I was looking for, I want to compare apples with apples, looks like I might have a problem because mine was 114 lb in 3 point attitude. I will be getting it officially weighed in about a week, then I will know what it is in the level attitude, but it looks like it is going to be heavy when compared to yours. :(

Back