What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI vs JPI bar graph monitors?

kcameron

Well Known Member
I'm planning to add a bargraph type engine monitor with fuel flow and totalizer to my RV4's panel. Peferably, it should fit in the existing 2.25" hole that houses my current EI US-8A egt/cht scanner. I had been planning to go with the EI UBG-16 unit since it's compatible with my existing probes. However, after using the US-8A, I'd like to get an instrument with quicker egt response time if possible. I've found it frustrating to find the peak egt due to the slow response.

I've been looking at the JPI EDM 700. JPI claims that their egt probes are much quicker than EI's. That's what I'm looking for but EI claims that there's no difference in an real-world installation.

Anyone out there know if the JPI is, in fact, quicker? Are there other factors I should be considering?

Only that EI has treated the RV community pretty well over the years.

JPI on the other hand.......

Cheers,
Stein
RV6's, Minneapolis

I have a UBG 16 in my plane. I cannot imagine anything running,registering, measuring faster. It has a lean find function from either side of peak.

EI has always been helpful and easy to deal with.

I am putting a JPI in my new plane as it is the only one I can fine for 9 cylinders. JPI has been responsive and easy to deal with. It is my understanding this has not always been so.

ubg165ij.jpg

Differences

I own and use both, and I'm going with JPI for a third.

JPI boots in the scan mode (that's what it should do, being a scanner!). EI has to be manually put into the scan mode, one more checklist to-do.

JPI scans voltage as a standard feature. You have to buy a pricey transducer for EI to do the same thing.

EI has bent over backwards answering questions and sending me stuff I beg off them. No experience with JPI.

EI is entirely front programmable. You might ask JPI if they now offer this (my 700 is 7 years old).

Lean find is little value to me. I know the planes' feeding habits well enough and which cylinders peak first that I just "big pull" then tweak while observing my favorite cylinder. Either scanner gets impatient of me dawdling so can declare false peaks.

John Siebold

I've got the EI installed for about 5 hours now. EI's support is second to none. Yeah, you need to buy some module boxes for a few things, but the price of the unit I got offset that.

Probes? I don't think a "faster" probe would do anything for me.

JPI? They will never get my business...I don't care what they come out with. Too much bad blood there...search the Matronics archives for that one if you aren't familiar.

I like supporting the little guy whenever possible. EI isn't quite the little guy in the scope things, but they sure act like it. Very responsive, polite, helpful beyond belief. That's enough for me.

EI Story

It's been a few years, so I'll post this one again.

I was building my RV-6A back in 1999 or so. I had some instruments in open boxes on the floor under a table. I brought my dogs in the garage for the night, and you can guess what happened.

I had an EI fuel meter in a box. My dog chewed the wiring harness right out of the back of it. I called EI, and told them about it. They said send it back. They said they would just bill me for the repair, which I agreed.

It came back via 2nd day air, with a new harness installed, an invoice that showed the install, re calibration, etc, etc. Also on the invoice was printed "In the future, please keep animals away from our instruments. We've got some employees here that don't get fed well enough and sometimes mistake our supplies for food, so we understand"

Keep reading, it gets better.

There was no charge..not even for the 2 day shipping.

Then, as I was about to throw the box away, I saw a little part of a ziploc bag sticking up out of the peanuts. I took out the bag, and there was a dog biscuit in the bag!!

That sold me...I've since bought 2 more EI instruments, and will buy more.

pbesing said:
It's been a few years, so I'll post this one again.
Then, as I was about to throw the box away, I saw a little part of a ziploc bag sticking up out of the peanuts. I took out the bag, and there was a dog biscuit in the bag!!

That sold me...I've since bought 2 more EI instruments, and will buy more.

Paul, a very funny and persuasive story.

Quick note about EI probes

If you want the fast probes as most will agree are a required ingredient for LOP ops (I'm sure Walter will chime in here), you can get them from EI too.

Just tell them that is what you want. There may be an upcharge however, but they are available from EI too.

Thanks for the input, guys. It sounds like EI is a great company to work with. If I go that way, I'll get their quicker probes. However, I checked the EI website again after my post. I had been assuming that the UBG-16 included a fuel totalizer with the fuel flow option (like their FP-5L). I see now that it doesn't. I consider the totalizer to be an important feature. Without it, I'm not sure I can justify making the change. So, I'm currently leaning toward the JPI EDM 700.

Back