What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with exhaust fitting

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Im not sure if this section is the bes one or engines. ANyway - I received my 4-pipe Vetterman exhaust via Van's. I am fitting the pipes to a Lycoming IO-320 that has a Superior cold air sump and induction pipes.

The exhaust pipes for cylinders 4.2 and 3 (that being the ordered I fitted them in) are all fine. In particular cylinders 4 and 2 sit together very nicely.
THe problem is with cylinder 1. It is far too close to the induction pipe and the only way I can get it to fit at all is with the section after teh ball joint at a very strange angle.

I hope the photos are clear enough to show the problem. Can anyone identify where I've gone wrong?

Here you can see the pipes from cylinders 2 and 4 nicely aligned:

V0zRyK.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]

Here the pipe from cylinder 1 is going off at a funny angle:

And here you can see how close the exhaust is to the induction pipe

Viewed from the front it looks like the top section should be longer and straighter to get the pipe below the induction pipe and outside the pipe from cylinder 3.

Many thanks for help.

Chris

You need a one off exhaust from Clint. Clint made an awesome exhaust for my -4 with the superior sump. Give him a call and he will get you set up. He runs #1 inside of the intake pipe.

29gfwuc.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yep. call Clint and show him the pictures. He will let you know what's needed. Similar situation for me. In the end, I changed to a trombone exhaust, but for specific reasons. That was after he adjusted my exhaust for the Superior sump as well. Great service and great product.

Exhaust

Ok so why not do the first thing which is contact the guy who made it. Could be he never has been contacted about that problem always do that before getting wound up and going to another supplier. Then if that outfit cannot fix the problem then move on.

Ok so why not do the first thing which is contact the guy who made it. Could be he never has been contacted about that problem always do that before getting wound up and going to another supplier. Then if that outfit cannot fix the problem then move on.

He is kind of doing that.
"Clint" is Vetterman exhaust....kind of #2 guy after Larry Vetterman.
I think the problem is the exhaust was ordered through Van's and he didn't get exactly what was needed. Pretty sure a call to Vetterman or Clint, will get him straightened out 110%.

Shawn: That is a beautiful setup you have there.

Whatever one uses.....be sure to coat the ball joints and slip joints with high temp anti-seize.

Last edited:
Clint is very helpful...

So the offending pipe is now with Clint for modification. Very easy to contact, very helpful about what needed to be done.

Since this problem seems to be fairly common and Clint knows about it, I contacted Vans and suggested that maybe they could have some helpful info on the Vans web site. Surprisingly - to me anyway - there was less than enthusiasm about flagging this issue up. Just the " there is a wide range of possible engine, engine accessory and aircraft combinations", which I understand completely, but I would have thought that the Superior sump was a pretty commonly used bit of kit. I didn't have any problem with the exhaust on the Superior IO-360 on my RV-8, so presumably its an O-320 specific problem.

Chris

Back