What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy gas springs

Don E

Well Known Member
I?m just 28 hours into Phase I and having trouble with the gas springs being unable to support the weight of the canopy. I ordered and just received replacements from Vans; but before i go to the trouble to install them, is anyone else having this trouble? Anyone used a different gas spring (stronger?) Never mind the wind blowing it shut; with temps below freezing it won?t stay up in the shelter of a hangar.

I?ve read that some replace the gas springs on their tip-up 7s and 7As every two years, so apparently they wear out. Mine are... new but useless. Would love to know what others are doing. Otherwise, Phase I is going very well, and the airplane flies like a dream! It is a tail dragger, which puts the canopy at a little more difficult angle to support than the A models.

Thanks.

Struts

Don, scroll down on today?s post and you will find a thread titled
?Found, cheaper source of canopy struts? it explains what struts others are using.

Got it

Yes, i read that, but i don?t think they are the same as what are used on the RV-14 and 14A. Does anyone know? The ones I got from Vans are not a similar model #.

Thanks, Scott

What makes it more difficult is that the Stabilus website doesn?t seem to list the gas springs i have, so i cannot assess whether or not thereis a stouter one in the same size. They don?t seem to be the easiest bunch to connect with, either. Thanks for confirming they are different; i?ll keep working it.

Mine is a RV-14A, so I don't have the deck angle problem, but the original struts are going strong after 2 years. I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.

Also, cold temp effect these just as any of them including those in the car. This is just in case that yours are fine but cold temp is effecting them.

Part of the story?

Also, cold temp effect these just as any of them including those in the car. This is just in case that yours are fine but cold temp is effecting them.

Yes, I know the cold temps reduce their strength. That?s why I hoped someone had addressed this issue. My canopy has made my RV-14 a two-person airplane just for one person to fly. The canopy needs support at all times if open below 30 degrees, and can?t be left open in any breeze at all below 50 degrees or so. It doesn?t seem right. In any case, it isn?t acceptable to me, so i am on the hunt for a 400N gas spring of the same size... if there is one. The current ones are 350N, about 78 pounds, rated. Fifteen percent stronger would be about 90 pounds... Just be careful with them; it came down on my head and left hand over two weeks ago when i thought it would stay up, and my head and hand are both still healing. If it?s just the cold, surely others must be experiencing similar issues.

Yes, I know the cold temps reduce their strength. That?s why I hoped someone had addressed this issue. My canopy has made my RV-14 a two-person airplane just for one person to fly. The canopy needs support at all times if open below 30 degrees, and can?t be left open in any breeze at all below 50 degrees or so. It doesn?t seem right. In any case, it isn?t acceptable to me, so i am on the hunt for a 400N gas spring of the same size... if there is one. The current ones are 350N, about 78 pounds, rated. Fifteen percent stronger would be about 90 pounds... Just be careful with them; it came down on my head and left hand over two weeks ago when i thought it would stay up, and my head and hand are both still healing. If it?s just the cold, surely others must be experiencing similar issues.

Thanks for the heads up and warning. Actually, mine are not that great either and they have just entered the service only a couple of months ago. They will hold up the canopy if it is all the way up, but as I push it up, I need to make sure it is not half way up and let go, unlike my old 7 which seemed a lot more positive.
If you found a better set, please let us know. I would probably replace mine for that bit of an assurance.

If you purchase struts that end up being too strong, try one strong one on the pilots side only..... providing you only open and close your canopy from this side. Doing this allows you to install a much stronger strut to hold up the canopy without causing the canopy to twist.

Keep in mind the increased closed pressure on the forward strut mount will need to be braced.

If you purchase struts that end up being too strong, try one strong one on the pilots side only..... providing you only open and close your canopy from this side. Doing this allows you to install a much stronger strut to hold up the canopy without causing the canopy to twist.

Keep in mind the increased closed pressure on the forward strut mount will need to be braced.

This is the RV-14 forum. The canopy struts function in an entirely different way than on the other side by side RV's

... I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.

Just wondering if keeping the canopy open when the aircraft is not in use is common practice? Is this recommended by anyone with data to extend the life of the springs? I finally have my aircraft tucked away in her own hangar and was struggling with whether to leave the canopy open or not. What about spiders and dust?

... I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.

Just hope one of the struts doesn't give out ... that canopy will slam down and sure to damage something.

Mine is a RV-14A, so I don't have the deck angle problem, but the original struts are going strong after 2 years. I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.

I have a different model (RV-6) but as a general rule I never turn my back on the plane with the canopy open.....just too high a risk to run if something happens and it slams shut. My RV-6 is twenty years old and the struts have been replaced three times.

If the canopy needs to remain open, cut a length of fuel hose to fit between the strut and longeron, Slit it and place over the strut rod so it acts as a safety.

Last edited:
This is not a possability on a 14 or 14A.

I have a different model (RV-6) but as a general rule I never turn my back on the plane with the canopy open.....just too high a risk to run if something happens and it slams shut. My RV-6 is twenty years old and the struts have been replaced three times.

If the canopy needs to remain open, cut a length of fuel hose to fit between the strut and longeron, Slit it and place over the strut rod so it acts as a safety.

14s have a totally different system. I done leave mine open if I can avoid it, even during pre-flight or fueling. Open to get in or out only. A couple of slams shut with only minor injuries and no damage to airplane and I?m convinced closed is the only option.

The Struts can be reconditioned/refilled and the N can be increased to your specifications, within reason. No first hand experience but have been told that the struts receive their charge through the piston end when they are enclosed in a sealed chamber

Back