What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1" hole through both F-770 and F-7101

mg1003

After an 8 month break I am trying to restart my RV-7A.
I have a question: There is a 1" hole shown for the the fuel line in the forward side skin (F-770) (just in front of the main spar). It appears that this hole will also need to enlarged in the gear attach web (F-7101-L and F-7101-R). Can anyone confirm this (or stop me from making a mistake)??

1" Hole

I used a Unibit (step drill) on the skin and on the gear doubler, enlarging the pre punched hole in each part. When I clecoed them back together, the 1" holes didn't quite match up.

Suggest you drill with the parts clecoed together first, then the 1" holes are sure to align.

small additional question related to this fuel line penetration of the side skin and F7101. The F7101 gear attach and F770 side skin sit quite far appart by the angles underneath. How does this work on for the future installation of the fuel line.
Will each 1" hole have it's own rubber grommet on it or will there be only one grommet that sits in the side skin and the second hole is just 1 inch size hole without grommet, or will the grommet go over both holes (which seems unlikely to me) ?

Holes

I waited till it was time to run fuel lines. I decided to buy TS Flightlines fuel lines. They're one piece from Anadir fuel selector to tank. I drilled the holes using a uninitialized big enough to clear the fitting. I put two grommets on the line and passed it through the hole then carefully coaxed the grommets into the side skin parts. It wasn't easy but one grommet wouldn't span both pieces. Mine is an "A" model so no fear parts there.

And then using compressed air and vacuum to try and get all those drillings out between the two pieces was fun :rolleyes:

When to drill the 1 inch holes?

Is there any reason to not drill the 1 inch hole in the skin and gear attach before riveting the forward fuselage?

I used a unibit and drilled working from both sides. I did mine while the pieces were clecoed together so I could then prime the holes.

I also bought some other grommets from McMaster at the recommendation of another VAFer that spanned the 2 pieces. I had to buy a bag of them so if you want a couple PM me your address and I'll send you a couple in the mail.

Back