What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen scratches

dacronwall

Well Known Member
Hey all
I had to replace the forward fuse panel on my RV-3. I reused the actual windscreen but remade the aluminum panel it attaches to, and boy was that fun getting all the holes to line up:-?
But I dorked up and scratched the windscreen a little while doing the epoxy attach and fairing along the intersection. I ordered a canopy/windscreen polishing-scratch removal kit from Vans today, but wondering if anyone has tips or suggestions as far as what technique to use, or other recommended procedure for removing the scratches.
You guys are usually good for a few suggestions...let me know if you can.
Thx
Dave

EAA

Check the Hints forHomebuilders video on EAA web site. They have a good video.

Thanks

Thanks for the link Smokey. I will see what Vans sends me. I have polished plexiglass before, but never something that would cost a whole bunch to replace if I screw it up.
I will post a follow up when I get it completed.
Dave

Micro-Mesh

I've done a few expen$ive sailplane canopies with the Micro-Mesh products shown in the EAA video with good results

It is slow but it will do the job well. I've seen some results of the "quicker", less steps methods and they can introduce optical distortion. The multiple steps and ever-expanding area of the Micro-Mesh prevents this from happening.

Just don't rush the job and follow the instructions carefully. :)

Safe, scratch-free cleaning of Lexan/plexiglass

I hope you have success in removing your windshield scratches.

FYI - to eliminate the chance of scratching when cleaning your windscreen in the future, please consider using our SUPERBIRD "Super Cloth." It is composed of a unique material that is specially designed for scratch-free and effective cleaning of expensive Lexan/plexiglass:

SUPERBIRD "Super Cloth"
https://www.superbirdclean.com/prod...on-to-vans-air-force-for-each-cloth-purchased

What's more, order Super Cloths using this link and we will donate $1.00 from every cloth purchase to Doug Reeves/Van's Air Force! :D

Back